The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Perhaps the time to add them is in the expansion, but when I see a unit like the Colossus which is SO particular, I think "gotta give players a way to make it tougher."

The situation:
    - Collossus can be targeted as air and as ground.
    - Collossus can only target ground units.
    - Colossus is a very big and high-priority target.
    - The sweeping beam may not be as effective as Blizzard advertises: if units are running or spaced out a bit, it may lose a great deal of effectiveness.

Now, the Colossus does obviously have some advantages that mitigate the above:
    - It can walk up and down cliffs and, as shown in the demo, over swarms of melee units like a Zealot army.
    - It does have a lot of hit points.
    - The beam appears to do normal damage, so it is equally effective against a variety of ground targets and buildings.

But, to really help the colossus along, I think it would be good for Blizzard to introduce some additional upgrade for that unit. One of the following would add a lot to the strategies you can use with this unit:
    - "Focusing Prism": the Colossus' thermal lances move between dying units more quickly
    - "Aegis Targeting Acquisition": the thermal lances are upgraded to target air units with a distinct attack that does line damage, decreasing in intensity. The graphics also show the thermal lances extending much further before finally fading out, as would happen if they were shot into the air rather than straight at the ground.
    - "Leg Armor": the Colossus' feet become reinforced (with some subtle in-game graphics) against melee attacks

Thoughts?

2. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Have you even seen the gameplay video? IT's pretty fast, and if the enemy is spread out, then that means the sweeping effect will inflict more damage, since the units will be in a row. It can also be used as an artillery with immortals in the front taking fire.
    I think all of your upgrades will make it much stronger than it should be, since you're just trying to weed out all of its weaknesses. Then where will the enmy be? Maybe, if you really think it's too weak, it should gain new abilities and not more upgrades, since that would be more dependant on how much you really care. An ability will give the unit better uses, but will also take more effort and time to use, making it cost efficient and balanced. Not that I think it needs any, but that's just my opinion.

3. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

the old reaver, which this is supposed to replace, had a few upgrades, so i don't see why this wont. not like what you said though.

i'd really like to let it target two enemies at once, but that might bea bit much.

4. Wrathbringer

Wrathbringer New Member

I believe the Colossus had a shield upgrade at Blizzcon, but I could be wrong. However I don't really feel like the Colossus needs any other upgrades, so long as the damage and shields can be upgraded normally it'll fair quite well. Sure it can be targeted by AA and anti-ground attacks, but with a healthy supply of shields and health it won't fall too easily.

5. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

ye it has shieild upgrades which bring it up about 200 points

6. kraft

kraft New Member

all units must got a weekness, and the colosso weekness is can't fire to air units, i like that, buy one thing a don't like... the Missile Torrents, and all unit fire only to air, can atack the colosso,... is so mush debilitys of only one unit, a great unit...

7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Hmm, the only upgrade I would like to see is a range upgrade, since it is used as a support units behind the front lines. This is the most logical thing to do, since the Colossus replaces the reaver, and the reaver had a great range.

It would also be a great siege weapon against bunkers/sunken- and spore colonies, because now the Protoss don't have any weapon with a great range, but the Terrans still do and the Zerg don't really need one and it doesn't fit their style at all. And don't forget that the Protoss are highly advanced in their technologie, so it's a bit strange that the Terran now have the two units with the biggist ranges (Siege Tank and Thor).

8. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

attacking from great distances is for the weak! The protoss prefer to watch their enemies be sliced and diced from up close :p

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I think that the Colossus is good as it is. It doesn't need any new abilities or upgrades.
    :stupid: by Fo®Saken

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Could be true, but why is everyone so pissed off that they removed the reaper if they thinck attacking from a distance is weak? And attacking from a distance isn't weak, it's just smart not to risk to mant losses in battle, the Protoss are proud people, not stupid. :stupid: 8)

11. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Hey! That sign points to me!

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    ??? Whoops! Didn't notice that, sorry! (but thanks for the correction) :thumbup:

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

, i really like the collosus as it is now, two of them killed about 30 zerglings, btw how do you do the im with stupid smiley?

14. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Go to reply and next to the other smileys (on the right) is a button ''more''. Or
    just type in :stupid : without space.

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

:stupid: :stupid: thanks :stupid: :stupid: :deal:

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I'm not to hot on the ideas. It isn't meant to be a siege weapon so it should have too long of a range and if it can hit air then mutalisks will be screwed. Remember the mutas advantage lies in being considered a small unit against explosive type weapons. The collosuss is designed to kill small units

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

increase range is ok, or increase movement speed

18. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Speed is good. It wouldn't be good if it's faster. But it will be good to increase range.

19. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Its not supposed to be an artillery though, its suppposed to be a units massacrer. And the collosus is NOT the direct reaver replacement. Just like the stalker and immortals arent direct replacements for dragoons. Same uses, different ideas. This unit is better at killing small units, which makes it more specialized, unlike the reaver who was your expensive, everything ground killing unit.

The collosus is perfect right now

20. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Thanks all for the comments. I see your points and generally agree.

I'll try to do better next time with my ideas. Then again, I am gearing up for a custom campaign map, so some of this might come to fruition yet...