The Big Dark Templar Citadel Thingies... Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Jul 12, 2007.

The Big Dark Templar Citadel Thingies... Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Well, it seems to be pretty apparent that these are infact defensive structures, as in many of the recent screenshots, there have been multiple "citadels" placed near strategic choke points or around the cliffs of bases to ward off aerial attackers.. While their abilities have not been made visible in any of these screenshots, I have an educated guess..
    Check out this screenshot http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/img_4704595.html and look at the "citadel" to the upper right. Notice, its crystal is a dull grey, as opposed to the vibrant blue of the others. Now, I would have to guess that we are looking at a new form of the Shield Battery... as these structures become low on energy, their crystals dim. If not, they may be some sort of "scout" tower with a long view range, as there are three heads on the sides of the crystal lattice, but that would be a pretty useless building, now wouldn't it?
    Thoughts?

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Wow dude, nice catch. That is a really awesome find.

3. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

I like the idea of them being sheild batteries, i think it could also be a DT pylon

4. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

True, but it would need to have some sort of added benefit, otherwise there would be no point in having it. Maybe a pylon/shield battery combo? That would explain why there are so many, and why the crystal is dimmed in that screenshot... we'll see!

5. Ych

Ych New Member

Very nice find and theory too. :powerup:

It really makes sense also because the screenshot you posted truely shows 2 different set of those Citadel buildings (1 is dark and 1 is blue). And yes, it makes sense that the dark one will probably be a shield battery with no energy, and the blue one will have energy. I also think there will also be some alternative abilities or upgrades through that building. That Citadel sure looks very good graphically. I'm liking it very much.

6. shanodin

shanodin New Member

Hmm. Pearhaps they are upgraded Pylons with much longer range , more powerful shield and HP, that would slowly recover the shields of all buildings and units within its range ?

Maybe it would detect invisible units within its range?

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Maybe they are stationary arbiters? I think they are shield batteries though since none of the units are concealed or look concealed.

8. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I have no idea what it can be. It looks pretty much like a observation towers but that would suck, unless they scrapped the observer =S

It might just be a production building put there for front line production.

9. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Nice analysis man  :powerup:

It could be a new form of the shield battery, but I dunno... it looks too tall to be one haha. You make it sound so convincing tho with the dimming of the crystals

10. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

when i first saw it, it reminded me of that pokemon that is blue and is like one of those punching bags that you punch and it always stands up again and that always comes out in super smash bros melee when you are looking for something halfway decent

but i think that is a very feasible theory

or maybe it is unpowered - it would be cool for the buildings to look different when there is no pylon around, as opposed to just saying "Unpowered" when you click on it like in SC1

if that is the case, maybe it's a stronger air defense tower

i just checked the screenshot again, and I think that it is unpowered, check out the field of the pylon near it (that doesn't mean that you weren't correct in it's function though, kehmdaddy)

EDIT: maybe it's a shield battery or some sort of docking thing for air units

11. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

thats a realy good point Nikzad, the tower is outside of pylon power, it could still be a sheild battery though

12. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Indeed a nice theory, however you seem to forget that the tower is outside the pylon aura, leaving it powerless. It is neat to see Protoss buildings powered down by showing a disabled state like that instead of having the words:

Unpowered

They will probably have it but actually seeing the structure dim definitely adds more to it.

EDIT - Damn it! Nikzad posted it before me..

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

bwahahahah, I STRIKE AGAIN

14. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Yeah... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, it would not make sense if they were shield batteries, because why would any player build units that have no shields against air attacks and have them square off against hostile air units (referring to the IGN screenshot of the Tempests vs. Mutalisk.) Also, why would any player build shield batteries at the furthest part of their base near terrain that is impassable to ground units.

These towers must server another purpose...

15. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

maybe repairing air units

who knows

air defense is more feasible i think

16. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

I doubt Protoss would have any sort of repairing ability in StarCraft 2. The towers as air defense seems likely, however they do not seem to be doing anything against the mutalisks that are near them. Perhaps these towers are "booster" buildings. I am thinking that they give nearby friendly units a power boost or an additional defensive aspect or both.

Here is what I noticed about these towers as I have seen them in screenshots. These towers are generally placed in areas of entrance, it is possible that these let off an aura that increase damage output or the toughness of units within the buildings radius. Though no aura circle is present in any screenshot for the tower... Damn tower!

17. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

^ I dont think blizz is gonna add any Repair for protoss.

-Edit- ImaGiNe. Was faster than me ^^

18. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I was thinking along the same lines as you ImaGiNe but I'm hoping they don't do the whole "aura" thing in SC2

19. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha good point... maybe it is unpowered

ahh we will know for sure soon

ick no aura power either

20. DontHate

DontHate New Member

hmm.. i'm thinking it's some sort of a defense tower but it isn't attacking any of the units... hmm...