The Archon Theory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Darth_Bane, Sep 1, 2007.

?

The Archon Theory what do you think?

1. Yes, all 3 Archons should be there

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just the Dark Archon and Twilight Archon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just the origionals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Just the regular Archon and the Twilight Archon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Just the Twilight Archon

100.0%
  6. No Archons at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

The Archon Theory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Darth_Bane, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    The Archon Theory is if you put two templars of any race together to begin a meld of minds and souls you get an Archon. Well if you put two High Templars of the Khala caste you get a 'light' Archon and if you put two Dark Templars of the Void caste you get a 'Dark' Archon. Now if you put together one from each caste you get a 'Twilight' Archon. Now we already had already known this. Thus comes the question why did I even mention this and that is because I want to ask why the heck would Blizzard get rid of the origionals if they are going to live up the Archon Theory? Well what do you think? I personally think that all 3 Archons should be in the game.

2. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

it was probably done to reduce the clutter in protoss ground. If they had had 3 archons back at the WW1 announcement there would have been way to many ground units with overlapping roles. In sc1 dark archons were fairly rare to see, so I'm happy that they took its most useful ability(feedback) and stuck it on a normal archon.

3. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    First, Welcome to Forums and have fun here its what its purpose it.

Second I believe a reasonable explanation to this would be from the Lore stand point that the Protoss need to come together as a race that is more together as the Protoss share a good deal of Human Emotions as they were created by us in a game and thus in our likeness. This close emotional resemblance needs to be balanced by the unity of both Dark Templar and Templar. Thus to create a more stable link they have begun to merge into a Hybrid that shares qualities of both Dark Templar and Templar. Thus the Twilight Archon was created. From a unit stand point the Protoss needed to be reduced to the size they had from the Original Starcraft and thus units needed to be scrapped. To do this both Archons were scrapped and a new one was created as so not to make the Dark Templar or Templar stronger and more preferable than the other type on the opposite side of the spectrum. As if you look at it from a outward perspective they are Opposites in what they perform and how they act save for the fact they are weak in the area of hit points game wise. The Dark Templar are Cloaked, Strong Melee attack fighters. The High Templar are Spell Casters that are just as valuable. When the Dark Templar combine energies they become a Spell Caster opposed to the High Templar who become a Strong Melee AoE fighter. To combine these roles would create a powerful Spell Caster/powerful Melee AoE Fighter. These Ideas combined resolved in the Twilight Archon.

4. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    hmm you are right I just want the Dark Archons abilitys back. If they put Mind Control into the Twilight Archon I will be really happy.

5. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

It would be great if they could put all three Archons into the game, but then the Protoss would have too many units. If Blizzard could find a way to get all three in there, then I would support it. :good:

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I would like to see the original Archon return, replaying it's role, and like the Twilight Archon to be a sort of "melding" of Twilight and Dark....Have a light attack, but still be a more spell oriented unit. However. I do NOT want to see Mind Control return. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Protoss player (DUH) and love it to pieces, but SC2 is a new game. I don't want a rehash of SC1.

That said, I want Feedback ;D

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    This is actually one of the main concerns we've had with the entire SC2 mechanics.

There should be some different types of Archons for different combinations of HT/HT/DT/DT.

Hopefully we'll see some sort of resolution to this soon. Or at least answers.

8. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

I really, REALLY, hope that they do all 3. But I honestly don't see it happening. The twilight archon would probably overlap both of the others. Also it might be difficult to balance the toss with all three and it would kind of clutter up the tech tree. It's much simpler this way... but I don't always like things to be simple. Go for all 3!

9. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

Most people know that the archon's powerful energy attack does area effect damage

I think that when an archon attacks, you should see a lightening effect where after the main attack hits a target, you see the energy spread from that unit to others around him. On the main site, in the action shot for archons, i see a single small zap jump from one unit to one next to him. That is the effect i am talking about, but i think it should be more prominent

like if theres a group of marines all close together and an archon hits one, i want to see the energy zap through the group like an electric shock spreading out from one to another eventually weakening out the farther it gets

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

What, like Psionic Chain Lightning?

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I cre - Uh, I mean....Nothing.....

12. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

yeah, to make the archon area effect look more prominent and noticable and really cool

13. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Hmm thats cool a chain lightning attack. So what happens if the group of marines keeps getting hit by multiple T Archons? I guess they all die from 4 attacks as my guess.

14. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

well it would depend on whether they are close by the units being attacked

i thought the further away from the focus of the attack, the weaker the area effect

so if there was one unit right next to all 4 attacks, he would die from the area damage
    if there ws one kinda further to the back of the group, he would be hurt less and not die

i guess then micromanaging is more important, you dont want them in a tight group because if they get hit with multiple attacks and are all heavily effected by the area dmg, they could be instantly wiped out.

15. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    That is exactly what I was talking about them being in a group of about 20 marines clustered together or you could force them to cluster together and then vaporise them in about 3 seconds with 2 T Archons. That would be sweet is the enitial attack is 40 damage instead of 30.

16. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

YEAH
    i really want to see the lightening spreading through the group more prominently

and this would also support the idea of basic army formations such as "disperse" which would prevent the archons from wiping them out so easily :powerup:

17. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

Hmm, Archons do form a small problem lore wise. The Twilight Archon is the creation by unifying the dark and light Protoss. This is their way of showing that they are now allied together as one race. Therefor, you would assume that a T-Archon would be light and dark. However, it can also be created by dark dark or light light. So what happened to the other two archons? Did they forget how to make them? Probably not. You can't form a shadow with just darkness or just light. Therefore, it makes sense story wise that the original Archons remain still, but this new one exists as a show of friendship.

However, this won't work out practically. Three different types of Archons is just clunky. Plus, the three aren't that different from each other. SO having all three would just be a crowd and redundant. Plus, gamewise, this could not be balanced very effectively. It would mess with the race as a whole

So, in my mind there are 2 options

1) Go back to the old Archon system, but add in the T-Archon. How ever, once one type of Archon is formed, it blocks the creation of different types. This would lead to intersting strategy choices and would hopefully make Blizzard create 3 very different Archons, each powerful in a certain aspect but not unbalanced since it can't be combine with the powers of the others.

2) Stick with the Twilight Archon but go to a composition system. A light and a dark templar would form the current T-Archon. Two light templar, however, would make a more melee oriented archon. One with higher damage and splash but no or a weak feedback ability. Then, two dark templar would form an archon with no splash, but a very powerful feedback or perhaps an additional ability.

18. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

So? What happened with the twilight archon?

Can be still be created with combinations of different templars?

19. Inpox

Inpox New Member

Re: So? What happened with the twilight archon?

Well i havent heard anything else then that so yeah i guess so

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL