The Apple ipad - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by the8thark, Jan 28, 2010.

The Apple ipad - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by the8thark, Jan 28, 2010.

1. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Well I want to ask something here, knowing the majority of people here are Windows users. Apple released the ipad today and what do you think of it? Or do you simply do not give two hoots about it?

If you want to see it, it is all over the Apple website now.

2. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

I talked about it today already. It is an expensive gadget. Nothing more.
    Sure it would be nice to find it under a Christmas tree but paying so much for something which does not have the portability of iPhone/PDA or the performance of a laptop? No thank you.
    If they at least put a decent camera on it so you can use it to take decent quality images or video but even that is missing.

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Huh, I thought people were purposefully mispronouncing 'ipod' for the humor.

In any case, it kind of looks like an oversized iphone, minus the phone.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

[​IMG]

That's all it is.

It's not even a true tablet, as there's no multitasking.

5. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

That's actually made for reading newspapers and magazine and having the convinience of beeing able to buy them anytime and anywhere. (Ibooks).
    With a non-lcd screen reading wouldn't hurt your eyes (if the decide to go with that other non-lcd screen called kimble or something)

Sceen is bigger and it's easier to read websites. Not as good as a laptop, but it has all the key functions. Videos are nicer to watch on that thing too.

6. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

That's what one of my friends defense was and I said I agree. It is good for online reading. But the cost of this thing is not justified. Unless it will be really cheap which I somehow doubt.
    I say let them release it. Plenty of people will buy it regardless of how useful or useless it might be simply because it has the 'i' in front of the Pod. I just don't feel like it is something great deserving of so much attention.

7. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    hahah ipad or ipod?

8. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    It just seems stupid to make something useless, laptops have better performance, whats the point of having an 'iPad' if it's just for surfing the net or reading? You can do that easily enough on a Desktop PC or Laptop!

9. Windblade

Windblade New Member

Chicago
    if you want to read a book get Sony's book reader thing

otherwise

it's junk. i'm sorry but apple is already a trashy company with trashy products, plz ipod and iphone? nothing new or revolutionary there, they hold the entire industry back - look at Japan their tech is eons ahead.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Personally, I like it.

It's got functionality which IMO the iPod and iPhone do not have. It's basically the Kindle with a better screen and apps.

I certainly think it could be improved and I feel like they should have sacrificed size for more functionality and durability (what's the battery life on this thing? Like 2 hours?). I also think the closed nature of Apple products is a downside since basically every piece of tech I buy I expect to be able to customize.

It's probably a piece of tech I will pass on.

11. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Just wait until they release a better version of the ipad, then buy it.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I haven't tested it (it hasn't been released yet, no ?) but I believe as other here that this product is just a bigger iphone.
    Here a big fan of Apple is very disappointed by the capacity of this ipad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=topvideos

Else, is the screen LCD or LED ?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  13. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Jon, the Ipad will have around 15 hours of battery time. (Again, for those who like to read a lot)

SOGEKING: LCD. That's the crappy thing.

I've heard they might go for the kimble screen or whatever it's called tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  14. the8thark

the8thark New Member

A little information about the ipad. Because some of the info said here is incorrect.

10 hours battery life according to Apple.
    LED screen
    And it can do some basic multitasking as can the ipod touch. Can play itunes while surfing the net. And you can get email notifications while using other apps. But a full blown multi-tasking like a computer. No it can't.

15. Driver RJ 117

Driver RJ 117 New Member

Canada
    It's an overpriced rather crappy mobile book. The Archos tablet is a better deal. It's 320 gb and it'son 300-600$ the IPad is 1500$ i believe

16. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Wrong ont he price, it's 499 and 699, depending on a few different things, like 3G connectivity.

I personally see no reason for its existence, aside to line Steve's pockets.

It does a lot of things, yes, but it doesn't do any of those well.

Ok, so you can surf the web with it. But guess what? You can't have AIM or MSN or Pigin or whatever open while you do that.
    You can read books on it, which is all fine and dandy. But the Kindle has that awesome e-ink thing going for it.
    You can watch movies on it, but the aspect ratio is 4:3, no widescreen.

I'm disappointed.

17. asdf

asdf New Member

it's a big toy. if you believe it's anything more than that, you're an apple fanboy, whether you admit it or not.

let's see:
    1. NO MULTITASKING. that alone means it's not a productivity device. i can't browse the web (i.e. research) while i'm composing a document? uh, yeah, thanks.

2. NO FLASH. ok, so you can open up a dedicated youtube app. oh wow, that just makes for a fantastic internet browsing experience. not like i ever go to web pages with embedded videos or flash games...

so, it's not a productivity device, it's an OK (certainly not "complete") internet device... what IS it good at?

3. NO E-INK. i know many people would prefer an LCD over E-ink screen, because it's much more versatile. however, e-ink does something VERY well, and that's display text. there's seriously no better screen technology out there for displaying text. you can read it outdoors. wait... what's the point of the ibook store then? oh, right, because steve doesn't believe people can possibly read a book for a few hours without taking a recharge break.

so, it's not a productivity device, it's an OK web browser, and it's an OK e-book reader. you know what else does all that?

a cheap netbook. in fact, a cheap netbook is a GREAT productivity device, because it can run nearly ANY windows app, it's a GREAT browser because you get to CHOOSE your browser (who likes firefox or chrome?) along with plugins (adblock, anyone?) and... well, an OK e-book reader, so that's about equal to the iPad.

what's the only thing that the iPad does better than anything else?

run iPhone apps on a big screen.

yup, you'll be spending $500 so you can iFart on 10 diagonal inches of glory.

18. Driver RJ 117

Driver RJ 117 New Member

Canada
    Lol that seems like something they'd make the iFart artificial fart noise generator.

And sorry on the price that was the estimate

19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

In that respect all computers are toys. Back in the 1980's people said a computer with a mouse was a toy. And now we can not live without our mouse. Give it a while and you'll see how common place and needed by people it will become. And I don't mean the ipad itself, more the idea the ipad is presenting. That one day something liek this will be able to do everything a netbook can. I can't today but in the future who knows.

20. Driver RJ 117

Driver RJ 117 New Member

Canada
    It's true the whole startrek touch screen holo pad will evetually be real and it will replace basically everything we use now (cells, camera, laptop, etc)