Terrans have too much ground aoe?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by surr, Aug 8, 2007.

Terrans have too much ground aoe?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by surr, Aug 8, 2007.

1. surr

surr New Member

I think the terrans are getting way too much aoe and heavy bombardement troops that seems to dominate a large group of ground anything.

so you have:

siege tanks ( long range splash bombardement)
    banshees (aoe bomb explosion)
    thor (250mm cannon and its normal aoe hit)
    ghosts (calling down the thunder)
    battlecrisers (aoe splash ability)

do you they have too much bombing attacks??

unlike the protoss which could damage one unit for large damage.. i suppose the terrans might be able to walk in with these siege things and level their opponent without harming a unit.
    (probaly more balancing later)

2. Ych

Ych New Member

I actually like the idea that Terrans in SC2 are going to specialize on heavy bombardments.
    After some thoughts, I'm also glad that Blizzard axed the Reavers because they are also bombarding units. It would be very cool and distinguish if the Protoss has no bombardments whatsoever but make up for it with other things.

That way, the SC2 race will be even more distinguish from each other.

3. surr

surr New Member

good point but dont you think some of these roles of terrans over lap each other? like battle ships turpedo and the thors 250 mm guns

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

If you think about it, the Terrans are the only one who it would make sense really. They use gunpowder *Or the future variant*, while the 'toss use energy, and I won't even mention the Zerg.

5. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Well, I guess thats what Immortals are for. Their shields are for heavy fire power. So against something like them it wont do that much damage. Even in the first Starcraft they had seige tanks, nukes, vulture mines, and firebats that did splash damage and the Protoss and Zerg were still able to manage. They aren't THAT wide of aoe attacks anyway and leaves the units vunverable, espeically the thor. There are plenty counters for each of those units.

Aoe and ranged power fire is also a trait of the Terrans just like saying the Protoss have too much shields and HP, and the Zerg are too many and fast.

Also understand in Starcraft great strengths also have great weaknesses.

6. surr

surr New Member

but by the way their going with splash.. the only thing left of ur base would be ur immortals..

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Meh. Immortal rush them.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I would really doupt that when you add stuff the current MS (unfotuneatly) and the carrier which have tons of shields and health which can just unload on the units you listed.

9. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Not really, if you microed properly and used the right tactics against it. I played Protoss alot in the first starcraft and also have dealt with this heavy splash ranged firepower. One favorite tactic was to leave dark templars in key ambush postions, by the time they scanned or detected it their seige tanks and other artillery would have suffered a great blow while the blunt of the forces move in to finish them. Psi storm was also useful espeically against seige tanks and guardians.

The only problem was if they massed all these banshess, tanks, thors, etc and attacked at once, but then they still would be VERY vunerable to air attack. Battlecruisers wont have the yammoto beam or anything to defendagainst it and if they have so much ground aoe firepower they wont have resources for much else.

10. Ych

Ych New Member

BattleCruisers Plasma Torpedo that we know of can't attack buildings. But it is very effective against small, swarming units like the Marines or Zerglings.

On the other hand, the Thor's siege ability is very effective against buildings or units that are stationary. Because they take awhile for it to shoot and when they start shooting, you can just move your units out of the way to avoid it. So I believe that its siege ability is only effective against buildings.

So they are pretty much different in what they do.

11. surr

surr New Member

ghosts lock down will take care of most air i figured. also cant thor hit air?

(not including zergs right now)

12. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Terran aoe seems pretty expensive...I don't think I a player can use all of the aoe available to him. Not practically, at least.

13. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Or here is an idea, terran move in and start hammering your base with seigetanks/thors, bring in a bunch of immortals to take the blunt of the damage and then while they are foucsing firing on your immortals/base/cannons etc, rush in some zealots with CHARGE right into them from the side if possible front on may work too as long as they are focused on the immortals,etc. So by the time they focus on the zealots they will have already come in close range with charge.

14. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Ghosts lockdown ability got axed and replaced by axe.

And too answer the question this thread is about, no, you can never have enought AoE... xD

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thats why ground base defensive like canons should be buff up. so that sieging will be hard and base defense will be fun.

i dont want them(blizz) to remove this great ideas now specially thor and the bc's plasma torpedoes.

16. Ghost

Ghost New Member

yeah, if they remove the thor and the plasma torpedos in throwing a hissy fit.

17. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Nah, nothing wrong with alot of ground AoE. It can be countered easily, just use air. If your toss, just go in with Pheonixes and Warp Rays or latter on Carriers. As for the Zerg, I'm sure they'll have something to decimate Terran ground.

For Terran Reapers might be a nice counter against the big mechs of other Terran. They should be fast and agile enough to get within range of throwing mines without taking to many losses, and I don't see Siege Tanks or Thors being very good at shooting off the mines.

18. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Well siege tanks are screwed against the reapers bombs, the thor could sort of walk away from the bombs but I dont think it will be fast enought to dodge the entire blast.

19. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I originally thought that they would stick, it'd be awsome but how would they get them off? Maybe attacking their own unit for a sec?

20. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Oh I thought they did stick, I guess I need to do more research. Well Siege Tanks would still be screwed.

Thors are still vunerable to Warp Rays and Yamato BC's. They'd probably also get owned by Carriers and god only knows what the Zerg will have to throw at them.