Terran Vehicle Pilots escaping death?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by marinepower, Jul 14, 2007.

Terran Vehicle Pilots escaping death?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by marinepower, Jul 14, 2007.

1. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    There should be research costing 200 minerals and gas from the machine shop that allows terran factory unit pilots to escape the unit automatically when the unit is destroyed with around 10-60% Health remaining. If you bring 10 tanks into the enemy base and the attack fails, then you will then have at least 5-6 marines or firebats that might make it back to your base alive, allowing you to keep 10-20% of the units price.

There is a chance that this move will fail, so you will get nothing or just an unarmed civilian, and it almost never works with vultures, as they only cost 75 minerals. This might lead to some interesting strategies, but we will never know until SC2 comes out, and it is much more cost effective to just bring the factory unit back to base and repair it.

Some moves will reduce chance of escape to 0%, such as broodling and sci storm, and anything the unit was effected with will carry on with the pilot (ensnare, plague, parasite etc.)

2. Alukard

Alukard New Member

Re: Terran Factory Unit Pilots escaping death?

that sound somewhat like C&C

3. Dxun

Dxun New Member

I would say no for factory units...if your in a tank and the tank explodes then GG.. but say you were in an airship (wraith, dropship, Sci Vessle or BC) you might have a say a 25% chance to eject.

4. darktemplar56

darktemplar56 New Member

That makes sense. Then once it was ejected it would act as a civilian or something, and then if you brought it back to a starport it would begin building a wraith for maybe 50%ish of the normal cost.

This ability would make ambushes a lot more fun for enemies, because they could wipe out your air units and then have a bunch of ground forces waiting for the pilots, thus getting nearly twice the kills (or would pilots not count for kills, etc.?).

5. DontHate

DontHate New Member

This idea wouldn't work. what would be the use for a tank driver? Not like he could operate a marine or reaper's job.

6. L89

L89 New Member

But for dropships it can work. Say a 50% chance for each marine to survive and a 25% chance for a tank to survive (since they are bigger and need more time to drop in reality). However, just like new ability for specialized units such as ghosts to 'smart fire', people may think more and more that terran is for n00bs to play...Not that I'm complaining since I sucked so much at the original sc :)

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

no, that would take out the risk factor in starcraft.

8. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I still think having a drop pod upgrade for the dropship would be a good idea. That way if it gets destroyed the units inside are automatically ejected and/or take a little damage. Or maybe it could be used to unload all units really fast so it can quickly escape.

Having the pilots for vehicles/aircraft does feel a bit too much like Generals or Act of War to me. But if they do that I think the units should be like a ghost but without the special powers.

9. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

physics please. tanks only explode if they are blown up by a missile. bullets do not explode tanks, they can render them useless.

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Hating the idea.

11. darktemplar56

darktemplar56 New Member

Bullets can blow up tanks. It's just not very easy. They can shoot fuel canisters.

Good point. Now I say scrap the idea of pilot ejection and just give dropships a one-use escape pod ability. But then we get into the issue of how a siege tank can't possibly fit into an escape pod. So maybe it would only work for infantry-sized units, unless we get into parachuting tanks, but I don't like that idea.

And it wouldn't really have to be for just dropships. It could work for shuttles and overlords too (overlords could just rip off some kind of bodypart).

12. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Glad you like my idea but I think it should be Terran only. The protoss will get to warp units to any place with pylon power and the Zerg get those nydus worms. And they can still make pods or attachable thrusters for at least the smaller vehicles.

13. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax

Yes, that might work well for terran air units, except marines or firebats might be too much for a unit that is supposed to be dead. Maybe they should invent a new unit called something like "pilot", and it can have one of those reaver pistols and do half it's damage. It might also have 10-100% of its 20-30 health left when he crashes.

Might make the fight scenes a bit more interesting, especially if you can kill the pilot while he does his escape animation. :thumbup:

14. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

You guys have to ask yourselves this question; What would Jesus do? If he was a tank commander or driver, what would he do? No! He would not get out of the tank and run for cover, He would sacrifice himself to forgive all your sins. So no, If Jesus dies for us, then all tank drivers must ESSPLODER!

I actually thought this would be a neat idea, however it would be unfair for the player who worked so hard to destroy Siege Tanks and Goliaths and lost a good amount of his troops defending. I would not want to have 20 HP specialized gunner units breathing down my neck after a long day's work of kicking ESSPLODER tanks' rear-ends.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

maybe only on wraiths. a civilian(pilot) will be dropped off or ejected and if you bring him to any barrack then he will automatically becomes a marine.

16. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax

Well, i highly doubt any of these units that manage to escape will do anything, since they're as useless as broodling( the unit, not the attack). Consider it this way, if 10 tanks die, maybe 3 will escape, but if the enemy actually managed to destroy that many tanks then their survival rate is close to none. Still, if they DO escape, their hp will be around 2-25/40, which is horrible, and will do at most 7 damage when level 3/3.

That is a good idea to bring the pilot back to a barracks so it's suited up for a marine.

17. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Or spark a shell. Or ignite the stray powder and start a fire. Or chip the tube, making a shell explode early.

18. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i always like the idea of civilians transforming into marines and driving a goliath in starcraft original campaigns.

19. L89

L89 New Member

Talking about civilians. I do hate their look in sc! Look so alienish to me and being taller than a marine is like wth?!

20. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    Well, this is gonna be SC2, so civilans will have 10 years of graphics to back them up. I'm sure blizzard will remake them to be more realistic. They might even make some that aren't scientists.