Terran units with 2 modes of attack.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ych, Jun 17, 2007.

Terran units with 2 modes of attack.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ych, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ych

Ych New Member

I made a post about this on the battlenet forums.

It seems like Blizzard is really making the Terrans be able to adapt to situations better than ever in SC2. Those were also their primary strengths in SC1. Versatility.

In SC2, from what we have learned about the Terran, their units role of Versatility is increased further. From the units that we know of, Marines, Reapers, and Tanks, all of them have 2 modes of attack. (I'm assuming Reapers and Marines will).

We all know that Siege tanks have the tank mode and Siege mode, so I won't be going into that.

Marines, which was confirmed by Blizzard, will be carrying the shields as an defensive upgrade. If they do that, I think that we can activate the shield on and off depending on situation. Like when you activate the shield ability, they would form a wall, or whatever and slow their movement speed. So you have to adapt to the situation, and use the 2 modes according to the situation you are in.

Reapers, we learned that it carried dual pistol from the very beginning. But recently from the new video, we learned that it could also shoot flamethrowers like firebats. So that also means, they will probably be able to switch back and forth between the dual pistol and flamethrowers attack depending on the situation.

If I am correct about this issue, then maybe Blizzard is planning to make a lot of the Terran units have this 2 mode attack thingy to increase the versatility of Terran units. This also really further distingushes themsevles from the other races. I also really like this idea from Blizzard if they are actually implementing it, and if I'm not wrong about it.

Note: All of those things that I wrote were pure speculations from what we have seen in the video. It is by no means true. But if what I speculated were infact true, then the SC2 Terrans are going to be very interesting.

2. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Popular rumour has it that Siege Tanks will no longer be able to go into siege mode, instead they will be able to take pot-shots at flying units. This has not been confirmed by unofficial sources, but has been verified by thousands of unreliable sources on the internet.

3. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

well, in the demo, they are in siege mode... does this mean no more fire bats? "need a light?"

4. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

I am hoping the siege tank will be able to moon-light as a long range instant transport system. Think of it, your Marines and reaper climb into the tank hole of the Siege Tank, adn the siege tank fires them out, like a cannon ball, across the map. The Marines would yell exclamations like "WhoopEE!!" and the Terran War Hookers would simply shriek; "AAAAAAAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

:powerup:

5. paragon

paragon Guest

I think that if groups of terran marines could make a wall with their shield (like the romans) it would be awesome. Especially against melee and especially in choke points.

6. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

I think the shields would be much more useful as surfboards, allowing marines to triple their speed as long as they travel in straight lines. :powerup:

7. Oiyzas

Oiyzas New Member

Or as throwing weapons. CAPTAIN AMERICA FTW!
    Or as throwing weapons. CAPTAIN AMERICA FTW!

8. wuffle

wuffle Member

Tanks would be pretty gay without seige mode IMO. That's why you get them. I guess they could have another ability, but yea, they wouldn't really be SEIGE tanks.

9. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    This is my opinion with why the Terran shield could work. If it does form a shield wall, it could increase in the obvious strength that terrans have...at the choke points. I'm telling you...Terran version of 300 is the obvious thing to do :D

10. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

Since marines can become cannon-fodder quickly, I welcome the idea of a shield. I would have liked a bayonet upgrade that would allow them to do lots of damage melee-style to lings, zealots, etc. Its all up in the air until that Terran section comes online at the site.

11. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

Like: Shoot Zealots while they are closing in, and melee when they are close at you?

12. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

precisely. If they can make chainsaw bayonets in Gears they can make one in SC2.

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

that wouldn't be fair unless they upped the unit cost of marines since zealots are more expensive and the marines can shoot zealots the whole time they are running towards them...*EDIT* not to mention zerglings...marines have early range advantage
    this would totally screw with the early-game rock-paper-scissors differences between the races; as it is the marines get to shoot air units so to some extent Terran players can rely on their marines for a while longer than Protoss players can rely on zealots or Zerg players on zerglings before they have to get dragoons and hydras/mutas respectively

14. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

The marine shield would seem as a counter to the new rush of the zealot. Zerglings are probably a bit faster as well. Everything comes together in order to make units even with each other when it comes to strength vs cost.

15. SuperMarioPsycho

SuperMarioPsycho New Member

im confusd, the marines can ride the shield like surf boards? LOL cool, i cant wait for this game!!!! :powerup:

16. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    No, people are just speculating and coming up with ideas.

17. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

lol no. the marines use the shield as a shield. he's just saying it'd be funny/cool

Edit: lol willy beat me too it. oh well yeah you get the point. XD

18. SuperMarioPsycho

SuperMarioPsycho New Member

so the marines aren't going to be surfers? i read that and started yelling i was thinking of marines ride shield surf boards over the zerglings and i laughed. ;D :good:

19. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    They should be able to lock shields together to increase armor by a point or two but lose the ability to move.

20. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Eh, them locking shields would require some sort of formation mode. I don't think formations is something Blizzard plans to include. I could be wrong. It just wouldn't be like the original. The PcGamer article did say that the AI of the units will be increased at least.