Terran Mongrel

Discussion in 'Terran' started by kuvasz, Jun 10, 2008.

Terran Mongrel

Discussion in 'Terran' started by kuvasz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Simply put, I don't like the concept of the jackal or its attack and animation. So when I was on my break from studying, I thought of a unit that could fill the role of cheap primary vehicle similar to the jackal and the vulture.

The concept of the mongrel came from several things. The first was that I found the word and its sound quite cool :D plus it reflects the role of the unit. The second was the missing slot if the jackal got the axe (which I hope it will). The third one was the further distinction of the races, namely, to make Terran able to cross water/space/land where you can't drop, but with a twist: do this with a ground unit.

[​IMG]
    Produced at: Factory, no prerequisite building
    Hitpoints: 80
    Mineral cost: 100
    Gas cost: 0
    Range: unupgraded marine, ground only
    Damage: 10 (+10 against light armour, +5 against medium armour, base against heavy armour)
    Speed: unupgraded vulture

It would hover using exactly the same technology as the banshee uses. It would not be able to move up or down hills, but it would be able to move over water and other non-passable terrain that doesn't have elevation.

Armament would be a pump action shotgun (with a special slot on the hovercraft to be able to reload it with one hand, which would actually be animated). Attack rate would be a little slower than a vulture's grenades. Archon attack AOE, but only to the sides, not behind the primary target. Since one hand is always needed for steering, the rider would get a powersuit to deal with the massive recoil.

I think it sounds a little retro with the shotgun but I didn't want yet another automatic bulletspraying unit.

Thoughts?

2. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

there is only 2 types of armorments. Light and armored. but other then that it sounds cool. Maybe the guys should get a gattlin gun. And it is dmg over time like the warp ray?

3. kuvasz

Hungary
    No, it's not. It's a shotgun, remember? :D It would have an attack rate slightly slower than what a vulture has.

As for the armour types, I seem to remember seeing the missile turret having a base damage of 5 (per missile) and getting bonuses +2.5 and +5, which would mean there are 3 armour types. I'm not sure though.

4. paragon

paragon Guest

Simply put, no.

Shotguns suck.

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

theres only 2 armor types. and i dont think it being a shot gun matters. how dose the mechanices of its attack work and how will this better the terrens?

6. kuvasz

Hungary
    I'm not sure what you don't understand. It fires periodically like the vulture and since it uses a shotgun, it has a minimal AOE damage. This paired with the bonus against light armoured units (most early-game units) makes it very effective early game, especially with its terrain crossing ability, which also makes it good for scouting and raiding.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. great idea. a ground unit that can cross water, lands, space, etc... its good a thing that water in starcraft can be played not just being there for visual purposes.

I like this. i may improvise this idea and make my own. ^^

8. Yamato_Cannon

Yamato_Cannon New Member

Virginia, United States
    It seems really imbalanced that a fast traveling, early-tier unit would get a splash weapon. Worker raids with vultures were already very powerful, but with splash, this unit would massacre your entire economy line in a matter of seconds. I guess it all depends on its rate of fire, which might balance out in the end, since shotguns take a long time to reload.

Hmm... Does the unit have any abilities / upgrades? A useful ability I just thought of could allow the pilot to load his shotgun with 6 bullets, and then shoot them all off at once, doing massive damage to any small units near it. This would be equivalent to 3 normal vulture shots, and would take 7*the vultures reload speed to execute. What do you think?

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

it should be givin a speed upgrade like the vulture but only at a higher tier for balance. Altho its attack method dose sound rather nice. I am also kinda wondering on its rate of fire. The vulture was kind of a quick enough attack in my eyes. I think this you would be ok with 25 gas added aswell since any unit that can travel like it dose needs balance and coast should be concidered as well.

10. LxMike

LxMike New Member

sound cool, it would be nice to have a passenger seat to load in infantry ( 1 slot garrison)

i.e: +medic = ambulance
    +ghost = scout
    +marin = bost firepower
    +marrauder = hit and run
    etc.

my point is the terran fraction should be able to switch technologies fast to couter enemies attacks. but in sc 1 to switch tech you need to build specific building and it takes cash and lot of time,

11. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

DUDE thats even better. giving it an extra seat upgrade :) that would be so bad ass.

12. paragon

paragon Guest

OOHOHOH lets give it the ability to erect a medium sized minefield in seconds so that it can set a trap for anything foolish enough to follow it after its cunning raid!!!!

13. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

no, then you'd just be reinventing the vulture....

14. kuvasz

Hungary
    Its terrain crossing ability could be an upgrade for 200/200. I don't think any other upgrades are needed, especially not a second seat :p

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

lol loser, but that would make it nice if altho i still would want this unit to have gas. Since there would be no repurcussions to this unit after the upgrade that would make it highly unfair. 100 min is really nothing at all. i think atleast 25 gas is nessary, i mean take a look at the other terrain crossing units. They have a gas coast to even them out a bit. And being that this unit is coming from the factory would make a tank kinda of OP since all the gas would be saved for the tank and thor, I'm almost 100% sure in SC2 that wouldnt be fair at all.

16. kuvasz

Hungary
    Hard nubmers like resource cost, damage, and hitpoints are all down to balancework, so I think we should leave those alone for now. This thread is more about introducing the basic concept rather than specifics.

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

alrighty, so now explain if this unit would attack air and is its dmg radius like a frontal con? or a circle aoe? And is it targeted as a ground unit? or concidered air after the upgrade??

18. LxMike

LxMike New Member

well just keep the shogun idea, making the base unit weak but give it the second seat

19. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I like the second seat idea too, It would make this unit+ a marauader kinda cheep tho. and what about putting a reaper on the back? that would a little unbalaned. Slow attack pluse fast attack. hum dosent sound right.

20. LxMike

LxMike New Member

well make both (driver + passenger) die when the bike explode