Terran is Getting Ridiculously Good

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Feb 9, 2008.

Terran is Getting Ridiculously Good

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Mine drones - from the last Q&A they seem to be amazing.

Vikings are back in the factory (great decision) and can shoot at air units even in ground mode(WOOHOO)

Medics can heal from inside of bunkers and ghosts can snipe from them as well?

Wow...I cant freaking wait for SC2 so i can tear stuff up with Terran!

2. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

Re: Terran is getting ridiculasly good

Vikings can shoot at air units even in ground mode. <- i think this is ridiculasly BAD.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

@ Viking's GtA attack: Agreed. Don't even get me started on why lol or me and itzahexgor will end up filling the thread up xD

But I am happy the Terrans are becoming how they are. In sc1 it took me a while to like Terrans but now I am very pleased with them so far, all they need is the Predator, remove the Vikings GtA attack, fix the Thor (hopefully it is built by SCVs again) and I think they'll do well.

But I wouldn't say Terran are getting ridicuously good I'd just say they are on the right track and I find it interesting that gameplay wise Protoss may no longer be the 'dominant race'.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head

Totally agree with Zergalicious here. I love how the Terran are shaping up to be. Anyways, the only reason the have a GtA attack for the Viking is because Terran don't have a dedicated AtA unit... yet. I still think the Blizzcon build was the best though, except the addition of Marauders was pretty cool.

@Zergalicious: How were the Protoss the 'dominant race' in SC1? I'd rather not say the obvious fact that all three races were balanced, but your statement can lead to lots of misinterpretations.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

I don't know how to explain it in the correct way really, but don't think on it too much. If I try to explain it will probably lead to more misinterppretations so I'll wait until someone else knows what I may be talking about to elaborate.

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head

Do you mean that they were the most technically advanced and they had the strongest units one on one? That's what it sounded like to me.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

Yea kinda, like without the ratio of which the units measured up the Protoss had the advantage 1 to 1 but of course we know that:
    1 Zealot : 2 Marines : 4 Zerglings

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

about the zealots (this guys might be as skillful as the best jedi, 5x better than a predator, the myth hero achilles versus troy, has charge which allow them to strike at ligthing speed cannot be seen by normal eyes etc, plus they have shields).

so (in real life situation)

1 zealot : 3 to 6 marines : 5 to 10 zerglings : 2 to 4 hydralisk.

yes IMO that is how powerful an average zealot is in real life in an open combat. =)

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

Ah a Zealot compared to other units gameplay wise would be:

1 Zealot : 1 Dragoon : 2 Marines : 1.5 Goliath : : 4 Zerglings : 1.5 Hydralisk

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think you underestimate the firepower of a gauss rifle :)

And 1 direct hit from a siege tank should technically kill anything in 1 shot.

Anywhoo...i think the Viking GtA is not a bad idea, it may even be a interesting idea if you think about it.

GtA is vs small units like the GtG attack and Air form is more vs capital ships, like they are currently.

So basically 1 unit 2 different attacks covers 2 different types of Air defense.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

Maybe but it will still get out manouvered.

12. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

a zealot on top of a siege tank = gg.

i hope we can see the zealots in action in sc2 cinematics. ^^

if the terran gets an ATA unit then the GTA of the viking would be redundant. bring back the predator blizzard.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They will definitly bring it back I am sure of it. How many spots are empty in the Terran army, as far as I'm concerned isn't it the Cobra?

14. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    We will just have to wait and see, I'm sure they will make it balanced between all the races so one isn't overall better than the other they all will have their strengths and weaknesses. This is the kind of balance Blizzards reputation is on.

Also, unless you have actually played the current build of the game there is no way to know.

All these comments and discussion saying "Terran is too good" etc, etc is merely opinion and conjecture. I think I'll start to worry about it until the game is actually out.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You pretty much stated the obvious there. Accurate speculations can easily be accurate, you just refer to sc1 then look at the current info on sc2 we have then boom we have a basic idea of how it works.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I find this thread comical. When everyone pretty much only knew about Protoss, everyone was saying 'omg Protoss is overpowered'. Other people kept saying stuff like 'just wait until they show us Terran and Zerg, it'll balance out' but there were constantly topics like Colossus/Immortal/Mothership is Overpowered. Now, people are saying that Terran are looking ridiculously good. Anyone else see a hint of deja vu?
    About the Viking's Ground-to-Air attack. It depends how you look at it. Terran do need more units that can attack air, so perhaps making the Viking always able to attack air isn't such a bad thing.
    On the other hand, it does drastically change how the unit is used. However, if it is always able to attack air, and only able to attack ground targets half the time, it sounds like Blizzard is turning this into an Anti-Air unit, instead of the Thor. They're adding more Anti-Air capabilities to an existing unit without taking away its Ground-to-Ground attack. Terran will still have the Ground-to-Ground support firepower from it, but they'll get a lot more Anti-Air firepower out of it.
    Just on a side note, does anyone know which weapon it fires when attacking Ground-to-Air? From a design point of view, it seems possible that it'll be able to use its torpedo launchers for attacking Ground-to-Air.

17. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Viking's GtA missiles will be trashed for sure, or balanced to get countered by another unit.

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

well its the fact that terran is getting a few new mechanics like medics healing from inside the bunker + the new nomad mines got me excited.

Im sure in the end everything will be balanced.

19. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

I agree. I really like the abilities and units they have shown for the terrans thus far too. the sensor tower is a really cool idea, way better then the scanner sweep in my opinion.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    So...... Does anyone know which weapon the Viking uses when attacking Ground-to-Air?