Terran Crucio Siege Tank Announced on Official Site

Discussion in 'Terran' started by WonderBoy, Jan 8, 2008.

Terran Crucio Siege Tank Announced on Official Site

Discussion in 'Terran' started by WonderBoy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy New Member

Terran Crucio Seige Tank

[img width=670 height=285]http://www.starcraft2.com/images/artwork/ss2.jpg[/img]​

The Crucio is the Dominion update of the immensely popular but aging Arclite siege tank. The Arclite was renowned throughout the Confederacy for its devastating firepower and stalwart emplacement/advance tactics. Originally designed to serve as a "final defense" security cannon, the siege tank adopted a two-stage configuration in its final form: a mobile assault mode and a deployed siege mode that brought its massive shock cannon to bear. The immense flexibility of an armored battle tank that could advance and then deploy itself as heavy artillery was a huge success, and the design was widely copied.

[img width=670 height=502]http://www.starcraft2.com/images/screenshots/ss62.jpg[/img]​

Although the Arclite was supremely effective in the artillery role, it suffered some shortcomings as a battle tank. It was a superb defensive unit, but in offensive operations it required substantial support to get to a forward emplacement. Enemies would often make strenuous efforts to get close to an emplaced siege tank battery so they could exploit its "deadzone." If they were successful, this tactic usually meant destruction for the Arclites because even in assault mode the machines were too undergunned and poorly armored to fight off a determined close-range assault.

The Crucio has been designed for increased survivability with an enlarged, reinforced turret and hull. The new turret layout also features an upgraded assault-mode armament package so that the Crucio can fend for itself more successfully in an open battlefield. Force deployment costs for the Crucio have increased over the older Arclite, but the increased versatility of the powerful new siege tank more than compensates for the additional expense.

Source: http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/siegetank.xml

2. Light

Light Guest

Yes! This is kickass! It certainly got stronger, I mean, one-shot marines!

3. cohnee

cohnee New Member

I thought they were getting rid of the additional set of tracks?

Hopefully this new model won't get owned in normal mode.

4. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Wow thanks for the news!!! I was there about a few hours ago and nothing , wow thanks for this dude! :D

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I call dibs on the middle tank

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I'm SO moving this to News. Great find dude.

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    LOL @ tamagotchi sounds of healing. Excellent news though. My guess is... 2 weeks. Until 1st edition stock runs out.

ps isn't crucio a spell from Harry Potter?

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Nice news, do you like the new name? And what do you think the cost will be? It sounds much more stronger then in SCBW

9. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Whats the point in the first bit? And yes I think crucio is a HP spell...how sad I reconize a HP spell :p

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Hm. I don't like how it looks in non-siege form. The gun is...XP

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!! :powerup:

The medic almost made it :p

LOL, yes, the torture spell.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yea, it looks cute in normal mode.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The icon that the pet ST will get is awesome, too bad it isn't in Siege Mode.

14. Light

Light Guest

Yeah I think it looks a bit kinda too fat in normal mode...but I cant imagine any other way it could have looked :p

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Sweet! What a great update. It is good to know that the Siege Tank is all but guaranteed to be in Starcraft II. And I am very interested to see how differently it performs/new upgrades as compared to the original Siege Tank.

16. Tiwanacu

Tiwanacu New Member

man i have to say im dissapointed.. thought blizzard would drop something huge during christmas/new year.. this was kinda... i dunno... *sigh*

17. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Tiwanacu, welcome to the forums.

Don't be discouraged - Blizzard will drop something huge in a matter of time (read... Zerg). Just be patient and let them develop the game at a pace that will make the best product possible. They aren't releasing as much lately probably because so much of what is currently in the game is subject to a lot of change.

18. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

This was a good find but truthfully I still think the siege tank needs another graphic change. In the first game the tank going into siege mode was cool and it looked like a tank. The new tank is WAY too boxy in normal mode and the gun looks gey. The concept art is awesome and looks very sweet but the 3d version looks like they didn't fallow the concept art. In siege mode, it looks kind of cool but not really. Why would the tank have four sets of tracks? How do the extra 2 side tracks turn into support arms? Why does the tank get bigger when it goes into siege mode? Why is it soo flat in siege mode but in normal mode it's a box? I don't know... I always used the siege tank as my main unit in SC1, but I really don't like how the remake looks.

PS: yes, I am grumpy and sick :p

19. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

hmm interesting name added on to it.... I like the sounds of it but not so much in to how it looks :p

20. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    Meh, I don't really like the name... Arclite sounds so much better than Crucio for a tank IMO. EDIT: Took out some wrong stuff, it isn't weak, I just saw wrong :p

As far as looks go, I be pretty happy if they took out the outer treads, it looks way too bulky...

EDIT: Also, I don't like the size of the explosion, it's far too small, the one that they had at the beggining in the Protoss and Terran videos was much bigger, I liked it