Terran air mines

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ghillie, Dec 12, 2007.

Terran air mines

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ghillie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ghillie

Ghillie New Member

Well, I have this idea. If you all can remember underwater mine and what they look like. Well they are massive spiked balls tied down with a massive chain. Well this idea is sorta like it. I was thinking to have the Nomad or perhaps even the dropship deploy these mines in the air.
    Think of it like the vulture spider mine. So the Nomad lays maybe five or six of them in the a small radius around it. It could do this three times like the vulture could. Now these mines are stationary and cannot move. They will go off if a unit hits it or if it is shot at. When the mine explodes it had an AOE explosion so aircraft must be careful not to be too close when detonating them. I was also thinking that the mines would be small and have no flashing lights so they are not easy to spot. Thus an enemy is going to have to be careful when moving air units around.
    Mines can be laid anywhere in the air and are deadly to friendly forces as well. With the mines you could create whole new strategies is dealing with air. It would force the air units to attack from different angles or detonate the mines, possibly damaging or destroying some of their units and alerting you. Well, what do you think?

2. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    welcome to the forum guy, you began here with a nice idea. I like it, but those bombs should be easy to spot. The opponent will still have a hard time dealling with well placed mines.. You could use it as a base defence, or to prevent enemy aircrafts leaving their base.. Nice blockade.

Would they be able to hit only air units?

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I think that it's workable and different enough from the Vulture's Spider Mine that it would have a new Starcraft II feeling to it. Air mines would definitely add novel strategies and defense mechanisms to the game. I also agree that they should be easy to spot, both for the player and the enemy. And definitely only an anti-air attack.

You have a really neat idea for your first post, so I'll give you a :powerup:.

4. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Elaborating on the idea.

You can have these mines either:

1. Untargetable by air units, and a slight magnetism to them that will attract them to passing air units.
    2. Dropping on ground units when they pass under them(walking over their ground based sensor), and untargetable by ground units.

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    the first is a good idea, but I was thinking about is and it shouldn't have anything in common with ground units, because you could destroy a mine field by loreing them on a single marine

6. Ghillie

Ghillie New Member

Right, I was thinking that it should be only anti air.

7. -LT-

-LT- New Member

That's an excellent idea! :powerup: I think they could be able to stick to the enemy ship and you can activate them when it gets near other ships for maximum damage (it would have aoe).

8. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

I like the idea, it would deffinatly help out when dealing with swarms of carriers XP

9. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

No way that the mines should be un-targetable by the units they are slated to destroy. That would make them incredibly overpowered, as a player could create an impassable wall. I do like the idea for a magnetic attraction though. Spider Mines were countered by having a detector around - once you saw them not a single mine would hit your units. Since these air mines would be visible, they could be much more attractive towards enemy (and even friendly) air units. But the enemy player needs to have a chance of destroying them using smart targeting or overwhelming fire, just like with the Spider Mines. And definitely an air-only attack - something new and exciting that hasn't really been done before.

10. Ghillie

Ghillie New Member

Well no one said the mines cannot be destroyed. I picture them as being very fragile and destroy easily. However the mines would have to be targeted manually because realistically mines can be just as dangerous to you as to the enemy. What I'm trying to get at is that the mines should be of neutral alignment.

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I was mainly replying to DKutrovsky who said that the mines should be un-targetable. Having to manually target them doesn't fall into that category, so I have no problem with your neutral alignment idea, Ghillie.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am 99% sure that the concept of air mines is one of Nates ideas, actually. He have posted this idea before.

13. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

its impossible to come up with and idea here - nate took them all :p

i dont remember reading it actually
    nice idea!
    i think its kinda funny that you have 4 posts and 2 power levels ;D
    welcome aboard (the untrademarked illegal kind meant to rub in LTs face)
    (lol jk)

14. Ghillie

Ghillie New Member

Actually, this could be, partly a solution to the missing terran AtA unit. Especially against light units such as mutas. If implemented properly this could be a great solution.

15. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

I like the idea, but I would be fine with just a spider mine in space kind of deal. No need to fix what isn't broken.

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I like the idea and possibilities.

Deployed by the Dropship was it?
    Mines have a magnetic field meaning they follow then stick to enemy units.
    The idea of detonating them at will would turn them into Parasite abilty with explosion.
    Neutral alignment, just right. This allows the mine or the unit to be targets and since the mine is harder and smaller while targeting it means you have to work to get the big damage.

Make a balanced poll.

@shadowdragon

A Spider Mine in the air would be easily avoided or destroyed.

But I wouldn't mind a ground version which sticks to units also.

17. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Not necessarily. Air units move much quicker then ground units, so they would be in range much faster and have less time to react. Of course, air mines would need to be slightly faster and have a bigger target acquirement range to compensate for the vast amount of open space, but the basic idea should be fairly sound.

Then again, to leave it at that may prove a bit boorish, seeing as how everything else is getting improved…