Terran 3 sup depot block on LT.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BloodHawk, Jul 13, 2010.

Terran 3 sup depot block on LT.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BloodHawk, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I've only seen this done on lost temple... but using 3 depots to seal a main base choke?

WTF?

I lost one game to being too stupid to see the marine hikding a watch tower. Lost another because he out macroed me.

In the first game I completely ignored the watch towers because I thought "what noob would seal off this way?". Kept pushing with lots and stalkers, got owned by ghost emp and marines.

Anyone else run into this sup depot only seal and understand it?

I don't.

2. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    What are you trying to say, exactly?

It is common to use supply depots alone, or with other buildings, to block off a base. They can be lowered and raised so they serve as a gate so he goes in, keeping you out. Easy concept.

3. Alsojames

Alsojames New Member

It actually sounds quite smart. Lesson learned: do not underestimate supply depots.

4. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    I think what he is saying is why use three, relatively weak supply depots? Especially when you can throw in a barracks and make your wall a lot stronger since it has more HP.

I guess the reason one would do that is so that you can't scout what add-on you are putting on your barracks. :l

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i get what ur trying to say, u cant scout the base or have any safe idea of whats going on inside the base.

it also seems like you dont scout the rest of the map. yes yes. it seems you need to rush to an observer

6. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Yes, I'm asking why use 3 depots when a rax has more hp and a bigger foot print.
    Not to mention you'll get the wall off faster using the rax as no one in their right mind is building 3 depots first.

I guess hiding the addon is a fair reason. Kinda seems everyone goes tech lab first though.

(I'm used to seeing depot/rax/depot as a wall off to be clear)

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Sometimes I wall off with three depots and just throw marines/a bunker behind them to defend.

That way my barracks isn't visible so maybe there's some pressure off me and more on them because they don't know what addon I have. So they don't know what I'm going to do early.

8. RreaperRandom

RreaperRandom New Member

Bellevue,Washington
    A raxs big, and thats the problem. A big unit,like a thor, won't be able to fit through unless you lift it up. You just need to lower your depots to move Massives through.Plus, they have to be quick scouting, or they don't know what to expect.

9. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure Thors fit through supply depots (they might not have before, but I'm pretty sure their size was reduced). I never remember having to lift up my rax to get a Thor through, and the rax was in the middle of my wall so it had to fit through one lowered supply depot.

Also, getting a rax and two supply depots would be quicker anyway (or at least without putting you economically behind anyway). Because you need a rax and two supply depots before you need three whole supply depots.

10. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Is it worth hiding your addon though?

11. Taerix

Taerix New Member

I don't usually wall off at all against Protoss, unless there are signs of dark templar. Then I do it with a bunker and two depots. I don't really see a problem with it though, unless he's putting 3 depots down really fast and wasting a lot of minerals he could be using elsewhere.

Against Zerg I think it's a terrible idea, but as long as you have a marauder, stalkers won't be able to out range you and kill the depots.

I personally wouldn't do it, but it might be fun to have there available to prevent some enemy units from sneaking into your main.

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I found if you get the positioning right, you can block off ramps with two supply depots and a barracks.

But with a surprise.

It's pretty easy to position your barracks to get an addon as well. The only thing I can see as a bad thing is that it leaves like... one square that is clear of the ramp and actually on the upper level.

13. ArAkNA

ArAkNA New Member

it's worth hiding everything

14. JDarque

JDarque New Member

really worth it if you are reaper rushing....