System Requirements

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by topk, Jun 21, 2008.

System Requirements

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by topk, Jun 21, 2008.

1. topk

topk Guest

I'm looking into buying a new computer, maybe for this game alone :p. Anyway I didn't know if the system requirements for SC2 have been announced or if someone could tell me if the following computer will be able to run SC2 well. Please any help would be awesome :)

I'm looking into a Alienware Area-51 7500 Desktop the specs are in the link below

http://www.alienware.com/products/a...SysCode=PC-AREA51-7500-R5&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Again Any Help at all would be awesome!

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
  3. l KingMatt l

l KingMatt l New Member

What would you say is meant by "minimum"? I'm getting a 1.83 GHz Intel Dual processor...Do you guys think that will lag or have other problems. I mean I want to be able to play smoothly...not have to worry about laggy play. Do you think the processor is good enough? Also, I'm getting GeForce 8600 graphics so I should hopefully be good there?

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    You will be able to achieve smooth gameplay on a wide range (and age) of systems, it's just a matter of how willing you are to sacrifice graphics. That system will definitely be able to run SC2 smoothly, with problems starting to appear at high graphics settings and large armies, in my opinion. But you should consult the links to get an idea about stuff yourself.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Its too early to be buying a computer for SC2 anyways.

Also this is the wrong forum

6. TyReaper

TyReaper New Member

I can't see the game requiring anything like shooters or WoW for that matter. If you'll be playing online, RAM is the most important thing to have, followed by equal parts processor and Video Card. Try to avoid Vista if possible as it eats RAM like *omnomnomnomnom* but it might be too late at this point.

Happy shopping :)

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Welcome, and yes, it will run it, and smoothly too :)
    ANd if you are buying a computer now only because of SC2, then wait!

Edit:
    Vista doesnt eats RAM, it depends of wich type you have. I have 2GB 10xx MHZ(x = insert number), and Vista uses only 500 MB, and thats 1/4...

8. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    "only 500 MB" ?
    You know, many computer use that much for system (like XP) and everything else >.>

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    You know that a system always takes up a % of you memory? It does that automaticly, Meee.....
    And by many i know it takes up 45%

10. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    No, I don't, thanks for clearing that up

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    At least thats what I know, but Im not a Computer Expert, and Vista is not the best system for many computers, but if you have a very good computer, why not buy such a cool looking system? I can run every game on highest system req (perhaps not a few like AoC), even thought i have vista.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Let me give you a lowdown on processor mechanics ad how the OS uses that.

The memory is separated into what is known and high and low memory. On systems where the address bus (that tells where to look for data) uses all digits this space is contiguous. In others (current x64 systems for example) some of the digits are not used because there is no need (why have the ability to access several exabytes when no PC has more than a few gigs?) and are thus set to either all zeroes of all F's.

The addresses that end in all F's are high memory which is set aside for your OS and other system functions like BIOS and drivers. Every OS made fills this space with stuff for system functions leaving the other half of memory for general use.

Regardless of OS half of the memory is reserved for system use
    ----
    Anyway the PC looks like it should be fine to run SC2. The requirements of Blizzard games aren't all that steep.

You can always add more memory later if needed. Manufacturers usually don't max the baords