Supply Depot

Discussion in 'Terran' started by sagrado_corazon, Jul 20, 2007.

Supply Depot

Discussion in 'Terran' started by sagrado_corazon, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sagrado_corazon

sagrado_corazon New Member

Well, we all know how the supply depots can now submerge underground for tactical purposes. But I was just wondering, what would happen if an enemy unit would be walking or standing right over the submerged supply depot and you decided to put the supply depot back up? would it go flying and die? would the unit on top simply be on higher ground??? would the supply depot be incapable to go up again?

any thoughts?

Bonus 100 minerals for a thought-provoking post.

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I would guess that either:
    A) The supply depot would not be able to go up.
    B) The unit on top would simply 'slide' off to the side.

Although the higher ground thing would be pretty tight.

3. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

I dont know about this idea for supple depots...it sounds like they want to encourage turtling....

4. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

isn't that a good thing?
    starcraft has yet to have an effective winning strat based on turtling :p

5. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

To overpowered.. If someone attacked whit a bounch of zergling, you could just get them stuck on higher ground. And then get few marines and just shoot them.

6. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

Or Zealots ofc.

7. sagrado_corazon

sagrado_corazon New Member

yeah, I highly doubt that the enemy units would be stuck on higher ground. I guess that the idea of simply sliding to the side sounds more likely to happen.

8. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Except the Zerglings can then tear away at the Supply Depot itself, and probably kill all of the Marines as the building collapses. Against ranged units it would be less effective, perhaps making its role as a secondary Bunker acceptable.

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Seems obvious (or very likely) to me that it just wont be able to surface untill the unit(s) move.

10. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    It launches the unit(s) up into the air and they don't come down for 30 seconds and die instantly upon landing.

11. headstock

headstock New Member

I reckon its great, so many times ive gotten in a tight situation at a choke. Id have the supply depot n'barracks preventing anyone from getting through, using the barracks as a gate. But then somthin goes wrong, you need to get dudes out the front so ya lift your barracks, but then it cant build!
    So yeah, now you'll be able to submerge the depots and still crank out units.

12. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I don't think they would do that, but Blizzard would probably make sure to classify it as a different type of higher ground than a cliff, something that 'lings and 'lots could jump down from...

holy crap, just think about how cool that would look if the zerglings could just climb all over the supply depot and make it impossible to see by covering it, like those big swarms of ants that just cover everything in their path! obviously imba but it would be cool to watch. Not to mention zealots...imagine a bunch of marines hiding behind a supply depot and the zealots climbing the supply depots under fire, getting to the top, then jumping down and slicing the marines in half as they fall to the ground and land on one knee...I get carried away with these scenarios some time, I should be in the cinematic development team for Blizzard

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes i think you should. and tell them to include all new units in the cinematics. i wan to see the thor and colossus etc in a movie version ^^

i think lings running or climbing over depots and zealots jumping from a depot cannot be done in starcraft 2 maybe in starcraft 3. this kind of mechanics are reserve for the future games. but i wish they put some extra effort and do it now. hahah.

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I was just looking at this picture:

[img width=600 height=450]http://www.starcraft2forum.org/gallery/4_20_07_07_2_33_53.jpg[/img]

and got to thinking...are supply depots that are underground susceptible to attack? I can't tell if those zerglings are attacking it, and it doesn't look like it is on fire like everything else. Or maybe it is just not susceptible/as susceptible to nukes, like real life bunkers that people made in their backyards in the '50s. I always found it annoying that I could lift off so many of my buildings - except for the supply depots - when I got rushed. Maybe this is the alternative. It would be a nice thing to be able to sink all of your supply depots just as you see the nuke dot on your base. However, I think they could only be immune if not in the immediate vicinity of the blast (a nuke on top of it would clearly smoke it to dust).

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

you're right, but maybe the supply depos are out of range? that one nuke can't hit those other burning buildings. keeping them invincible would be way too... cheap.

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well maybe they would be invincible to ground units, but not air units, like buildings that have lifted off are safe from melee forces? or maybe make them immune to melee but not to ranged units. just a thought

17. Dxun

Dxun New Member

The little bit of info we know from the german mag i think it was... is that submerged depots dont take AoE dmg so unless the nuke can cause direct dmg (idk i dont play terran) then your depots are safe from the nukes.

And in the screen shot why would zerglings attack a supply depot if theres plenty of stuff shooting at them?

18. capthavic

capthavic New Member

yeah that sounds about right. They definitly won't be invincible cause that wouldn't be fair.

If you look at the un-submerged supply depots to the NE of the blast you can see they aren't on fire so maybe the nuke radius is much smaller.

19. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think in this screenshot the only part of the Nuke that has gone off is the impact animation. As if you remember in SC1 the Nuke took a few seconds to do actual damage to the buildings. My reference for this is that you can see if you looks in the New Nuke Ground Zero Blast the shadowed figure of a Zergling. Is it just me or would a Zergling be OP if it could survive a Nuke... anyway. I think the New Nukes effect has not effectively gone off yet. So we can't really see if the New Nuke has any effect in this screenshot. Now if we had a Post New Nuke screenshot... well things would be different.

http://www.battle.net/scc/terran/tspecial.shtml In this link is what the Nuke in SC1 does. If it is coming back with the same damage then I would suspect a Supply Depot would be destroyed regardless if its underground or not. Or the damage it takes underground is severely reduced , noting, that it is most likely titanium that shields it while underground.So I believe we won't know until we see both the New Nuke and Supply Depot in action imo. ;D

20. I dont see why it would be invincible underground; zerg can burrow underground and they can still be damaged. Also, I think the supply value will be shut off when they submerge, otherwise there would be no incentive to keep them above ground.