Suggestion to replace "recall" if no unit gets it.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Sep 6, 2007.

Suggestion to replace "recall" if no unit gets it.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Sep 6, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    At this point the Arbiter is gone along with one of its powerful abilities: recall.
    This loss of mobility is only partially made up for by warp in because that ability only applies to NEW infantry units and only in the psi grid. Of course the psi grid requirement is made up for by the phase prism's ability to generate it.

The missing part of mobility is the inability to quickly move non advanced units and all units already built. As such I have formulated a few suggestions for a recall replacement.

My idea was for this to be a building based ability lets call it a warp sphere. You build a warp sphere in your base and it has an area of effect. any units can be warped form this area of influence to anywhere in the psi grid or from anywhere in the psi grid into its area for influence.

The way it will work is in order to use this ability you double right-click on any place within the psi grid. The units will then move towards the nearest warp sphere where they will be transported to that location with the exception being if the area clicked in is covered by a warp sphere the units will immediately go there. The units will upon warping begin to dematerialize, their hit points going down and them becoming more susceptible to damage then rematerialized at the destination slowly becoming less susceptible just like how warp in works. They will immediately die if power is lost at either origin or destination or the warp sphere is destroyed requiring you to protect the units pylons and warp spheres. The warp speed will be based upon base hit points taking a second per 10 hit points (subject to adjustment if needed) and the hit points lost/gained per second will be based on a percentage so a unit at half health will lose HP at half the rate but still require the same time to warp on as a unit at full health.

To prevent you from warping an entire army using the psi grid units will cost energy based on HP with 10 HP costing 1 Mp (also subject to adjustment). The fee will be shared between warp all warp spheres in the origin and destination. This means if you are waiting fro an area shared by 3 spheres to an area shared by 2 each will take one fifth of the burden. Thiss will allow for easy movement between bases but prevent you from warping in a whole army on top of an enemy of retreating with your whole army when things go south.

Your thoughts?

2. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

The problem is that Recall was supposed to be used for retreating. Protoss aren´t supposed to be overly mobile, and you are right Recall might have hurt them more than Warp in helped.

Your idea would work like warp in just without fee, cooldown and Unit restrictions. The oneway transportations seem to be part of a new battlefield dynamic, kinda the opposite of Townportal: If you leave your Army is just a scroll away. In SC 2 you have to pray that your opponent doesn´t notice... or keep him busy.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It isn't without fee I stated it would cost 1MP pre 10 HP of the unit being moved so you might be able to move one or two carriers before the energy reserves are empty.

One option could be to have these be one way where you can only warp to or from the warp sphere, that might help.

4. b0urne

b0urne New Member

warp gates are fine. i won't miss recall that much. actually, the only time i used recall, was get back a dark archon and either an SCV or a drone after MCing them. i'd then build bases for zerg and terran but i had WAY too much time on my hands then.