[suggestion] Overlord + Dark Swarm

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kuvasz, Dec 3, 2007.

[suggestion] Overlord + Dark Swarm

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kuvasz, Dec 3, 2007.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    After reading all the "overlord ability" and "zerg ambush unit" threads I came up with an idea that would cover both topics and create an interesting way of playing Zerg.

As far as I can tell, Nydus worms do the transportation for the Zerg so I suggest to remove the ventral sacs upgrade for the Overlords and replace it with a new ability, Swarm clot. This upgrade would be available in the Hive and would cost 200 minerals and 200 gas. This upgrade would grant every Overlord 1 clot of Dark Swarm (final number, just like spider mines for Vultures). This swarm of bugs would live on the Overlord's legs and antennae which would be visible on the unit. When cast, these bugs would fill the space between the Overlord and the ground and would block all projectiles just like in SC1. Depending on balance, this cloud of bugs could not only block GTG attacks against Zerg units but also GTA, making the Overlord harder to kill because ground units would have to move out of the cloud to attack it effectively.

Overlords would get a new meaning. They would serve supply and have low hitpoints but they would be detectors and could cast Dark Swarm. They would also look cool watching over and supporting an attacking wave of Zerg and would give the impression that they are really controlling all those units.

Might be a bit OP which could be aided by reducing hp, decreasing movement speed or sight range.

Another version would be to replace the speed upgrade with Swarm clot (and slightly increase the base speed) and keep ventral sacs - that would create the possibility of devastating ambushes if Overlords with clots were used as transports :)

Tell me what you think :)

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    At first I thought the swarm thing would create units similar to Broodlings, but its basically a darkswarm with more protection right?

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

that's pretty good... but maybe a bit overpowering. A unit that detects and has ds for only 100 mins and NO food cost.

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I think that your idea has merit. It would definitely be cool to see a finite Dark Swarm type cast that Overlords could be upgraded to have and it would give spamming Overlords an entire new meaning. I do think though to avoid being OP it would need to cost food (at least while it is on the Overlord/duration of effect) - only because Overlords are the only unit in the game that can be produced without limit.

However, I believe that in no way should Overlords lose the Ventral Sacs ability (transport). Each race needs to have its basic unit transport. Even the Protoss who now have Warp-In still have a need for the normal form of transport in the Phase Prism. I am sure that while the Nydus Worm will offer cool new strategic and quick transport, the Overlord will still need to retain its original transporting capabilities.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Good point. That could be countered by making it take 2 or 3 supplies and provide 10 or 11. But remember: I'm suggesting an Overlord that moves just a tad faster than an unupgraded one in SC1. Also note that you couldn't target where to cast DS, it's limited to the Overlord's position... like siege mode for the tank, you press the button and it instantly casts DS around itself. So it would actually be quite hard to cast it in a good place because they're slow and vulnerable.

6. needler

needler New Member

What do you mean with food? Control?

7. hydralisk

hydralisk New Member

batavia new york
    by making the over lords cast a dark swarm i like it would take the defilers purpose of life away

8. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    kuvasz if you would give the overlord a food cost, you could get stuck at the biginning of the game.
    For example you mutate 7 drones, and you have 3 supplies left. But then you don't pay attention and mutate an other drone.. You have 2 supplies left but the overlord in this case costs 3 food. So you are forced to kill/or build in one of your drones
    At the end of the game when a zerg player seems to loose and the enemy manages to destroy overlords, your units food costs will be above your supply, so once again you couldn't do anything, instead of killing your units, to make place for an other overlord.

9. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Why get rid of ventral sacs? They are clasic, same reason why we didn't cut the marine or zergling. Instead move the dark swarm to another flying unit or something. And instead, make the cloud bigger, and instead of making the cloud work the same way as blind, and let the unit only see one matrix around itself, and don't let any sight through. The swarm would still work for the zergling or what not since they are just bugs flying in the way of your marines. The marines would not see the zerglings come until it is too late.
    l---------------------------------------l
    l  Z       Z                         SMS           lSSSSMSSSSSSS
    l Z          Z             SSS    SMS            lSSSSSMSSSSSSSS
    l  Z     Z                 SMS    SSS  SSS     lMSSSSSSSSSSS
    l        Z           Z      SSSSSS      SMS         lSSSMSSSSSSS
    l Z            Z                  SMSSSSSS       lSSMSSSSSSS
    l        Z          Z             SSSMS             lSSSSMSSSSSSS
    l---------------------------------------lSSSSSSSSSSSS
                                                           SSSSSSSSSS
                                                               SSSSSSS
    Key:
    S= Sight
    M= Marine
    Z= Zergling
    -------
    l        l

l        l
    =Dark swarm
    -------

10. drealecs

drealecs Guest

I think it will be good to raise the cost to 120 or even 150 then.

11. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I think the Overlord is fine as it is. It's a transport/detector unit that has no supply cost. The alternative would be making Dark Swarm mitigate GtA/AtA attacks as well, though it might make it hard to see for both the caster and the victim :p

12. Laz

Laz New Member

ya the oveis dont need anything new added to them. they were the only food source that had another real use to beggin with (detection). now that supply depots have something to, it would be unfair to give zerg another one. plus all ovies are for is helping control the brood. they have no need for an offensive ability. i wouldnt even call the sack an offensive one.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    When they gave Protoss warp in and Terrans drop pods they did not remove the transports so wht should it happen to the Zerg?

Also I don't thing the overlord would work as a caster since theres so damn many of them

14. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yeah...just give Dark Swarm to another unit...
    i like the idea tho....but uh..meh! =]

15. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Maybe I'm not understanding your post, but it sounds like your wondering what Zerg get. We're covered with the Nydus Worm :)

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Let me expand on that.

In SC1 the Protoss had the shuttle the Terrans got the dropship and the Zerg upgraded the Overlord with ventral sacs as their ways of transporting.

Protoss now have warp in and Terrans get the drop pod, both alternate methods of transport. They still have regular transports: Terrans still have dropships and the Shuttle was replaced by the Prism.

This leads to my question. If adding a new means of transport does not remove the old means of transport for Terran and Protoss why would you expect adding a new form of transport to the zerg would remove their original method of transport?

Remember we still don't know what the nydus worm does anyway so this whole getting rid of ventral sacs is not a good thing to be thinking about anyway since we don't know what is going on.

So far all we have seen from it is it bursting from the ground and spitting out zerglings. We have seen if it has another side or if any other units can use it.

17. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Alright, now i see what you're getting at, and i agree. Keep the Overlord's transport ability.

I hope it's not just Zerglings that can use the Nydus Worm. I bet Blizzard is just doing this to watch us all go crazy with suspense :upset: