Strange Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Kraetos, Jul 27, 2010.

Strange Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Kraetos, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Kraetos

Kraetos New Member

Texas
    I recently bought a new computer desktop. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 650 3.2 GHz 4M LGA1156 Processor
    4x2GB DDR3 PC8500 1066 - 8gigs ram
    MSI P55-CD53 ATX Motherboard
    Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA Hard Drive
    Single RAD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Video Card
    22X DVDRW SATA Drive Black
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
    500Watt PSU
    X203H Acer Monitor 20" Widescreen

Problem:
    Computer glitches up every 3 to 5 seconds for about 1 to 2 seconds. Constantly.
    Only time it doesn't glitch is if there is a video, game, or dvd running in the system. Then it works perfectly. But if I close that, then it goes back to glitching.

I've used every memory stick one by one, still the same problem with all of them, so it's not memory. I took graphics card out, plugged it back in, checked to make sure everything was secure. Hardrive, PSU cables, etc.

I attempted to do a factory restore on Windows, however when I was in the factory restore options, I would move my mouse and I could see that it was still getting glitched up, so that can't mean it's a software problem right?

Alot of people asked if it was the mouse/keyboard, because if nothings running the only way to tell if it is glitchy is if I type or move cursor, but no I tryed multiple keyboard/mice.

Technical Support didn't have a clue, they offered to replace the video card, but if I can run videos and games, and it doesn't glitch, then video card shouldn't be problem right?

The only way I've been able to mess around in control panel and device manager since getting the new computer is to start a Youtube video, pause it, and then it works fine and I can do whatever I want with Windows7 interface, but heaven forbid I should close that internet explorer window and it will immediately start to get glitchy again, very confusing.

If I run a program that requires the computer to play flash, video, or something like that the computer runs fine as long as that program is in the background. But if I don't run any program, or I run a program that does not require flash or video or something like that to run, then the computer does the glitchy witchy hehe.

Can't be malware, virus, spyware, brand new computer with fresh windows install.

I've been trying to find people on internet that have even remotely heard of something like this or have had similar problems?

2. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    Try running your computer with no optical drives connected.

Try reinstalling your video codecs, or uninstall them, or install a different set. (eg, an older version of the k-lite video codec pack http://oldversion.com)

If that does not work, it could be a hardware acceleration issue. Or it could be a physical fault with your graphics card, such as a video memory error.

3. Archangelclk

Archangelclk New Member

damn i feel for you, thats so frustrating, i had a similar issue with an old old pentium 2, it would beep and go into slow mode like what you are referring to, however it was an overheating issue.

4. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Yes, it can if you didn't bother to install a virus scanner. Record time for me having a computer infected after plugging into the internet: 45 seconds (that was in dialup!). Since that time, I make sure before reinstalling to have whatever virus scanner I am going to use on a flash drive with a mass definitions update file. I also never turn off Windows Firewall until I have a suitable replacement in place.

Do you have a virus scanner installed? If not i recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Its hardly intrusive and best part, its FREE. (no, I do not recommend AVG. Had too many false positives and misses with it).

Then again, you said you had this issue in your factory restore software....

I'd recommend giving the Catylist 10.7a beta drivers a shot. This is clearly some kind of vidoe issue. I mean, your even having this issues wwth Aero. What I would do is this... try disabling Aero and see if you have any corruption issues in the old GDI interface.

Also, you might want to try updating your BIOS. There have been many updates to your BIOS since the boards release. While none of them seem to address any video card issues, it might not hurt to flash the bios and reset your bios settings to default.

You may have to bite the bullet and return the computer for a diagnostic. It could be a bad videocard, it could be a bad motherboard.. could be quiet a few things. Wish I could be more help.

5. Archangelclk

Archangelclk New Member

come to think of it I had an issue with messed up internet browsers and system settings be caused by some sort of viral spamware, it had infected some files so each time i formatted and did a fresh install within 30 min it had corrupted everything all over again. so you might want to do what TheXev said.