Stim Packs

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BoH, Jul 28, 2010.

Stim Packs

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BoH, Jul 28, 2010.

1. BoH

BoH Guest

Personally never been a fan of them in the past, but now for various reasons I'm being forced to use largely Marine/mauraders in games, everyone seems to rave about them so wanted to get a 2nd opinion on their effectiveness & when are good times to use them.

2. ArAkNA

ArAkNA New Member

Use stimpacks when you know the damage taken from it won't do you too much harm. Stimpacks boost attackspeed and speed by 50%, so you should know when to use them:) test them out because they're awesome.

3. alung2k3

alung2k3 New Member

Barry, South Wales
    Think of it like this.

Stimpacks + Medivacs = Tons of dps and regeneration ability.

I find it's best when you want to focus fire something down but it's also great when defending choke holds. The enemy can only attack a few units while your stimmed up ripping them to shreds.

4. Conkrete

Conkrete New Member

Florida
    I can't imagine not getting Stims if I was going for any sort of infantry approach with Terran, honestly. Vs. Protoss, A group of stimmed Marauders absolutely ****s on any similarly sized group of Stalkers and/or Sentries, and they work great against Immortals and Colossus as well. Vs. Terran, if both you and your opponent go infantry early on, properly timed stims will set you apart, and Marauders+Stims make work out of mech. Vs. Zerg, MM already rapes, so they're not TOTALLY necessary, I don't think, but they definitely rape 50% harder hah. In ANY match up, MMM with stims is nuts being that the 10 damage is pretty negligible when your troops are constantly being healed. So basically, I can't find a reason not to get them, being how cheap they are for the benefit.

5. Taerix

Taerix New Member

Stims should always be one of the first things you research as a terran player, especially if you're going for an infantry heavy build.

It's well worth the 10 hp dmg it does as it increase attack and run speed by 50%. A small pack of stimmed marines can do obscene amounts of damage, plus they can kite if needed.

6. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Pre-Medivacs you want to do it if it will give you the edge you need.

Or if you can afford it, like what Alung said. It's fantastic for holding choke points/ramps.

7. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    It costs about 100/100, it is a small price to pay for the potential damage it can do to your opponent.

It is one of those things that is always worth having and using wisely.

8. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

in a defensive position stimpacks can literally save you from the early destruction of your choke point befre you set up the siege tanks

9. fantom

fantom New Member

I think it is imperative to combine them with medivacs... but then, I don't know why you would have marines and no medivacs if they were playing any sort of important role in your strategy.

10. hobart

hobart New Member

can anyone comment on the timing of stimpack use. I'm in kinda the same situation as the OP. I never used to research it (i'm bad at unit abilites like that), but i see so many people hyping them up I just had to try them, and in the last several matches i've rolled terran i go ahead and pick up the upgrade. what always seems to happen, howerver, is that my units will engage theirs (i may have a nice little group of MMs with some air and/or tank support, and my opponent has a little group of zels and stalks or lings and hydras lets say), a second or 2 into battle I pop all my stims (cuz i just remembered) and all my marines instantly die, almost as if i woulda been better off not using stims. So, my questions again, what's the timing of the stims you guys use, and do you notice your units getting one shot everytime you activate them.

THANKS

11. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    Well two things, you have to use the stim at the VERY START of the fight, don't forget to use it. Also, against melee units it helps a lot to "kite" them by using stim then running away and pressing S for stop (which makes your units stop running and turn around to attack), then running away again and pressing S, run, S, run, S, etc which makes it almost impossible for any melee units to damage them at all, especially if your marauders have concussive shells to slow down the enemy.

12. Kayhoff

Kayhoff New Member

Uh, just making sure, but when you say you "pop all your stims", you don't mean you stim all of your units multiple times, do you? If so, thats the problem. Only do it once, as it doesn't stack. If you are stimming a bunch, you will just have a bunch of units with 5 hp left, which then instantly die.

13. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    ^ What he means is that you should select all your units and press T once, which causes all selected units to stim. If you press T multiple times then every unit will stim over and over and be left with 5 hp.

14. hobart

hobart New Member

LOL i think that's what i'm doing. I select all my infantry and just spam the stimpack button, so it's probably stimping them all until they have 5 HP left. I just assumed it was smartcast with a cooldown, so i had to keep spamming it to stimp all my units. Next game it have it I will try just hitting the stimp button once.

15. Kayhoff

Kayhoff New Member

Thank you RushSecond for the clarification.
    @Hobart, when you first hit T, you should see a green lightning bolt appear over your men. This means the affects have activated. When a red lightning bold appears, it means it has worn off. When you see the red lightning bolt, restim.

16. THUNDERNUTS

THUNDERNUTS Guest

Hobart
    Like arakna said, basically if you can afford to take the extra damage caused by stimpacks to your units, go nuts. This means that you are not surrounded by zerglings / melee units and you have enough medivacs to heal up. Just hit stimpacks and wait to get healed through it and repeat, unless you can't afford to do so whether it be the combat situation or lack of medivacs.

17. BillyMays

BillyMays Guest

BAHAHAHA...that's too good! Best use for me is to stim immediately before fight and kite if possible. Also very nice to give a brief period so that medivacs can undo Stimpack damage

18. Ryukossei

Ryukossei New Member

stim pack is awsome, use it when you are being attacked by a large of units for exemple zerglings i can tell you only half of them will get closer and die few seconds later, you can use it to break structures you will break them in a blink of an eye.

To use stim pack just click one time and all units will have stim activated for some seconds, if you see that they are attacking slower use it again but use it wisely, remember you will lose hp using it, and stim wont stack by using it many times in a row.

Basically, stim pack is good for defense and when you want to finish you oponent fast.

19. BeHelpful

BeHelpful New Member

I mass 30+ Marines at once at least, before I fight. Having any less than that seems ineffective, or does minimal damage.

But stimmed Marines ftw :)

20. hobart

hobart New Member

After about a week or two with stims (used properly) I can report that OMG they are amazing. It's now the very first thing I upgrade with terran (and i usually tech lab my first barracks) and it totally owns. When i Play with buddies and they give me control I always ***** at them for not having stims researched cuz it's just too damned good. The huge DPS increase on top of the brilliant movement speed increase makes non stimmed infantry look pathetic. So ya, Stims ftw, I think we can all agree, if you're getting infantry it's a must.