Starcraft2forum 3.0

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by sc2forums, Mar 23, 2008.

Starcraft2forum 3.0

1. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

Dear all, as you know, we went through a moderately sized forum overhaul not too long ago.

I have decided another one is needed, this time on a much larger scale. I am posting this here and not as a news announcement because I feel that it will be the forum regulars who read this, and this change will affect you guys the most.

I am looking to move over to Vbulletin forum software, leaving SMF behind. While SMF has been good to us over the past year, it's development team and the resources they have are minuscule compared to VB. SMF is great if you want a basic forum with some features like the mineral system we have here, but I know you guys crave for more.

This is one of the reasons we are changing over, but in addition to this, we will have more robust forum software that is more actively developed and will provide many new features for the community. The current backend of the site is not exactly perfect and has several problems I can't seem to fix, and is very, very outdated.

The changeover will allow for a much more efficiently managed forum, with easier moderation tools, and tons of exciting features in the new shop/mineral system. Battle pets will become feasible (i tried but it was way too time consuming for me to code and I gave up...). VB has pre-developed pets system which can be more easily modified to suit our site (think starcraft themed).

The benefits are too numerous to list. The downside however is this. With the upgrade, I will be unable to move your existing items and pets over to the new system. We are however working to record the value of your items and give you that amount in credit to use on the new system.

This move will only be possible with your support and hopefully, will be the last major upgrade we will undergo. We have decided it is better to do it now, than wait till later, and I am sure you will appreciate the new features and benefits.

Thanks for understanding, and I will keep you up to date as to the progress.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Are you saying everyone will lose their items and get the money equivalent to them? Firstly, the value of an item is very subjective, especially for sold out items. Secondly, if all items in the shop get reset, then everyone will barge into the new shop and buy all the rare items they couldn't have here, possibly leaving the previous owners baffled to see that they're left with their money and no item worth noting. Isn't it possible to record the actual items one has (there is already a 'who owns this' list...) and reset everyone's possessions using that?
    If I'm misinterpreting this then sorry.

As for the rest, I'm glad we're making progress :) We appreciate your work and time put into this. I have a small feature request though, for the next era of starcraft2forum.org - be more active and 'mix' with us :p We'd like to get to know more about the person who's behind this great site and community. I've been here for quite a long time now and all I know is your profession ;D

Keep up the good work :good:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    This sounds good. :) Keep it up sc2forums!

But I have to agree with Kuvasz. You can't turn sold out pets and items into minerals as they are worth a lot more than their shop prices indicate.
    Items still in stock: fine. People can buy those again without any harm done.
    But you'll have to keep track of who owns what sold out item.

Thanks.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I dont like it either kuvasz, especially the 1st editions that are nearly sold out? How can I be sure to get my 3 naelings 1st edition if Im not one the day it happends

Hope it will suceed after all....

(Perhaps Ill only buy a drone and 3 banelings and a Lurker, the other Zerg pets are after all not that funny :p; Then with a nydus worm later Ill be able to kill you all :D)

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Actually this is my problem too.. It shows that I've paid 1100 for my immortals each, but the last one was 3100, and I don't remember the other.. So here is instant 2000 minerals lost... I hope you can solve this somehow scforums, or else some of us will be very sad... especially the ones who bought the sold out stuff for high prices in the trade center, like kuvasz said..

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think he will Hunter, but Im a bit worried too!
    (perhaps he can calculate the total numbers of minerals we have gained, and then just give us them?)

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Now that is a good idea :D That would only cut down the trade center incomes, so I think kuvasz wouldn't be really happy with that... :D

8. Light

Light Guest

Perhaps we should give people specific voucher codes..or maybe give items induvidual voucher codes.

9. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I'm not into this web programming stuff... This looks really complicated to me, cause here are more than 1000 (2000) members, who have some stuff.. And I don't know how could you give out the vouchers

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

This is great! I'm only worried about my minerals and items. :(

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I still this will be the best way to do it! Anyone has an other idea that might work?

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well, he could lock the shop and all trading functions and let all the moderators check who owns what before the changeover. Might take some time, but it would be the most fair way for us users.

13. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I agree. I love having a Jim Raynor doll since he is my favorite hero from sc, and would hate to lose him simply because I wasnt able to get back to the shop quickly enough to buy him back.

I think either a voucher system or item record should be used so people have a better change of getting thier sold out items back.

14. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    this all sounds good, but i really dont want to lose all my pets.

pheraps have a sort of system where you can receive the exact same items back, there like reserved or something.

15. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I have 92538 minerals in items.
    I'll be rich if we get minerals for the items we had in the new forum!

16. Light

Light Guest

LT proves another point- many people will buy other things, not their items for their minerals. It will be unfair.

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Why? People brought the pets and items they liked, so why should they buy other things?
    The only problem I can see are the 1st edition pets that are sold out or nearly sold out. I dont want to risk to loose my 2-3 banelings because some other brought them!

But i cant really find a solution that isnt unfair for someone, because some of the products were sold at a higher price. No problems whould have happend if we were communism, because then the products are just worth what it costed to create them!!!

18. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Why buy a few lings for example, when you can now afford the queen.

19. Light

Light Guest

Many people want to sell their items now to buy other items. This makes it easier for them.,

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, but how can this be fixed? Shall he give all members their pets back or what? He isnt an alien after all...