Starcraft2 taking sounds from other games?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Rex, Jan 10, 2008.

Starcraft2 taking sounds from other games?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Rex, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Rex

Rex New Member

I was searching around, and saw sc2pod under affiliates, and clicked on it. The Video with the Terran Marines /w one medic, was getting attacked by a Tank while searching/exploring, and when the Marines started shooting the sound of the shooting was from a Halo 3 Gun (I think is was an Assault Rifle). I have heard familiar sounds, that sound like they are from other games. When I find/remember them I'll post em.

Link:http://sc2pod.com/news/ First Video on that site.

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    As long as the sound effects are good, it doesn't matter to me if they came from other games.

It could be pretty hard and costly to make all the effects themselves, when they could reuse sound effects from other games at a much cheaper price. As long as the effects fits.

I don't like the new medic sound effect though, I hope they can get a new one. If not, then I will get used to it and it will bother me less.

3. Rex

Rex New Member

Don't worry we will all get used to the sounds :D I hope Zerg will sound way more vicious.

4. kraft

kraft New Member

I like the sound's of the Starcraft 2, but, they's can change when talk the tank, and the medics, and everithing, all the units have the same voice of the Starcraft 1, without the Zealots, and Marines...

But, Starcraft 2, will be the best game of the WORLD!!!!

=D

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I loved the Zerg larva sounds when you kept clicking them, you could tell they'd get pissed off with the sudden loud hissing noise. Zergling and Hydralisk sounds were just right. Most annoying was the air units.

6. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Absolutly love the Zerg sounds. They're just so slimy and appropriate. Click on a hydra and you know there's a killing machine monster subservient to you. In other words, hydras sound like beasts and slaves at the same time. I don't play much Zerg, but they really have the best sound effects hands down.

I don't know, guns sound like guns. I doubt using effects from other games would be cheaper; as Blizz would have to pay the original company for it's use. Not just the cash value for the file, but also for the human who has to go to Bungie and say "We wanna use your shit".

If you've seen sound effects engineers at work before (Jay Leno had some on his show not too long ago) you'll realize how easy it is with common objects. You or I could walk around the house and find two objects when hit together in rapid succession sound like a gat.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The SC1 Marine gun sounded a lot more aggressive. I liked it. The new Medic healing sound is awkward. That should also sound more like the SC1 version. But all the other sound effects are great, I like the new Siege Tanks' shooting sound.
    But what I am really worried about, are the Zerg. They just have to sound all slimy and disgusting. They changed the Protoss voices a little too much, but it doesn't bother me. But changing Zerg voices would be terrible.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    There are companies that supply sounds so bunge and Blizzard might have gotten them at the same place. Its probably just a place holder anyway.

In pre-production Star Trek films have used Star Wars sounds before

9. ironpanda

ironpanda New Member

Using sound from other videogame/movie have been using for so long, i have heard many time the same sound from many different game

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I agree with BoP. I'm almost positive they're just placeholders till they record their own.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes That goes for the voices too. Have you noticed some of the voices are from SC1? the rest are low quality Dev recordings. When this game starts to get to beta they will have hired proper sound actors and Foley artists and the sounds will start to get cleaned up.

Right now they are focusing all their attention on deciding what units to have. no reason to record a whole bunch of sounds for a unit just to throw it away because it doesn't fit/is unbalanced to badly to fix

12. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I don't hear the resemblance to the Assault Rifle. Maybe it's because the marines are shooting in short bursts, but hey, whatever.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Methinks Rex just plays Halo too much.

14. Rex

Rex New Member

... Everyone says that, I didn't touch it for like 2 months already. I also dislike it when people say that :(.The sound sounded familiar so I remembered that it was from Halo.

Anyways it'd be nice if Blizzard did record realistic sounds, and use it for Starcraft 2. I think thats what they did for Halo, but it sucked (Most of the sound effects, such as the Car crashing, and etc.).

15. 574RCR4F7

574RCR4F7 New Member

You have been hypnotized by bungie...
    Jokes! but really, I dont think so... The sound is fine to me.

16. Rex

Rex New Member

You can say that over and over (Which I dislike) but I just heard it, so I'm just wondering if its true that SC2 is taking sounds from other games. Halo was an example of one. I'm tired of this going on and on (Kind spamish). So lets just say it came from a sound database or w/e. Also I'm not saying theres anything wrong with the sound.

Lock topic please.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Once again it is too early to worry about sound and graphics. Chances are they don't even have a professional sound mixer on the project yet. They will before the game comes out.

Blizzard is too into quality to use canned sounds for a full game and it wouldn't surprise me if they hired a team of foley artists.