Starbase Modification

Discussion in 'Terran' started by random guy, Aug 14, 2007.

Starbase Modification

Discussion in 'Terran' started by random guy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. random guy

random guy Guest

Hi guys. Been regularly visiting this site for starcraft 2 updates. Kudos to the moderators for a swell job on the forums. :good: Anyway, just wondering what you guys think about this. I think it would be logical for the starbase to get the repair ability since it is a flying factory for the terran ships. However, the "nano repair" should be changed to a "regular repair", meaning you use up minerals, not energy, when repairing ships, much like what the SCVs do. I think it would make sense to see a damaged ship dock on the starbase to undergo some repairs. This might serve as a better incentive for players to upgrade their starports to starbases. It might also be more useful if it had 2 or 3 docking bays so it can repair multiple ships simultaneously. The base might have to look bigger though if this were the case. On the other hand, bringing a fleet of battlecruisers with maybe 3 or 4 starbases to repair 3 or 4 damaged ships at a time might not be so bad as well. :) That way, they can change the look of the nomad back to the science vessel or a new one (but keep the name. Nomad sounds way better than science vessel) and bring back irradiate as well. Thoughts?

2. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I like it, docking for repairs is cool, costing minerals is more balanced as well.

I think docking 4 units sounds about right. Good idea, gives more meaning to make a starbase.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

nice thought, i agree repair should cost minerals instead of energy but game mechanic wise it's very different

nano repair instantly
    scv repair takes time

so it might be hard to implement instant repair with resources correctly, imagine if you had lots of resources then you could keep a unit alive for a long time by instantly repairing it.

4. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Yeah I think it is a great idea. Maybe put an autocast on the "regular repair" ability for the starbase. Nomads can keep their nano repair with the energy requirement of course. I mean it is the terran's ability to repair as one of their unique characteristics.

yea multiple starbases would be mad expensive, but oh well haha

:powerup:

welcome btw! Enjoy and have fun!

5. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Not bad but I think it should only repair one at a time as well.

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Good idea. I like it :powerup:

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Good idea, that way we could get rid of those flying boxes called Nomads.

8. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Maybe give Starbase some weapons ? Like a Mothership version :D

With repair ability and AA only weapons ^^ i just dig the idea of gigant ships clashing in space...

PEW PEW BOOOM.... You are my Son... NOOOO..... PEW PEW.... :p

9. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

or make it a carrier for BCs that would pwn

10. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i thought they already did that...

for balance, repairs should only be done while the ship is docked, IE, not doing anything

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    just think of the starbase as a dropship for air. it will have docks for ships, but bigger ships takes up more space, so you could fit 2 BC:s or 4 Banshees/Vikings/Predators/Nomads. As long as a damaged ship is inside, it will slowly(half SCV-repair speed) regain hp, at the cost of money. The Starbase cannot build units if it has units docked.
    And if some annoying Terran player keeps repairing his ship while sending out others, just do what you would do against a Protoss with a arbiter. If you dont have detectors(in this case enuff firepower to destroy the ships before they dock again) just go for the arbiter!(starbase)

12. random guy

random guy Guest

Thanks for the welcome and the power-up guys. Appreciate it. :) I don't think that the starbase needs to have any offensive abilities since it is meant to be supported offensively by a fleet of ships. I think I might not have clearly stated it, but what I meant to say was that the starbase should either be able to dock and repair one ship at a time, or be much bigger than what it is now and be able to dock and repair 3 or 4 ships simultaneously. I think Gasmaskguy put it best, and I agree with him that more docks should be occupied by larger ships (e.g. battlecruisers), and that unit production should be halted when a ship docks for repairs. Of course, docked units are rendered inactive in the playing field (i.e. unable to attack), and will be lost when the starbase is destroyed.

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I actually think a Starbase would be less useful than a flying Factory or Barracks. Air units can fly wherever anyways, but ground units can't. Might be a little imba, though.

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think Gasmaskguy nailed it.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Welcome to the forums random guy. I agree with all of your suggested ideas. I've never for a second liked the starbase idea or nano repair for nomad/sci-ves, but I think with your ideas all balance in the universe is finally restored, the yin and yang is again at equilibrium, and perhaps even the planets are in alignment.

With all kidding aside, I think what you have in mind is just what is needed for the starbase. Recharging energy of other units doesn't really make much sense unless it's mechanical units only, but even then I didn't really loving that ability for the starbase personally. I think repair, especially one that can repair mutliple units simultaneously is a better reason to go through the trouble and even get a starbase, it also makes hella more sense for having it around considering it's a air unit production building.

Good ideas, love it, power up, enjoy.

EDIT: I think starbase repair working just like SCV repair would be perfectly fine for game balance.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    thanks, its always nice when people like your ideas ;)
    here comes some more ideas;

You should have a button that activates/deactivates the repairing.
    There should be upgrades that can be made. One that makes the repairing process 50-75% faster(but costs the same cash per hp) and another one that makes the docks a little bigger.

It could work like a CC in the fact that you have to chose between multiple upgrades, but you can only have one.
    Its kind of characteristic for the Terran buildings. CC choses between Scan and Fortress, and Barracks/Factories choses between Reactors and Tech Labs

A, its an aura that makes air units(perhaps even ground) within a small sircle slowly regain mana and/or
    B, the docked ships regain mana faster than usual.

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I thought the idea of starbase repairing air units is to replenish HP just like the repair ability, not replenish energy(mana).

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It's not so much of a repair ability as a re-arm ability. In fact it's called re-arm.

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I am talking about the repair idea suggested in this thread, not what they have in the game right now.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Agreed