Star Relic and why I think it should be reintroduced

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Patuljak, Nov 2, 2007.

Star Relic and why I think it should be reintroduced

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Patuljak, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Hello. I was a big fan of the current mothership because I think that the protoss need a supportive, massable air unit and the current mothership is just that. Well, not exactly massable, but you can still build them in larger numbers. The protoss airforce currently has an amazing synergy and I will do my best to explain why.

Phoenix is the classic aircraft. It takes care of smaller enemy air units with its Overload ability.

Warp ray is a heavy damage aircraft that excells versus enemy capital ships and buildings.

Carrier is a good all-around consistent damage dealer and is good versus basic infrantry with anti air capatibilities.

And the current Mothership is a supportive spellcasting aircraft which basicly helps around with its timebomb, planet cracker and cloaking field (which is kind of useless but I'll cover this later) abilites.

I know it's not the best presentation but it's the best I can think of at the moment. Anyway, I would be ok if the protoss airforce stayed like this.
    But...seeing as most of you would like to see the super unit Mothership reintroduced
    and seeing that I and possibly more people think that the protoss need a massable support unit...

Is a good enough reason why the Star Relic should be reintroduced.

LordKerwyn was the one to suggest this and if the Star Relic was to be reintroduced I think that there would be no problem with the super unit Mothership. The idea even sounds very attractive to me now ;D

Now let's cover the current Mothership's abilities (again, it may not be the best but I'll do what I can):

Cloaking field
    May sound nice in theory, but when you take in consideration that the Mothership may do nothing while casting it, not to mention that the Mothership is at the end of the tech tree, meaning that the enemy surely has detectors by the time you have a Mothership...well, I fail to see any use for it whatsoever.

Time bomb
    It is a very nice ability that also fits in with the protoss theme. But I say give it to the Star Relic. I'll explain why later.

Planet cracker
    A cool ground aoe ability. I think that the super unit mothership should keep it. I can't say if it needs to be tweaked or not, since I don't know how strong it currently is.

My suggestion is:

Reimplement the Star Relic. Let it keep the Detonate ability. Give it a passive cloak, like the one that the Arbiter had. And give it a tweaked Time bomb ability. I think that this ability would be better off with the Star Relic.

The Star Relic originaly also had hallucination. Yes, it was a great ability, but it wasn't used much in the original Starcraft. I chose detonate over hallucination because I believe it could be used to better extent.

Then, reimplement the super unit Mothership. Let it keep the Planet cracker ability. Give it (seeing as most of you are BIG fans of it) a tweaked Black hole ability and some other ability that would work well with the rest. One of the possibilities is a version of Recall.

Some of you might think that recall would overlap with the current warp-in mechanic. I think that it wouldn't. Recall is basicly an upgraded version of the warp-in, and it would fit in with the flagship idea. You could also have only one mothership which is why it couldn't be abused. Imagine a game that has lasted for long already. You're sieging the enemy's base and preparing for the last, decisive assault. Seeing as it's already late game, you have units scattered all over the map. What you do is to click the Mothership and recall all of the units scattered across the map in front of the enemy's base. Sounds pretty cool and useful and fits in with the flagship theme. Of course recall would have other uses too, this is just one.

Anyway, that's it. Big thanks to LordKerwyn for the ideas and for showing me how and why the super unit Mothership would fit in the game. Please post your opinions and discuss, as I think that this is a good idea and a good solution.

And thanks for reading!

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Very good ideas. That summed up what I had been thinking for a while now. Nice way of putting it. :powerup:

3. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    My suggestion is to have them both. Read my post again if you don't understand.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Sounds like how it originally was.

I would swap the recall and time bomb because the time-bomb is a powerful ability

Also the Star Relic had hallucination in its repertoire

5. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Yes, pretty much how the original was, if you leave out the abilities.
    I suggested a twinked version of time bomb. The time bomb is, after all, a slightly different version of statis field and I think it would be better off if it could be used many times. If the SU Mothership would be to have it it could cast it only 2-3 times before running out of mana. I think it would be better off with the Star Relic.
    Yes, it had hallucination. It's a great ability but it wasn't used much in the original Starcraft. I chose detonate over hallucination because I think detonate could be used to better extent. I'll edit the original post and explain why I didn't include hallucination.
    And please explain why you would swap recall.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Detonate wasn't a separate ability. It was a weapon effect. It happened every tome the relic fired

7. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I thought detonate was a suicide ability that dealt much damage but destroyed the Star Relic in the process?
    Could you provide a link or something similar where the ability is explained please, I'm very interested?

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I had a third thought I always believed it was like yamato but weaker with the added effect if it killed the unit there was explosion in proportion to the dead units health.

9. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

I'll let BoP find the link since I dont know where to look but I believe, (I'm not sure) but the detonate ablity was that when the star relic fired it had a affect on it's shot and if the unit it was attacking died with this effect it would explode and damage those around it. I think this is what it did but I'm not sure.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Ah I found something.

The Star Relicdid have a detonate ability that caused the relic to explode after a brief ammount of time with the hitpoints determining damage.

It alsa had a fusion beam as a weapon that caoused an enemy to explode doing AoE damage.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=4&cId=3161564

Theres also this but it doesn't cite any sources
    http://starcraft.incgamers.com/wiki/Star_Relic

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Hmm I could believe that but I guess comes the question does it matter? The Star Relic still only originally had 2 abilities on top of Detonate. Also while the Time Bomb does make more sense lore wise on the Mothership it terms of actual utility it will be far more useful on the Star Relic than the Mothership. Also the reason I suggested giving the SU Mothership recall is because the SU Mothership is the flagship of the Protoss fleet and it should have the ability to pull the fleet together around it.

12. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Ah. Thank you BoP. It's what I thought it is, so I'm not going to change my original post. Didn't know about the fusion beam though.

EDIT: or it may be either detonate or the fusion beam. I'd say it's detonate and that there's no fusion beam.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Detonate is an ability and Fusion beam is the attack. The unit was axed so finding information is annoying

14. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    You still haven't told what you think about the issue.

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I thought that was already known. I push for the reintroduction of the relic and the new MS every chance I get.

I do like the idea of a moving cloak though like the arbiter had.

16. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I agree with you except possibly on the exact ablility specifics but that is minor.

Stasis ord is a bad idea. Non-Super unit mothership is an even worse idea.