Stalker vs Immortal

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by paragon, Jul 3, 2007.

Stalker vs Immortal

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by paragon, Jul 3, 2007.

1. paragon

paragon Guest

I think the stalker is better than the immortal. I will give pros and cons of each unit and then tell you why the stalker is better.
    Stalker
    Pros
    Blink
    Fast attack
    Pretty powerful attack
    Fast movement
    Cons
    Relatively weak shields/hp

Immortal
    Pros
    Hardened Shield
    Pretty powerful attack
    Cons
    Slow attack
    Slow movement
    Pretty weak when not against heavy hitters that activate the hardened shield

The Stalker is better than the immortal because the immortal is a niche unit while the stalker is a better all around unit. Stalkers will be able to blink in close to a unit such as a tank or a battlecruiser (in the case of the tank, rendering the siege mode useless as it will be within the minimum range) and focus fire them to kill them quickly. The immortal on the other hand will slowly lumber towards the siege tank and slowly attack it and eventually destroy all of them. This is why the stalker is better. It's fast, mobile, and can deal out lots of damage.

2. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i agree that stalkers seem better, but they really are just support units. they attack while other, hardier units take the damage. but as you said, the stalkers blink will make them useful at taking out siege units. and, depending on the costs, their blink could make them a good meat shield in case the rest of your army needs to retreat.

3. Meloku

Meloku New Member

You're asking which is better- a sword or a shield. You can't even compare them XD

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Untrue Meloku. The best defense is a good offense, especially with choke point strategies evaporating.

5. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

stalker and immortal are for different things, one is a scout/assault and the other is a sledgehammer.
    i think the feel of each unit in game will determine which is better rather than stats.

6. paragon

paragon Guest

You can parry a blow with a sword and then return for a counterattack.
    You can block a blow with a shield and then hit the opponent with the shield.

Which is the sledgehammer exactly? I assume you mean immortal except that it's damage is more like a rubber mallet.

7. burkid

burkid New Member

stalker all the way.
    and another unconfirmed con for immortals:no air attack
    you should make this a poll

8. Ghost

Ghost New Member

If you actually up a Stalker and an Immortal 1v1 solo, the stalker wins.

In a battle Stalkers seem to be brilliant base raiders, while immortals are spearhead shock/assault tanks. They can both deal equaly serious damage in their own ways.

EDIT: paragon, you forgot the Immortals high hp in its pros, even without its hardened shield it has a pretty high consitution.

9. Light

Light Guest

the immortal wins, 1v1, it will just blow the stalker out of air before it could kill him.
    its hard to say which one is better, they both got their uses,and will better perform in different situations.

10. Skylark

Skylark New Member

I would think that, based on the demo, a stalker would defeat an immortal 1v1, as the immortal is more suited to anti-heavy artillery/battery/shock fire. Since its anti-shock shied (overshield?) severely deflects heavy hits, it would seem that a balance would be that its more vulnerable to medium and light weapons than normal. Then again, the immortal, being ranged, takes away the stalker's (arguably) best ability-blink.

But I think they really are far too different to compare; especially since we still haven't seen the final versions. Time will tell...

11. DontHate

DontHate New Member

but still. the hp and shields of a immortal are much greater.
    it all depends if immortals can attack air and what else the hardened sheilds activate upon. if it's only reavers and tanks i find them pretty useless. also i dont think the stalker is that great of a fighter even with it's moderatly high attack damage. it's health is too low for it.

12. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    The thing with the Stalker is that you have to be smart with it. I personally love the stalker more than the immortal because 1)It looks so awesome and 2) They seem to be the unit that you just can't make an assault without. In a 1v1 between stalker and immortal, i would say stalker would win, just because it can just eat up an immortal little by little

13. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

keep in mind that the immortal will probably cost a lot of resources

14. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

I can see the immortal being used to head an assault on a sieged area while the stalkers blink to the flank of the tanks.

Once inside minimum range, take the immortals out of range and its gg tanks.

15. paragon

paragon Guest

Do realize that nobody is dumb enough to keep tanks in siege mode if any unit especially melee units are right on top of them. Also, if the only attackers are immortals, nobody is dumb enough to stay in siege mode. Siege tank in tank mode > immortal. I'm sure.

16. burkid

burkid New Member

except we dont know sh*t bout the tanks stats yet, so it might just suck in tank mode.

17. Zergme

Zergme New Member

i think they both have the ups and downs i do like the stalkers blink power will greatly make them better but the immortals are great for tacking the front for like an massive attack as the stalkers blink int from the side or somthing it would be great so i think used togeather they would fucking kill

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

mebbe not. things like regular siege tank, battle cruiser, and warp rays might still activate the immortal shield.

immortals would actually probably be useless in a frontal attack, they would be destroyed in seconds by things like other immortals and stalkers, marines, and zerglings and hydras would tear the immortals apart

19. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

lol why do people think immortal is weak.
    atm
    immortal has 100 sheild, 240 hp, about 4 shots to kill reaper
    stalker has 60 sheild 120 hp, about 3 shots to kill reaper

20. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

yeah, and stalkers probably cost half as much to make