spider mines

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ninerfanj343, Mar 14, 2008.

spider mines

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ninerfanj343, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ninerfanj343

ninerfanj343 New Member

will spiders mines be back in starcraft 2? I think that if they are back the Nomad will make them. What do you guys think?

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Please do some research before posting... We have the Mine Drone now. That is a static defence build by the Nomad. It has the ability to produce mines that function almost in the same way as spider mines used to. That unit was actually kinda my idea. :D Anyway, the Spider Mines are highly unlikely to return.

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I can see some great tactics with the Nomad in the hands of a skilled player

4. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

agreed, since it seems that the science vessel is replaced by the nomad(or it seems to be for me) its usefulness will be greater with spider mines protecting the dropped turrets

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I am affraid that you do not understand what the Mine Drone is... It is not a mine, it is a really small building that produces mines. The Nomad will not be dropping any mines by itself.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yeah, I guess I am a bit to dedicated to these forums lately. I mean, it is now 2 pm here, everyone is asleep already and I am still browsing the forums. :p

7. -LT-

-LT- New Member

You mean 2 am?

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Jon said that in the current build the nomad has only one turret, so no mine drone!

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    NOOO! Not my precious Mine Drone... We needs it! We wants it! They can't takes it from us! *is slapped in the face* I loved the mine drone, a lot of people did. How are the Terran supposed to set up an ambush now? No more mines means that they only have the Banshee for stealthy stuff, but they are not supposed to be used for defensive purposes. This is not a good decision in my opinion. By the way, I was indeed reffering to 2 am in my previous post. :p

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Really forsaken it came to late to be usefull (tier 3, everyone has detection).

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Tier 3? I did not know that, but we all know that units can be shifted among tiers. However, if they do not appear in the final release, they will probably still be in the editor. I am planning to mod for this game anyway. Modding for Warcraft 3 is starting to get boring.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Lets look at when the nomad came:
    Barracks tier 1
    Factory tier 2
    Starport tier 3
    So, they came a bit late!

13. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Nah, I do not think of the Starport as a real tier 3 building. You can get one pretty quickly and it also produces lower tier units then the nomad and bc, like the Banshee. Anyway, I just came up with a new idea: why not let the Mine Drone be built by the SCV? It is in fact just a tiny building, so I do not really see a reason why this would not be possible. Any thoughts on this?

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, that would work. Just make the Armory or something into it's pre-requisite.

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Fo®Saken i like that idea!
    But i like adding a new turret to the Nomad even more... (or the old spider mines + vultures back)

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    So where is my :powerup: then? Nah, just kidding. ;) Having the old vulture back would be nice, but I think it would be easier to give the ability to lay mines at a certain mineral cost and cooldown to the Jackal. However, I am not really a big fan of the Jackal at the moment. I still prefer the old grenade launcher style attack, but I guess that would be a to big overlap with the Marauder. Or just do it, scrap the Marauder and bring the Medic back. Everyone happy in one modification.

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Or scrap the damn jetty reaper (his mines suck vs everything that isn't standing still)?
    As far as i know the attack animation of the jackal was just a solution until they made a new one!?

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Speaking about Reaper Mines, I have a pretty nice idea about those too. I came up with it last night, but forgot to post it. How about an upgrade for Reaper mines so that you can target units with them an makes them stick to the target?

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Would be balanced as long as he can destroy it before it goes off, like with Spider Mines.
    But it would be funny if the unit with the mine on it took the same damage as the mine when you tried to destroy it in time, so that shooting them off with a Siege Tank would be a phail but countering it with a Marine would result in a lot more hp left.