Spending money in mid/late game

Discussion in 'Terran' started by imjorman, Dec 8, 2010.

Spending money in mid/late game

Discussion in 'Terran' started by imjorman, Dec 8, 2010.

1. imjorman

imjorman New Member

Ohio
    Hey all,

I'm a relatively new player (2 weeks in lol, so real new). And I'm starting to get a handle on the basics thanks to these forums, the official forums, and Day[9], but my main issue is spending my freakin money.

At the beginning of the game I find myself doing fine, but when I get up to 20 SCV's I always find myself having far to much money - even when I expand/build more production buildings. I get up to 200 food very quickly in a lot of games and I feel like my money is just sitting there worthless.

Should I be attacking more if I get to 200 food fast, tech more, or what? I'm just having a rough time with this basic material :(

Thanks for all the help,

Imjor

2. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    If find that you should have 3-4 production buildings for every fully mining base you have. So on one base you would gradually get up to 3 barracks, then after expanding you should get 2 more (maybe a factory and starport) and when the expansion also fully gets up to speed you can add on even more.

Also, be sure to hotkey all your production buildings to a control group; I use ctrl 4. And if that's not enough, don't be afraid to build even more production buildings, since a 200/25 barracks with tech lab can allow you to spend hundreds of minerals in a short time, it is a good deal if you have money piling up.

At 200/200 supply you should attack, and if you are approaching 200/200 you should get some weapon and armor upgrades, those have a massive effect on large armies while not taking up any additional supply.

3. imjorman

imjorman New Member

Ohio
    Thanks for this tip! I was only having (at max) 3 barracks, 4 starports, and 1 factory all crowded in my main. That tip is gonna help me spread out and be more productive.

Do you hotkey all buildings to one control group? I typically have been using:
    1 - Command center #1
    2 - All barracks
    3 - All factories (if I build more than one)
    4 - All starports
    5-8ish - Army
    0-Command center #2 (I continue to work backwards with subsequent command centers),

Would combining this be more effective?

4. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

/\ This.

5. Yonkid

Yonkid New Member

No need to combine - that's really fine, each kind needs its own control group.

6. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    I put all barracks, factories, and starports together on ctrl 4, and all command centers on ctrl 5. That way I use less hotkeys, and by pressing 4, I can see the progress of all the units being trained in all my buildings, and quickly start more units at inactive buildings. The only downside is that I have to tab between building types, which means I get a slight delay whenever I want to build something not at a barracks or gateway.

So it depends if you think you are faster at tabbing, or faster at managing 3 control groups.

7. imjorman

imjorman New Member

Ohio
    For me it probably is managing multiple control groups. This way I don't have to watch the task selection pane to now what building I currently have selected. I just know to hit "2" and "A, A" for my reactor barracks. Etc. for other buildings.

Thank you so much for your help!