Spell Check and Australian Spelling

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by ItzaHexGor, Feb 7, 2008.

Spell Check and Australian Spelling

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First off, I wasn't sure whether this should go here or in "Computers and Technology", but here goes.
    Despite being an Australian, ever since I've started posting on this forum I have used the American spelling of words. I've done this because I feel that people who use correct grammar and spelling are generally more respected and convincing than people who don't. If someone makes a perfectly valid reply to a post but makes spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, then others will think that they do not know what they're talking about. This, and the fact that this is an American based forum, has been the main reason that I have chosen not to use the Australian versions of certain words, particularly words like; metre, realise, colour and gaol. I have been contemplating switching back to Australian spelling for a while but if there is ever a word where I'm not 100% sure what the Australian spelling is, the Spell Check will only ever bring up the U.S. spelling. I've right-clicked mistakes and gone to 'Languages' but the only option to choose from is 'English/United States'.
    Which leads me to my request/question. Surely there is a way to change this, otherwise there wouldn't be a language option. Is there a possibility that sc2forums or a Global Moderator will be able to add an Australian and U.K. version of Spell Check? Or is there another way that it can be changed?

2. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    YES!! that would be awesome....

i live in Australia, i want to write my post like an Australian. so yeah =]

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Not sure about gaol but metre and colour are perfectly legal. Also both spellings of gray are legal as well.

I don't know why spell check would catch those words but if it does ignore it

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    The only thing is that I am not english not from the UK and not from Australia, so I don't know how much australian spelling different is. If I couldn't understand your posts, I'd have lo look for the words in dictionaries.. So it would give me a hard time.
    But than again, I am still not sure what is the difference between US and Australian except for the things you mentioned.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    He's not talking about one version being illegal, he knows that both forms are accepted, he'd just prefer to type in Australian.

@Itza: I don't know the difference between the English and Australian spelling but the examples you brought up are spellt correctly in English, so maybe an English spell-checker is sufficient?

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Perhaps I should have used the term "valid" instead

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Well, our admin is an Australian. Not sure if that's relevant, just a fun fact.

I don't think anyone will really care how you spell things. But as for slang, try to keep it at a minimum. Remember, this is an international forum, and many of our members don't even speak English as a first language.

8. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    (like I said) And about spelling, just stay understandable. Some topics by cannon fodders were full with "wat do u think o that" and stuff like this. No offense tough

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Threads like that are subject to alteration for 2 reasons
    1. non-specific
    2. bad spelling

Using a different spelling is fine, using a completeley wrong spelling is bad.

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    [spam]Exactly[/spam]

I think every cannon fodder wants to gain posts fast at the beginning, so they don't really care.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think the first ten posts of new members should be flagged for easy reference so the mods know who is being naughty and can remind those users of the rules because even when someone tells them to read the rules they don't and then they end up having all the posts they made on the first day marked up in red. The sooner the new members find out about the rules the less posts need to be fixed

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yes, and I think some members left the forum because they made a wrong impression, for example by using moving text at a long arcticle.. Duplicate topics are also problems.. Maybe Mods shouldn't allow cannon fodders to create topics...

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That might put some people off too though. I think the best thing is for them to be monitored and get whacked upside the head when the do something wrong. Im always open for the job.

One thing I notice is the duplicate topics happen in general disscusssion which has no section mods whereas the NON-game related forums all have section-mods and no problems. vote BirdofPrey general discussion mod

Also the moving text thing is a space junk item. Its one of the reasonss I warn people to stay out of space junk. It rots your mind

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    There are different dialects of English. The main ones being U.S. English (which is what the Spell Check corrects to) and Australian/U.K. English (which is what I would like Spell Check to correct to). Words in U.S. English are spelt meter, realize, color and gaol, whereas in Australian/U.K. English they are spelt metre, realise, colour, and jail.
    The problem is not that feel people won't know what it means or think I can't spell or whatever, rather than if I don't know how to spell a certain word then I only get the U.S. spelling with Spell Check, meaning that I'm learning the U.S. spelling instead of the Australian spelling. If I just ignore it because I assume that it is correcting to U.S. English then I might genuinely be spelling the word wrong.
    That is interesting. I just assumed that they were American.
    Again, it's more to make sure that I'm spelling in the correct Australian way.

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Actually I spell it realise as well. Some things differ between states as well.

Dialects can be an issue but fixing the spell check just requires adding new words to the listing. Shouldn't take too long assuming it isn't hard-coded

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Isn't there a way to add the Australian/U.K. English language to the Spell Check though? The only option in the Languages menu is U.S. English.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    There might be, there also might be a reason why the admin chose not to add other languages to the spell check.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I don't even use the built in spell checker if I don't have to. I havea spell checker on Google toolbar that has all the gaming accronyms entered into it. Also I believe Firefox has a spellcheck function.

19. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yes it has, but I think it is only an addon, so it was a nice idea from the developers to add a checker to this site. If I am tired or make long posts it is really useful.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Why would admin actually choose to not to add other languages? I could understand why they don't include languages other than English, but they should still include the main two dialects of English.
    This made me think. If you said that you don't use it when you don't have to, I assume that would mean that it doesn't automatically underline your misspelt words in red, like it does for mine. Does that mean that I'm using the Firefox spell checker? Anyone know if I can add a language to that?