Space Bombardments?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Blackskies, Aug 15, 2007.

Space Bombardments?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Blackskies, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

The ability to bombard a large land mass with spacecraft in orbit of your planet. I mean we use things like that today I find it kind of stupid for the Terrans to just give up on something like that. I mean thats the ability to take out a large army with out wasting the time and money on Siege tanks that can't defend against air.

2. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

Orbital Bombardment, I believe was it's name.
    3 years ago, Dawn of War was the game.

3. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

Well realistically it makes sense but if terrans got that toss would have to get it to because they are more technologically advanced than us. That just leaves zerg messed up.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Yah the protoss can completely clean a planet from orbit but then that would just kinda ruin the point of any ground unit and make SC2 a space fleet game and the zerg well........... im sure you get my point.

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont mean this to be rude in any way but

Starcraft = game

game = fun

Blasting from space or wiping out a planet from space = not fun

6. paragon

paragon Guest

Basically this would be like call down abilities or tactical aid. These are fine in other games. Not StarCraft.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, in starcraft you should always be able to counter/stop attacks. like the nuke. In games like Generals, where the nukes are unstoppable, it gets boring. The chance to actually kill the Ghost is balanced. And Siege Tanks can be countered by air. But Orbital Bombardment is really cowardly.

8. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

Threads that compare today's technology to Terrans in Starcraft make me want to strangle people.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Lol maybe that reaction is because you are a killer?

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Orbital bombardment does sound cool. If it is done though it should probably work like a superweapon in C&C where you can only fire it after several minutes that gives a counter if it is tied to a building. It would also be a good way to end the monotony of long games with dug in forces because it would force you to come out of your defenses to kill the building and if you are the one who built it then it would allow you to break into an enemy base and deliver that deathblow.

What would the zerg do though?

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Its NOT a good with that kind of things! The attack itself must be countered, not a building (he could surround it with 12 siege tanks and 12 vikings or even hide it)! The nuke can be countered by killing the Ghost. And, This orbital bombardment would be just like the nuke! I mean, most of you did not want terran and zerg to have super units when the mothership was one! Why do you want all races to have the Terran "superunit"? Its what makes them unic.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It is still something to consider for long games. Superweapons generaly aren't used unless the game has been going on for a long while. They aren't the end all.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Mothership was considered for long games too(maybe still) do you want every race to have a mothership too?

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I have nothing wrong with a superunit as long as it can't take on the map all by its lonesome.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

we already have the nuke, which is essentially the same as space bombardment

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i just said that

17. Sikhye23

Sikhye23 Guest

space bombardments? what a horrible idea, you might as well rename the medic the apothecary, or give the marine a chainsaw. the reaper and the drop pods are enough ... (warhammer 40k sucked. and ripped off of sc.)

anyways, long games require strategies and good management to win, not super weapons.

18. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Space bombardment...who would use it? Would the protoss use it to destroy the things they are trying to protect? Would the terran use it to try and destroy what they are trying to take? Space bombardment is messy! Sure, you can kill the enemy with it, but you're killing the planet (or at least a large part of it) to. As well as any artifacts/teck your trying to aquire. The terran are running out of habitable plantets, the protoss are running out of fleets, and the zerg don't need to use bombardment in the first place. Plus it would be risky. I see no reason why the terran couldn't launch nukes up, and the protoss ships are more than able to ascend into space (as are the zerg flyers). Furthermore, if your already so in control of the situation the ships can be used safely, why not just finish the enemy?

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Perhaps because some people are annoying sadists that wants to totally annihilate his foe
    in one strike for the "rush" he feels.

20. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

It was great in Dawn of War... but this is not dawn of war.

Also: since the capital ships of the protoss and terrans are playable on the battlefield, how would orbital bombardment work in the game? You can use the ships that would be bombarding the planet unless they have some super capital ships we don't know of in orbit? (<--- doubtful).