Some Help Please?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Frosty, Nov 28, 2007.

Some Help Please?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Frosty, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    I have been thinking about getting a new computer and want some advice before buy some useless piece of crap. I was thinking about a laptop or a gaming computer but I'm not sure.

2. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Re: some help please

If you want to use it for games, better don't buy laptop

3. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.

whats wrong with the laptop for games??

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

They often don't come with a video card. Just make sure of what you're buying and buy something with a video card, although they're tough to find.

Your best bet for that kind of customization is Dell, although HP has been giving them a run for their money in quality and customer service.

Right now the best laptop to buy for value would be an HP, but Dell might offer you a little more versatility.

Let me know exactly what you're looking for and I can give you a price estimate of what you would need and maybe some specs that would help you out. You could also tell me how much you're willing to spend. :D

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    When you are talking about a gaming computer, how good should it be?
    Good enought to run sc2?
    Good enought to have aorund the highest setting in sc2?

Because if you want a realy good one, you cant get it as a laptop (to sucky)

6. Light

Light Guest

Meh, I use a Dell laptop

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    no video card, even if there is one they are more likely to not be supported by games (Damn you Ubisoft!), and they're more likely to overheat (though that may just be me)

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What games are you planning on playing and does it have to be shipped as a unit or are you comfortable with buying all the pieces seperateley and putting it together yourself (that includes installing Windows yourself BTW)

9. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

..assuming he doesn't want a Mac.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Macs are easy though.

They are all made by the same people so not as many options/things to worry about

Besides he said he wanted it for gaming.  Macs suck for gaming because noone makes games for them unles he wants to install windows on it

11. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    You can install windows in Mac, it's possible but i haven't tried it myself

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

13. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I don't really see the logic for buying an expensive computer and then going and buying an expensive operating system to stick on top of it. I mean, yes I know someone that does this, but this really is an option reserved for the richest, most hardcore Mac fanboys out there.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The only reason I can think of for installing windows on a Mac was if you wanted an all-in-one system but most people don't really care about that all to much

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Okay... here's where we go all crazy on the Mac brand.

For all the Magna Cum Crappy that comes out of Apple's mouth about the amazingness of its Operating System, it still sucks compared to Linux.

I--as well as just about any savvy computer geek out there--know that Linux is the best Operating System, hands down. It's got an efficient GUI, runs on hardly any system memory, and it's so chaste that it won't ever take advantage of your system resources without your explicit permission.

Windows and OSX, etc. have always had this problem with privacy as well as cost. They sneak your information out under your nose for purposes of "bettering service." We all know this means in the name of providing numbers for advertisement purposes. :D

The best programs are free.

Windows : $199-699 Mac OSX : $150+ Linux: FREE!!!!!

Linux gave us Firefox and its associated programs, and has the same spirit behind it as Google, two of the most prominent innovations in internet browsing in the last 5 years. You don't search stuff, you "google" it.

So now that we've debunked this "our software is the best" crap, let's move on to the Hardware, the last refuge of the Mac enthusiast. For years Apple was proud to say that it boasted quality hardware. But their machines have also historically cost 300-400 more than a traditional PC of equivalent power. But now, Apple has made the switch to Intel chips, effectively making their systems exactly the same as all the others on the market.

Sure, the BIOS are slightly different, but that hardly has any bearing at all becuase they can now be edited. In fact, one of the major challenges now facing Apple is keeping the world's millions of hackers from cracking their OS, or their BIOS, and keeping Windows off their machines. Not gonna happen.

So you see, Macs are still more expensive than a traditional PC, but they have no advantage.

Buy an HP, your money will be better spent. :D Then put Linux on it. You now have a super-computer. ;)

16. Rex

Rex New Member

Dell XPS Laptop does that support games, I mean good for games? Anyways Mac's commercials make fun of PC or how complicated PC is but how, Mac is crap I still don't know how they are making money and who buys them WHATS THEIR PURPOSE!. Anyways I have a question so for gaming would a Windows Media Edition be good? or a Dell XPS be better. In my view they are both expensive.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The XPS is marketed as a gaming PC yes but to me it seems a tad to pricey and most of that high end stuff is so new 3 programs can actually utilize the features of it. You can get a really good gaming PC by choosing a decent Inspiron and then beefing up the CPU memory and Video card.

18. Rex

Rex New Member

What about Ram? (I hate ram caused me so much trouble and lag)

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Get at least 2 GB but it would be best if you go with 4 if you can

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Okay so we got a Dell XPS M1530 notebook:

SYSTEM COLOR Tuxedo Black edit
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition edit
    LCD AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera edit
    MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) edit
    HARD DRIVE Speed: 120GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) edit
    VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT edit
    WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next -Gen Wireless -N Mini -card edit
    BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
    SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

This one runs $1,574 with these addons. Not too bad for what I would consider a pretty high-end gaming computer, with the exception of the RAM. In fact, I would upgrade to 3 GB and then consider replacing one of the chips to put you up to 4 GB at a later date. So that would up another $175 to $1,724 total. But considering that's a pretty nice PC, I wouldn't complain. The only thing you're missing here is a Blu-Ray player (you can upgrade to that, but it's $500 stock) and you can just download HD movies instead. HEE HEE ;)

Now we have an HP model: dv9500t

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) edit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) edit
    Display 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900) edit
    Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
    Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS edit
    Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone edit
    Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM) edit
    Hard Drive 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
    Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!! edit
    TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control edit
    Primary Battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
    Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

This one actually comes with a larger screen, 17", although I would actually prefer a smaller screen, and it would save you money. But already you can tell the difference in price. This model with these additions will run you $1,474. That's $100 less than Dell for the exact same configuration. You will still have the option of upgrading the RAM. It also has a couple freebies thrown in like an upgraded audio card and an upgraded DVD drive, etc... to sweeten the deal. Not to mention the size of the screen, if that's a plus for you.

I'm not even gonna bother showing you Mac because they're outrageously expensive. A model of similar quality from Apple will run you nearly $2,500. But these are some good models here and I would recommend them for an SC2 player. Enough RAM, although you could use more, but that's always upgradeable when it gets cheaper, and the video card is outstanding. :D

EDIT: Also, don't worry about upgrading your Operating System. You can always do that yourself for little to nothing on the internet and they're not worth it. You can also come up with Microsoft Office and other great software without paying their outrageous prices. :D

Also, you might want to check out the thread I made a few months ago (which has been validated a bit by Blizzard's announcement that the video card requirement will indeed be 128 MB):

Starcraft 2 System Requirements