so you want darker and grittier terran.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

so you want darker and grittier terran.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jan 4, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i improvised the look of the original pic of some terran units to make it look realistic.

http://larcenciel-11.deviantart.com/art/darker-and-grittier-73750178

see the difference, the original looks more toyish and plastic. the second pic looks more grittier and you can see the rusty effect on the metal of the thor and realistic look of the unit because of the darker color.
    ???

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Theres a whole big thread on this but nice job anyway.

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

just realised, the thor looks just like transformer armada doll

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Hey, that's actually pretty cool looking....I really like the yellow Thor, and that's with me despising the color yellow.

However, I see one problem. The mapsets themselves are rather dark and gritty. I can foresee problems actually finding the units.

5. Inpox

Inpox New Member

i like the units just as they are now but i really liked the darker yellow ghost, nice work on him!

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

see, the thing is, its a matter of brightness not design in your case, they need to make actual changes to some models, not just dim them down.

7. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

I think it looks amazing, the ghost in particular.

8. SuccaMC

SuccaMC New Member

Death Star
    Dude, those are pretty sweet. Lets bring this to battle.net forums.

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thanks.

no i just made it because most say that the team color looks to bright and makes the units etc look more plastic and toyish. so i made it darker.

so about the actual changes, well thats a different story. its up to blizzard. but IMO i think the terran unit design or models looks 100x better than the orignal.

btw, if the team color is darkened then the environment i tihnk also must be darkened.

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Well, from what I see, what you changed was brightness, at least, fundementally. The units will actually look "gritty," as you're having it on Twilight and Space Platform. They'll look "toyish" on Desert and Snow, and all of the rest of the well-lit tilesets.

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think the terran's metal should be a little yellowish or brownish to create that rusty grittier effect like the yellow (darker) thor in the pic. and darkened or blacken some of the metals.

but anyway IMO only darker team color is what really is needed. no need to go overboard or it would just mess up the terran's look.

12. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

If you're gonna say that the Terran need to look grittier because they may not have enough money to build shiny new buildings, tihnk about it. Protoss are going through the same thing. WHy would they have shiny new collosi? Don't see anyone saying the toss are too "shiny" or "bright" or "colorful."

So why do the terran need to be grittier?

13. needler

needler New Member

Because it looks better and it fits Terrans. They don't have time to make details and bling to their tanks. Protoss warp their units when they are already built, so they can have shiny colossi.

14. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

From where do the shiny units come form? Do they have an unlimited storage of collosi? WOuldn't they have to make them, then warp them?

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

you know what, actually im against this MORE gritty look for the terran. in most thread on this and other sc2 forums, i keep on debating that the terran doesn't need to look over the top gritty dirty etc. i like the look of the current terran, makes them look very powerful and high tech which sc2 needs to be.
    i just made this to get an example in case blizzard will make the terran more darker and grittier, i dont want them to go overboard so im hoping they will make changes similar to what i did if possible. i dont want them to mess up the look of the terran overall just because some old "dont want to change terran fans" want that look.
    i think majority of the fans either doesn't care or like the look of the current terran. those who want it to be more realistic, dark, gritty are FEW. check out the threads, you get tens of thousands of views on an artistic discussion topic and yet the total post is like only 100 +, and most posts are from reapeted users.
    i think the artistic design of the terran or sc2 overall STANDS OUT compared to all other "realistic" rts like supreme commander, cnc3, warhammer40k... <- gets pretty boring after playing awhile.
    and it does NOT look like warcraft 3! even if it does, warcraft is a great game, gameplay and visually. =p

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    zeratul11, I am making a poll right now, to find out the truth.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

truth about what?

check out your terran toys gasmaskguy... doesn't it look like darker and grittier enough for you? i like it, the artistic design and feel of it make the units stand out and have life, unlike most realistic rts units.

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Gritty-Terran supporters being few.

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ahh. that is kinda bias, most people who doesn't care and who like the current look of the terran DOES NOT even bother to post or maybe even vote. i dont know why but i can feel it. lol. no really.

hey no need to do that. im sure many will vote that it needs more grit etc.. but its not exactly precise. so please dont. it will not go anywhere.

and when i said few. it means few compared to the ones who either does'nt care or likes it. so if 10,000(very old fans) voted more gritty terran im sure 100,000 dont care and likes the new terran (still old fans, maybe pro gamers too(which if im not mistaken and read that they like the look of sc2 well that would include the new terran), blizz staff for sure and newer fans like my brother and 16 and below ages friends). xp

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    If they don't bother to vote, the clearly don't care about the new look enough.

Yeah, it's too bad that you're the only one who can feel it. Srsly, there's just as many people who wants them to look gritty that don't bother to vote as there are people that want them to look shiny but don't bother to vote.

You don't want me to create that poll because so many people will vote for gritty, which you don't want them to do?...

The poll will show an imprecise result? You mean that it will show a result you don't want to see.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

I think that you should respect what other people vote for and not consider it the "wrong answer" .
    The vote from a person that want Terrans to look more gritty is worth just as much as your vote, and I can guarantee you that the poll will show the public opinion and nothing else. Maybe you should accept that more people want them to simply look gritty? They're not blind, or misguided some how. They fully know what they are voting for, and what the options are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.