So I'm off to college..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Dylan 22, Jun 5, 2010.

So I'm off to college..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Dylan 22, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Dylan 22

Dylan 22 Guest

..And im computer illiterate. My problem is of course that I'd like your guys's input on getting a laptop that can run SC2 fine, and obviously doesn't cost a terrible much (my price range is around $800, but the cheaper the better of course!) I've already found this one on new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157117 but i don't know what any of those specs mean (lol) just read the review and figured it would be an alright buy..anyways..any help is appreciated. :D

Thanks for your time.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

K, quick rundown.

Processor: Brain of the computer. Does all the crunching. More Ghz=Better. More cores usually=better.
    RAM: Short term memory. Allows more things to run concurrently, and with less leg. More=better
    Hard drive: Long term memory. More=better. You also wanna look at the RPMs. That's how fast it spins. Faster spin=less loading times.
    Video card: What draws the pictures. More Mb (Gb) = better.

Therein lies the problem. You got two kinds. Dedicated and integrated. Integrated is usually no good, and, unfortunately, that's what most laptops have.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

discreet graphics on laptops also tend to drain more power even at idle. in general, gaming laptops won't have much battery life... if you're planning on taking it to class for typing up notes... make sure you sit near plugs.

normally i don't recommend alienware, but their lowest-end notebook (m11x) is actually a pretty good deal as far as gaming laptops go. the screen is small (11.6") but the video card is relatively powerful so you should be able to run SC2 on medium-high at its native resolution. battery life is pretty good considering it has a discreet video card.

the laptop you picked, unfortunately, won't be able to run SC2 at all. the best you'll be doing is watching SC2 replays on youtube.

4. Dylan 22

Dylan 22 Guest

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Seems as though I'm going to have to shell out some more cash. Ah well. Do you guys happen to recommend any certain brand deal or is that not a giant deal?