So I'm getting a desktop

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Fenix, Sep 25, 2008.

So I'm getting a desktop

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Fenix, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

And I need some advice.

I need it to be strong, cause I game, but not like....Voodoo strong or anything.

So far, I've been looking at the XPS 420 (Dell) with some upgrades to the original specs

Sooo....Any suggestions? My price range is 1k-1.3k(USD). Dell is a plus cause they're having a sale and my dad gets an imba discount through his work.

2. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    What about this PC?
    $1,350 CAD sooo it would be around $1,290 /w Tax USD
    Plus that order can have upgradeable parts. and parts you dont want in the order

http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=A19DBC3A-6C76-4D47-B760F23591B11796-2069319

AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core Processor Socket AM2 2.2GHZ 4MB Cache 95W
    as the Processor LOL damn...

The ram that comes with the computer should be upgraded asap too =/ but its cheap corsair 5-5-5-18 stuff... it has splash damage too!! when u smash it with a rock and get the gold plated kingston ram lol

But dont dells have a tendency/history to overheat tho? I know the little compaqs do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I've used Dell in the past and never had an issue with overheating tbh. My oooooold desktop did every once in a while, but it was like a 1.5 with 512 RAM, so....

My Dell laptops never did though (Inspiron 1100 and Inspiron e1505). I dunno why everyone's all Blah Dell, I've never had major issues.

As for the computer you posted....It's nice, but with the same config as the Dell, it's about 300$ more, not to mention shipping and handling.

4. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    Ahh yeah. i looked up the X 420 dell comp that u listed and yeah its pretty much the same. didnt really take a look into it lol. juss tryed to help out :p

And i dont know the CAD to USD conversion me bein Canadian and all ><

But... forgot to mention that site has a Build a PC option soo if you could somehow link peices together to make it like the dell there might be a chance you can get one cheaper. But ionno havnt used it in a while.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
  6. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    i payed 1,600 for my PC a year and a bit ago.. and this $700 PC is like a little weaker than mine lol Wow.. prices has majorly dropped in the last year.

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I'm working on a dell and CorelDraw randomly crashes on it (haven't happend on anything else, happens all the time on Dell). Installing drivers after format is a real pain, especially since the CD with drivers doesn't have everything necessary.

No idea about gaming though and since you didn't have any problems with Dell so far, then why fix it if it works.

8. Xeon-Genesis

Xeon-Genesis Guest

laptops are better! smaller and very convienient

9. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC

Not really >.> Some are good.. but no

10. Xeon-Genesis

Xeon-Genesis Guest

Well... ive seen some laptops outperform PCs

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

@Jon - I'm lazy, I want a prebuilt one, money isn't much of an object and I'm lazy/scared I'll screw it up

@Meee - That's why you get an external. I remformat my PC about every 2-3 months, and just restore my data and my drivers, no worries

@Xeon - I have a laptop. I want to be able to use it as a laptop, not linked into my media center

12. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Also outprice them by far I assume?
    I wouldn't recommend laptop if you don't plan on making much use of it's mobility.

EDIT: That was to Xeon ofcourse

13. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    Maybe for game editing or movie editing... Perhaps not gaming in general

Yeah price does affect this aswell.

Stationary home or game play.. why get a laptop lol.. plus i like putting my coffee and pop ontop of my PC tower :p XD cant do that on my laptop

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Dude. Seriously. Stop the double posting, k? There's an edit function, please use it.

Anyway, yeah. I already got a sweet setup and stuff, but it's hella hard to set up, so I don't like unhooking my laptop from it, so my laptop sits on my desk

15. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    IM sorry im not forums much, i fixed all my other posts aswell. so i will not do it any more.

U got a screenie or a pic of your setup?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  16. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Not right now, I'm at work, but here's a rough idea.

I've got a regular sized desk with drawers on on side. The back is full, and has a minishelf on the bottom. On the desk, I have my laptop centered in the sitting portion. Over the drawers on the right, I have my mouse+pad, a numpad, various other USB devices. On each side of the desk, I have full sized speakers. My laptop itself is hooked into my stereo, with a woofer on the ground under the drawers. My ex-drive is on the left against the wall. All my various doodads (Batteries for the mice, CD's+Cases, games) are on the shelf underneath. I also have about seven mugs sitting on the desk, speakers, and around my feet at any given time (USB powered drink warmer FTFW).

Sooo....To remove my laptop, I have to unplug literally every port except for the S-Vid, VGA, and ethernet.

17. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    Omg i hate you... Gimmie! lol

Yeah thats not a bad set-up. Mines a bit.. weird I got a L Corner Desk with a 3 footlong.. 2 foot high Sub box on the right with random boxes to the left of the desk.. PC sideways on the bottom tray with the monitor in the middle... and.. random stupid crap on every drawer, shelf, and ledge u can think of... and my GF's stuff mixed in lol. ill get a pic when im outa college today.

edit: GG for Quote not working...?

18. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    yeah my new Dell laptop pwns my x386....

Seriously.... you are so wrong.

19. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

ANYways, I'm probably gonna order this when I get him. I leave work in an hour and twenty, takes me 30 mins....Soooo in about 2.5 hours.

20. ArchaicDrago

ArchaicDrago Member

Vernon BC
    Lol PCS > LTops
    But ionno Xeon is right on a few things.. some laptops are godly i admit.. But like 2 months later a PC comes out and destroys it in every aspect except size.

And how did u do the quote? the basic dont work? HTML must be off or sumthing :(

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008