So I get asked a lot

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jul 4, 2010.

So I get asked a lot

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

What the best anti virus software is for home users. They always give different opinions, and want to know which one is the clear cut best. Which its hard to say really, and you can't trust the AV makers them selves they dilute many of the results through advertisement. So I always point to av-comparatives.org a non profit Austrian organization which tests and rates the industries AV software. They give detailed reports including the methods of their testing which give such detail you could even use them as a guide to test the software your self in a similar manner. By all means if you ever ask the question which AV software is the best go there. Check for your self.

And plzzzz stop asking me this question.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Wait, who asks you this question anyways?

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Yes, really. Free for any legit (and good non-legit >.>) MS PC, on par with paid services, and hella lightweight. I can game while it's running with only a bit of lag.

4. asdf

asdf New Member

i usually go with this

recommendations:
    Avast!
    AVG
    microsoft security
    - they aren't the absolute best, but they are free. actually, microsoft might actually be the best.

non-recommendations:
    Norton
    McAfee
    - they cost money and they perform equal or worse than the free options.

5. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Actually.. Norton scored higher then Avast and AVG. Norton in almost all the tests came out in the top 3.

6. asdf

asdf New Member

i'm looking at their latest comparative retrospective/proactive test... norton tied with AVG and Avast, while mcafee scored lower. they caught a lot but at the same time flagged many false positives.

i know there are even worse AV's out there that you have to pay for, but norton and mcafee get the most prominent placement on store shelves.

7. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

On detecting new malware

AVG 34%

Avast 29%

Mcafee 38%

Symantec 43%

AVG and Avast did rather well on this test, but when comparing them in the dynamic test which compares the whole product.

Threats Blocked

Symantec 99 out of 100

Avast 96 out of 100

AVG 88 out of 100

also looking at the results when it comes to removing malware from your computer symantec scored higher then both AVG and Avast.

I usually go for kaspersky for my security, but they can be expensive. They scored high on all the tests.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. asdf

asdf New Member

but they also flag false positives more often. eliminating safe files from your system when they mis-identify them can cause problems as well, which is why the overall rating given by av-comparatives ended up being equal to the free ones for symantec, and lower for mcafee.

9. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

True when comparing their free versions, but when comparing their paid for versions you can see the difference. I don't like comparing these free AV's because they don't put as much in them. They are more teasers then anything else to encourage you to buy their full product.

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Sources? I'm interested in seeing these stats.

11. asdf

asdf New Member

12. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

The dynamic is what i am looking at because its a test of the over all program and its features. I also looked at their removal tests and so far symantec is one of the top. All though none of the programs were exceptional they were on of the few that scored highest.