Snipers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

Snipers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Code X Red

Code X Red New Member

Wouldn't it be awesome to have terran snipers? The possibilities could be vast, snipers could have the ability to see cloaked units/structures and attack from vast distances. The sniper could have limited health, balanced by uncomparable firepower for a basic unit? What do you think?

2. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

well, ghosts are sort of snipers, but not quite. for a sniper to work, there would be a long period of time before each fire. at least 3-5 seconds. and for it to be worth the wait, the shot should deal a great amount of damage. that's an awesome idea!

3. CrisisDarkerXIV

CrisisDarkerXIV New Member

Well, one problem is, it'll take away most of the use of old detector units. Is the sniper gonna be cloaked too? Because that would be a no-no.

4. Code X Red

Code X Red New Member

I thought the sniper should have to be deployed even after being trained at the barracks. What I mean by this, is while the sniper moves it is most vulnerable, health states drop. While moving the sniper would be uncloaked until deployed agian. While deployed the sniper would be cloaked but when fireing, uncloaked. This would give the opponent a chance to strike back later.

5. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

naw naw. i just want a really long range infantry unit.

6. Shockwave

Shockwave New Member

How about forget the cloak idea. This is what i have in mind.

1) The sniper is trained at the barracks.
    2) When the sniper is standing up, he has limited or no attack.
    3) When an enemy is in sight, you have the "prone" button [to lie down, aiming the gun].
    4) The sniper shoots, 100% chance of hitting the target/ doing damage if the target is static, 50-70% chance of hitting if the target is moving (or, still 100% chance of hitting the moving target, but less damage dealt).
    5) Once target is eliminated, the sniper stands up to be deployed in another area.

The sniper would be great for taking out those zergling rushes, also great for weakening zealot shields as they are appoaching the base.

Taking in what Code Red X said, the sniper should be highly vulnerable when standing.

7. T-man

T-man New Member

There was talk in another thread of giving the Ghost a chance-to-headshot on infantry. As in, the Ghost would have a certain percent chance of one-shotting any Zerglings, Hydras, Zealots, Marines, Firebats, Medics, etc. but would still do normal concussion damage to mech/flying.

8. wolfblood

wolfblood New Member

lol id like to see somebody oneshot a goliath, and if you played dawn of war, those snipers might work?

9. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

For a unit that sounds so simple to create, I am sure the process would be complicated. You would have to take into account several aspects such as vision, range control, and other things usually associated with snipers. How will the sniper be a sniper if he can not see? Will his vision range be extremely high? Would he be seen after shooting an enemy (revealed in the fog of war? Because I certainly would not want to have my units being chipped away without my prior knowledge.) Would a sniper attack trigger the ever so insightful "Your forces are under attack!" message? What about his attack range and how much of it can he dominate? Would a group of snipers placed in just the right nooks and crannies control the flow of the game? If Blizzard somehow found a solution to all these issues, I still think that if a Terran Sniper is made possible, it would seriously off set the delicate balance of game play. Look at this possible scenario:

- - - - - - - - - -
    POSSIBLE SCENARIO: Sniper Team on Resource Watch
    A smart player decides to place a few snipers just in range (and well hidden) of an enemies resource gatherers (probes, SCVs, or drones) The snipers pick away at the workers wreaking havoc on the enemy economy, but the player who controls the workers is unaware of the apparent doom of his entire work force.
    - - - - - - - - - -

A group of snipers is going to be hell and I sure as hell would not like cheap units with superior attack ranges be knocking on my expensive ones. I am going to have to say that I do not support the use of Snipers in StarCraft 2. Though the idea is a good one. :thumbup:

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I think that was me =D

Anyway, my idea on the sniper was this:

1. Range much of that like siege tanks, this means it also has minumum range.
    2. Massive sight range. (with upgrade)
    3. Produced in barracks
    4. Headshot chance of 5% (increased to 10%) only works on medium sized biological.
    5. Will have to enter a "Hide" position to fire.
    6. Will have farther sight in high ground
    7.Will not be called sniper, (make it something like Dead-Eye, to give it that blizz touch)

11. thitian

thitian New Member

then u put 4 snipers in a bunker and let them shoot 3 times and bang a fleet of mutas is gone...
    (well it doesnt make sense if it can only hit ground units)
    am i the only one who thinks the last thing terran needs is another freaking strong ground unit-_-

12. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

well if you wanna compete for bragging rights! i mentioned it before you, problem is i was half-joking around involving fps doug -______-
    but snipers would be nice. actually would be great if they replace terran ground detectors since a huge wave of strategies would revolve so nicely and action/tension-packed around the sniper. such a valuable unit so vulnerable

13. paragon

paragon Guest

Ghost is a sniper... they don't need another sniper and they don't need a unit with a ridiculous range.

14. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

it must be the dumbest sniper ever to exist.....

EDIT:
    Dx

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

xD

16. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Well as I meantioned in another thread, ghosts arent really damage dealers like snipers should be, maybe they will make the ghosts better snipers in SC2?

17. paragon

paragon Guest

Sure give them head shot like some other people in this thread said.

18. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Ghosts are not snipers. They're Black Ops units. They only semblance they have to a sniper is their ability to hide and attack in plain sight (Cloaked of course).

The Terran Army needs a sniper unit, but what all-y'all are describing is a Siege Tanks in human form. You have the "Prone" command, which is almost exactly like the "Siege Mode" command. You have a 3-5 second cooldown. The sight range and 1-Hit-Kill chance are good. Throw out the rest.

19. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Nicely defined and yes.

20. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Right now, this is what I'm thinking.

Terran Assassin.
    Range of Siege Mode.
    Passive Camo. IE, it doesn't cloak, but when standing still, it's harder for the player to see it.
    5% 1-Hit-Kill, upgradeable to 10%, gains a 5% bonus when on high ground
    Trained at Barracks, Covert Ops required, similar to a Ghost.
    Large mineral cost, middle gas cost.
    Penetrating damage or the SC equivalent.
    High damage, bonus from high ground.
    Must stop and aim for two (Debatable) seconds before firing.
    1 second cooldown, meaning if the first shot does not kill the target, the Assassin does not have to re-aim.
    Low health, maybe equivalent to Ghost's.
    Low armor.
    Middle to high move speed, as it has nothing to carry but a gun.

All of this is liable to change, but right now, this is what I'm thinking.

EDIT: 1-Hit-Kill also goes for mech units. In the Terran sense, there's someone driving. Take out the driver, and the vehicle is useless. With the Protoss, same with the Immortal, Stalker, air units, and possibly the Colossus.With the pure robotic units, there has to be a central control system. Take that out....
    Maybe half the percentage of the chance?

EDIT 2: On the passive camo, enemy units still auto acquire, but need a 2 point closer range.