Slowness... Lagy =P

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Rex, Mar 3, 2009.

Slowness... Lagy =P

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Rex, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Rex

Rex New Member

Hey guys I've been using my computer recently and its been laggy (Like extremely laggy). When I use vent it says my ping is about AT LEAST 1000 or more. Even when I run other thing it started to lag, so I decided to restore my computer to factory condition but it didn't really seem to help.

Anyways any suggestions? Btw I saw this new process that came up in task manager in the processes tab dwm.exe and it uses a lot of memory.

2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Have you defragmented your computer recently? Computers tend to lag a bit unles you do it every 6 months~1 year.

If that isn't the problem, try scanning with some antivirus software. Adaware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy work very well and they're free to download.

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Viiiiiiirus

Stop DL'ing pr0n.

4. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is the compositing window manager that gives you all those pretty effects in Windows Vista: Transparent windows, live taskbar thumbnails (that you can resize now), and even the Flip3D switcher that you can disable and replace with Switcher.

It seems that you should give us yours specs, also try to switch to Vista Basic and see if its the graphical aspect that is lagging your comp D:

5. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    IT could also be memory problems, it could be many things: need to defrag, not enough memory, parts going old, spyware, viruses.

6. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I use Avira, works really well for anti-virus. BTW some antivirus programs can slow down your computer, A LOT.

How old is your computer?

7. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    Well if it was a AV, he would have known since he has checked task manager :)

8. Rex

Rex New Member

Uhh Thanks guys but no

I just tried doing Factory Restore it didn't work. Right now my system idle process its taking up a lot, same with msn... and ventrilo o_O Also a huge spam of SVChost in the processes D= Its horrible

Also anyone have any idea what destructive restore is?

Edit: Whats Defrag?

9. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    defrag is when you organize your hard drive basically. a hard drive is made up of sectors. every time you delete something is leave a sector blank. and when you install something it fills in in those sectors. so what I'm trying to say it. let's say we have our sectors [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []. then we fill up those sectors [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [] []. you then delete a program [l] [l] [] [] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [] [], afterward you install something or download a file, [l] [l] [0] [0] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [0] [0]. When your computer goes to looked for that file now, it has to scan all that area to find the whole file and run it, causing your computer to slow down. defraging will take that and turn it into [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [l] [0] [0] [0] [0]. kinda lengthy but i hope this helps you understand what defraging is and does.

10. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    It just pretty much moves files in your hard drive so your computer can find it faster, causing it to run faster. Since you wiped HD clean, wouldn't make sense to do one right now. We really need specs of comp as well -.-

11. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

SCVhost isn't a virus. It's basically a generic running host Windows uses to run background stuff. For instance, one of them is going to be your sound card, one is going to be your resolution.

13. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Sometimes though worms or more dangerous viruses can become intertwined with scvhost. I got hit hard by a worm last month that tricked my computer into thinking it was a needed system file and I found it by looking into exactly what was inside each of my svchosts. It was a pain to remove it, but in the end I got it.

14. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    I think I may have a nasty virus at the moment, or think I do, since for 2 weeks my computer had been crashing every 4 hours, and then the time it would crash would slowly go down. My dad suggested a scan disk, I did that, it fixed it. But the weird thing is, that yesterday it crashed 4 hours after I turned it on, but now it hasnt done it again?

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

That's actually something called "Windows"

16. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    You know you have be more specefic, did you get a blue screen of death or another type of crash? O.O

17. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    The blue screen of death isn't limited to windows anymore. It can also be found on the latest version of mac os. whatever it is, i hate macs so i stay away from them, but my friend denton loves them and told me about that.

18. TiNK[E]

TiNK[E] New Member

in a glass case of emotion
    If your experiencing large latency when using vent for example. Check your task manager and how much your system utilizes while your on vent since connection time and ping have alot to do with your processor speed. If you processor is capable.. yet you are lagging.. then my guess would be something in the background is running that is undesirable and I would google every process in your task manager to see what running in your system. This would be the first steps to fixing IMO.

Defrag is a good idea.. but my opinion is it will not fix your latency issue.

System specs would help a blind eye

19. DotGet

DotGet New Member

Haha. 1000ms I think is 1 second. Can you imagine actually playing out a game like that? Oh wait... Starcraft/BNet.

I'd think it has to do with a virus using your computer as a slave OR spyware constantly relaying in and out information. Get AVG Free and Advanced SystemCare, run them both (ASC has alot of peripherals). If the problem persists you may have to reinstall windows. Before doing that though, I believe Microsoft hosts a scanner that runs remotely to detect the health of windows and attempt to fix it up. I forget what it's called but you could probably find it with a little searching.

After getting the problem fixed, if you don't already, make sure you have an antivirus (such as AVG) doing a scan - at the very least - once every 3 days. I do one once a day. It will run automatically at a set time so if there's a time of day you're not around just set it to scan then. And ASC doesn't take nearly as long to run so doing it every day shouldn't be a problem. It does registry fixing, minor defragmentation, spyware removal, junk file removal, startup adjusting, memory free-ing, etc. Very nifty, and pretty quick. Usually takes me a little under 2 minutes to run all of the peripherals.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  20. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I don't trust avg, every time I use it my computer shortly afterwards get's a bad virus and avg can't clean it out and my whole computer crashes.