Slow Computer Speed

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by ninerman13, Jun 30, 2008.

Slow Computer Speed

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by ninerman13, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

So over the past year or so, my computer has been getting slow. It's a PC, so that's not entirely unexpected. However, lately it's started to become almost inoperable. When I boot up, CPU usage is at 100%. It'll calm down for a little while, but as soon as I open any program it shoots back up to 100%. I can use most programs (like Word, games, etc.) without too much trouble, as the CPU will calm down again, but surfing the internet has become a crawl. When using Firefox (also Internet Explorer), the CPU stays at 100% and it takes forever to do anything. The computer has also started to take forever to boot up AND shut down.

At first I thought it could be overheating, since the laptop does get a little hot - but the slowness happens at times when I've freshly booted up the computer (when it's not hot yet). Not to mention that it never will turn itself off (a common symptom of overheating).

Here is a list of things I have tried, alas to no avail:

1) Virus scans and spyware scans have turned up nothing.
    2) Disabling unnecessary startup programs had no effect.
    3) Defragmenter and disk-check are up-to-date, and I run CCleaner regularly.
    4) I have reinstalled Windows XP completely (without a total format).
    5) Programs taking up CPU are normal, essential ones (System Idle Process, Explorer, Firefox, McAfee, etc.).

Any PC-savvy guys or gals out there who've got any other ideas? At this point I guess all that's left to try is a total format, but I'd prefer to try everything else first. It's a Dell Latitude D610 with Windows XP.

2. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    Try to format ur PC.. i mean total format! That should work ;). If it doesn't, maybe it's from the Hard-Disk! good luck

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Reformatting is always a good solution on Windows. Just back up all your files first and you'll be fine.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Windows does not age well.

After a few months all of the tiny programs you pick up here and there adding to the registry begin to overwhelm the system and its time for a complete wipe

5. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Yeah that's what I am going to do.

The only other thing it could possibly be is a memory leak - but I don't know how to A) see if it is and B) fix it if it is. So I am having a "geek-on-call" come by today. Then it's formatting time!

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    There are several memory checking programs out there. Try Memtest.
    Also you should check exactly which program(s) cause the 100% CPU usage.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    CPU overutilization and memory problems are different.

Is it a case of oe progrm hogging all the memory or is one program using all the memory?
    Press control+alt+escape and check the CPU and memory usage of each program.

Also check how much swap space you have.
    If the swap file is too small it causes similar problems as insufficent memory

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

When I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to see what is hogging the CPU it is unclear what exactly is causing the problem. Sorting by memory or virtual memory doesn't show anything abnormal. Sorting by CPU usage percent gives Firefox (if open), McAfee, System Idle Process, Explorer, or another normal process taking most of the memory. At one point I thought Firefox was the issue, but using Internet Explorer did not change anything.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    McAfee is on top?

Thats not right.
    Antivirus should be a background process that only bugs you when you open a funny file or if you are activeley running a virus scan

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Firefox probably shouldn't be that high on the list either. Normally internet browsers should take up only a relatively small amount of processing power. Is your antivirus database up to date? Sometimes outdated databases can let a lot of viruses through.