skill data from D3 gameplay trailer

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Ximnipot69, Jun 29, 2008.

skill data from D3 gameplay trailer

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Ximnipot69, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Ximnipot69

Ximnipot69 New Member

Huskvarna, Sweden
    When I watched the gameplay trailer for Diablo 3 I got kinda curious about the skill data and type them all down for you guys to talk about. :)

Battle Cry
    Shouts out a warning, increasing the defence of all nearby party members
    Radius: 15
    Stamina: 35
    Additional Defence: 200%
    Duration: 300 seconds

Furious Charge
    Charge directly at an enemy, smashing everything in the way.
    Current level 1
    Fury: 20
    Primary damage: 110%
    Sendondary damage: 100%
    Range: 85 feet

Hammer of the Ancients
    A massive attack that has improved chance to critically hit
    Stamina: 16
    Deals 225% weapon damage plus an additional 14 physical damage
    +25% chance to critically hit

Whirlwind
    Swirl in a cyclone, delivering attacks to everything in his path.
    Current level: 1
    Fury: 1
    Hits for 25% of weapon damage
    Next level: 2
    Fury: 1
    Hits for 30% damage

Horrify
    A spectral mask that horrifies all enemies in proximity, causing them to run in fear.
    Mana Cost: 18
    Radius: 20
    Fear Duration: 1-2 seconds
    Mask Duration: 5

Wall of Zombies
    Zombies erupt from the earth to attack your enemies.
    Current Level: 4
    Zombies attack for 15 damage.
    Next Level: 5

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
    TyReaper and Remy like this.
  2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Thanks for doing the work.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Oh sweet. Whirlwind doesn't have reduced damage when you first learn it.

4. TyReaper

TyReaper New Member

Wall of Zombies
    Zombies erupt from the earth to attack your enemies.
    Current Level: 4
    Next Level: 5

How is this a Barb talent? Barbarians aren't magically adept. How are they supposed to raise a wall of zombiez?

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Did he ever say it was a barb talent? It's a Witch Doctor talent. He's just writing them all down.

6. TyReaper

TyReaper New Member

My bad...I feel really dumb now haha.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Where in the gameplay trailer did you see this?

8. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    There's a few mouseovers during skill switches.

Probably paused and jotted 'em down.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think 25% weapon damage is the same thing as 75% reduced damage Willy.

10. Ximnipot69

Ximnipot69 New Member

Huskvarna, Sweden
    Yes, I paused at the mouseovers and copied the skill info text. That was the whole reason I bothered with DLing the big gameplay vid from Blizzard, to be able to read the text better.

As the game is still in some kinda of alpha stage we can't say much about it, but I've been thinking a bit about some of the things mensioned in the skill text. There are some things there that sounds like resources: Fury, Stamina and Mana. Will the diffrent classes have diffrent names for mana? Will the classes have their own unique resource for skill usage? What do you guys think? Is that a good or a bad idea?

11. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    If you look at the UI in the D3 gameplay demo, you can see that while the Witch Doctor has a blue mana globe like the ones we had in D1 and D2, the Barbarian's was a different color(aquamarine/turquoise). Also, if you look carefully, the Barbarian's globe recharged much faster than the Witch Doctors, which is improbable if they both had mana, since the WD is more of a caster than the Barb.

The Barbarian's recharge rate looked like it was about 500+% on 300+ mana in D2 terms, the WD had a much lower mana regen rate in the vid. It is therefore, logical to conclude that, at least the Barbarian, will have its own stat for fueling skills.

My personal guess is that the Barbarian's aquamarine globe is "Stamina." I'm not sure what "Fury" could be, but it makes no sense for the Whirlwind skill to only cost 1 of it to use. I suspect Fury to be either a secondary stat, or some type of bonus given when using certain Barb skills. My best guess is that 20 Fury from the Furious Charge skill could give it that much more attack power against a defensive stat or in overcoming an enemy's block. If you compare the two skills here that lists Fury, the single-directional Furious Charge(20 Fury) look much more likely to be able to power its way through blocking than the slicing-and-dicing Whirlwind(1 Fury).

12. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I think the barbarian was just higher level than the witch doctor. Also remember how many of the fight scenes in SC were rigged, especially units having unlimited energy (MS). The characters tore through monster really fast so I think it was staged to demonstrate different monsters and environments. As for the differing colours for the right hand side sphere, I reckon it changes colour in dark areas to make it easier to judge the amount you have left.

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    What you say does not make sense.

Then why doesn't the Life globe change to pink or orange when indoors? Red is a much darker color. The fact that Stamina and Fury are only listed on Barb skills and Mana only listed for the WD suggest that they have different stats to use for skills. The different colored right-hand globes only further support this. That's already the case in WoW, it's not too hard to imagine in D3.

The level difference also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The difference in their regen rates were HUGE, it's like a lvl 50+ Sorc with a merc equiped with Insight RW vs a lvl 15 Sorc with very budget + mana regen gear. It makes little sense for the Barb to have such a significantly higher regen rate than the WD who is a caster. Also, the Barb gets killed off by the Siegebreaker boss, yet the WD survives. I don't think the Barb was much higher in level, if at all, than the WD.

There are certain things we can put off as scripted, but I don't think the different colored globe is one of them.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    They probably have different casting systems, but I agree with kuvasz, I think the fights were rigged. But the lvl difference doesnt make sence, I agree with Remy there. But Remy the WD used spells constantsly, where the barb sometimes attacked, so perhaps it was therefore?

Edit: He died becasue he tanked constantsly.

15. kuvasz

Hungary
    If anything, that doesn't make sense.

And I don't know why it's so hard to imagine huge level differences. Have you thought about "god mode" for the client that was recorded? That would explain everything, don't you think?

16. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    What doesn't make sense? I was giving you a realistic comparison between the two mana regen rates based on Diablo 2 terms.

While it's obvious that there are bound to be some rigged elements in a gameplay demo, it is illogical to point to it to explain everything.
    - Why have mana even decrease at all if running on "god mode?"
    - If the mana regen was rigged for the Barb, why not do it for everybody?
    - It certainly doesn't explain why the globes would be a different color on the Barb and WD.

@ Furrer
    , If you watch the Siegebreaker fight again closely, the male Barb actually doesn't tank much at all. It was the female Barb that did all the tanking.

17. kuvasz

Hungary
    I'm not a diablo fanatic - I don't know all those abbreviations you used, that's why I said it's nonsense to me.

• For the same reason Protoss shields decrease in god mode. And since this was a demonstration, the more features the better. Dinamically changing orbs > full static orbs.
    • Because the barbarian was shown the longest and killed the most monsters - the game would've been boring without skills due to lack of mana (or stamina).
    • You're right in this, I just guessed something. I think making certain characters use stamina instead of mana limits the number of items they can wear effectively and further decreases their chances of useful drop. The fact that characters in D2 rely on their mana at varying degrees already separated them in terms of which items are useful to them.

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    I'm betting the Barbarians still have it labeled as Mana, and it's recharged the same way as other classes, but it gets that near-insane regen so he/she can keep dishing out the damage at a decent rate. Not to mention they get terrible mana every level up and few Energy points.