Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

1. Whatsifsowhatsit

Whatsifsowhatsit New Member

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    I don't play Terran much, but it's still interesting to me since I play against them a lot (a friend of my brother's Terran ALL the time...)..

Did anybody else notice the Siege Tanks didn't seem to have a minimum range anymore? You can see it when the Immortals are attacking them, and maybe you might see it too earlier with the Zealots, but didn't notice it there... anyway, if there is a minimum range, it's a damn close minimum range... right?

Anyway, how do you think that will change gameplay? And in what other ways do you think the Siege Tank will change?

Though I hate playing against it most of the time, I agree it was a good choice to let it in... it's one of those classic units that can be really annoying in a fun way =P and some people would freak if it was removed, ofc....

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

There was a minimum range, just the scripting was smart and spaced them so the ones in the back could target things up close to the ones in front.

3. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Are you sure? I could've sworn I saw the ones in the front fire too... will have to look again when I get the right computer available, but I'll take your word on it for now...

Anyway, the rest of the discussion still goes right?

4. Senator

Senator New Member

I'm sure there is a minimum range. Siege tanks jsut wouldn't be siege tanks without them!

If there is none, then they would be way too powerful. And they do splash damage so does that mean they will hurt themselves? I don't think so...

5. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Hmmya... I guess so =(

6. PeterPetreli

PeterPetreli Guest

Hey, no minimum range siege tanks would be cool! Or at lest, they should have a melee attack. Give them blades or something that stick out when enemy is close!

7. hellzor

hellzor New Member

Hey people, i'm new to the forum.
    It did seem like the siege tanks were shooting the immortals from a very close distance.
    Especially the final 2 tanks. Hopefully they tweak this a bit....i've always liked the idea of countering siege tanks with close combat units by exploiting the minimum range.

8. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Just looked at it again... and erhm you can't really tell if there is no minimum range, but it's at a very close distance - you can in fact see it better when the Zealots attack, you know, the failing attack, and when there's two Siege Tanks that are being attacked, and they're pretty close together, and the one shoots at the Zealots attacking the other... dunno if the distance is short compared to SC1 but... it looks close to me...

Like I said though, you can't tell if there's a minimum range at all, so there probably is.

9. PeterPetreli

PeterPetreli Guest

I just watched it again as well and was jsut about to post exactly what whatsifsowhatsit posted but he beat me to it so there you go :)

10. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Hehe... yea well hellzor beat me to it, so don't feel too bad =P

11. red_dragoon

red_dragoon New Member

Welcome aboard hellzor. Made me watch the replay again too and yep, the two guys after you were right ::)

I think melee units like zealots can't be fired at close range with siege thanks. The immortals have small range so you can't tell if there is a minimum firing distance or not.

12. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    But if there was, that would probably mean you'd have to kinda be directly against them (ie Zealots) to be inside that minimum range, from the looks of it...

13. hellzor

hellzor New Member

I like how you can kinda see the splash damage....in sc1 you had to kinda imagine it somewhat.
    This is good when the tanks are spread out and the ones at the back fire at the zealots attacking the front ones.... and the splash damage destroys the tanks...very handy.

14. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

Tanks are powerful enough in my opinion, they don't need a melee attack or no minimum range. And logically it doesn't make sense not to have a minimum range, right?

15. mc2

mc2 New Member

Tanks only have a minimum range if it's in the siege mode. once the tank is reverted back to normal mode, it can attack units right next to them.
    I think tanks should be replaced in SC2, this technology has been around since the 1900s, surely there's new & better ground military devices by the year 2504

16. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

I don't think so, I mean they are pretty damn powerful. That's like saying there should be something more technologically advanced than a nuke.

17. mc2

mc2 New Member

Yeah, when starcraft first came out, i said to myself: the protoss should have more powerful weapons then scarabs.
    if you have a look the zerg gets infested terran with 500dmg, the terran gets nukes with 500dmg. So basically the most powerful protoss weapon is scarab with 125dmg. seems very unbalanced eh??

Anyway i think blizzard made the siege tank just a notch too powerful in the 1st place.....and with protoss....they've the mothership, so its good..

18. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    I agree! Especially since I barely play Terran myself anyway... xD

Hmmm, I don't really agree with that analogy... I mean, you gotta take a look at how you get these weapons...

Once you got the Ghost, it still takes a LOT of technology to throw a Nuke, and you can only use it once, and the enemy gets a pretty good shot at stopping it...

Once you got the Queen, you still gotta get a Command Center destroyed enough to infest it, AND you can also use each Infested Terran once to do that amount of damage.

Once you got the Reaver, which also takes some technology but not too much more than the Queen and certainly no more than the Nuke, each Scarab costs only 15 minerals, and you can keep the Reaver! You can even stock them up to 5 (or 10 with the upgrade everyone gets that gets Reavers)!

'Sides, Protoss got Carriers... =P

I love the Mothership though XD

19. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    You can't think of a unit's power in terms of damage/shot alone. In fact, damage/shot is almost useless for deciding anything. You have to take into account the cooldown between attacks and the unit's average lifespan as well.
    When cooldown is taken int account, Siege Tanks are suddenly not very scary, and when life span is considered, Infested Terrans don't seem so powerful. Add to that things like hit points (Infested Terrans tend to die long before they can blow anything up when in direct fire) and tech level, and units all start looking the same. That is how balance works.
    The Protoss don't have any units that do 500 damage in one shot, but they do have plenty of units that can do 500 damage in their expected lifetime and the fact that their units do more damage over their lifetimes than units of other races.

20. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

^ You, sir, are an intelligent mammal. :D