Siege Tanks Reduced Attack Damage?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Muncie16, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Siege Tanks Reduced Attack Damage?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Muncie16, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Muncie16

Muncie16 New Member

According to the Thread "Unit Database" if I read it correctly the siege tanks long range attack will only do a base damage of 50 instead of its original 70 from starcraft.

I'm not sure about everyone else but i would have liked it to stay the same or at least maybe 60 damage but 50 thats nearly 30% of the attack taken off. I know that it has a significant extra damage VS heavly armored units or structures. but they should maybe reduce the hp of other units then to compensate.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of this.:yes:?

2. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The siege tank does better damage in StarCraft II.

It does 50 damage + 50 vs armored.

The StarCraft I siege tank did 35 damage plus 35 vs large.

3. Beat me to it Kimera757 :D

4. Muncie16

Muncie16 New Member

i dunno what you guys are smokin but it does 30 base damage then its 70 in siege mode in regular ole starcraft.

now read this. that what i'm basing my stats on.

SIEGE TANK : The Armored Support and Mobile Artillery

Health : 150
    Minerals : 200
    Gas : 150
    Built Time : 50
    Built From : Factory
    Required Building : Tech Lab
    Supply : 3
    Tank Mode Damage : 15(+3)
    Bonus : 10 VS Armor
    Range : 7
    Targets : Ground
    Siege Mode Damage : 50(+3) *does splash*
    Bonus : 50 VS Armored
    Range : 13
    Targets : Ground
    Defense : 1(+1)
    Armor Type : Armored
    Type : Mechanical
    Ability : Siege Mode
    Minerals : 150
    Gas : 150
    Research Time : 70
    Researched From : Tech Lab
    Description : Deploys the Siege Tank into Siege Mode to increase its range and damage at the cost of movement.

so it does half the amount of damage in tank mode now and does 20 less damage in siege.

5. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    They were being nice and converting from the SC1 size/attack/reduction system to the SC2 armor/attack/bonus system, to compare them on the same scale. We're all talking about Siege Mode only. Its Tank Mode damage has also been increased for SC2, but it hasn't been the subject of the discussion.

In SC1, the Siege Tank's 70 dmg is reduced by armor type. It deals "explosive" damage, meaning it only does that 70 damage to "large" units. When attacking "small" units, its attack is halved, meaning it only deals 35 damage.

SC1 "Arclite" : Explosive-type damage, [70 * 0.5 = 35] (small); [70 * 0.75 = 53] (medium); [70 * 1.0= 70] (large)

In SC2, the Siege Tank's 50 damage is increased by armor type. It gets a bonus of 50 when attacking "armored" units, meaning it deals 100 to "armored" units. When attacking other types of units, it only deals the base damage, meaning it deals 50 damage to non-"armored" units.

SC2 "Crucio" : [50 + 0 = 50] (non-armored); [50 + 50 = 100] (armored)

Kimera converted the SC1 damage type into its analog in the SC2 system.
    -35 is the damage dealt when the SC1 Siege Tank hits a "small" target, so that was taken as the "base."
    -70 is the damage dealt when it attacks a "large" target, so the difference (35) was taken as the "bonus."
    So, [70 * 1.0 = 70] converts into [35 + 35 = 70], for an attacks that allow maximum damage.

I have converted the attacks of both tanks into terms characteristic of both the SC1 damage system, and the SC2 damage system:

In SC1 Terms:

SC1 "Arclite"
    70 vs Large
    53 vs Medium
    35 vs Small

SC2 "Crucio"
    100 vs Large
    75 vs Medium
    50 vs Small

---

In SC2 Terms:

SC1 "Arclite"
    70 vs Armored
    35 vs Non-Armored

SC2 "Crucio"
    100 vs Armored
    50 vs Non-Armored

As you can see, in either system, the SC2 Siege Tank is dealing more damage than the SC1 Siege Tank, not less.

If you have any further questions about this, PM me, as I am closing the thread.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.