siege tank less effective?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by EonMaster, Oct 10, 2007.

siege tank less effective?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by EonMaster, Oct 10, 2007.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I didn't see this anywhere but if this is a copy please delete it. Thx :)

After the revealing the the protoss units, it seems that the terran siege tank will be less useful for defending the base aganst the protoss troops. The immortal makes the tank almost useless I a defensive area and destroyes them without worry.

I'm trying to find out if the terran siege tank has now become less useful with the advent of the immortal on the scene.

What do you think?

2. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well I just wanted to add on that becuase of the stalker they are even less effective. Since the stalker can blink they can reach the tank minimum range within seconds getting there pretty easy. So a group of stalkers could be even more effective than some immortals.

3. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I forgot about those. Yes the tank now seems almost useless against a veteran protoss player.

Even the colossus would prabably defeat the tank because of its large amount of HP

It seems like those poor terran defenders will need to add more units into the defence strategies

4. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well the tank is still a good defense unit, but you must have other units with it but thats a normal thing. With reapers immortals get owned, and just like marines for stalkers since they will be hurt, and if you want to fight a colossus you must just have some anti air deffense. Although the tanks are less effective agiasnt protoss you can still win if you use correct tactics right. I'm glad about this becuase now people can't just siege tank you, they will have to be tactful.

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes that was a really good creative unit they made for the protoss, i hope they have at least the same amount of creativeness for the zergs.

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

No, tanks will be far from useless, take out the immortals by Focus Firing at them with the marines, after they are dead, the tank punches just as hard, stalkers will be 2-3 shotted from tanks, yeah you may get in minimum range of 1-2 but what about the other 6?

Besides if you have marines or vikings or w/e and you're in the tank's range you're asking for a lot of ammo shot at you.

Tanks still have great range, and still deal a lot of insta damage. They are only not as good vs immortals, thats it. Immortals are 4 supply and somewhat expensive, so if the protoss masses them, you're lucky, just get marines and he just wasted a lot of resources.

If he has 3-4, just FF them with marines/vikings/reapers, and try to manage the STanks' attack to non-immortal units, more specifically stalkers or a colossus(since its a bigger,stronger unit, by the time they take him down, you shoud've managed the immortal problem).

Tanks are still great base siegers.

7. Recon

Recon New Member

ya tanks will still play the role they did in starcraft one. the only difference now is that if you have an army of tanks backed up with marines and turrets right out side your base. your not totally screwed.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    you are just useing more units that take up supply to defend your base, but then again if you dont have a base you cant make units to attack the enemies.

9. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    What I noticed was that in SC, a few tanks could defent most choke points easily beacause of thier long range. But with the addition of the immortal and stalker, their long range attack will be less effective, meaning now terran has to use more units to defend an area than they did in SC

10. Recon

Recon New Member

well i think its fine considering how powerfull the seige tanks were in the first one. like you said a few of them could easily defend choke points. add a couple bunkers and turrets and nothings getting through there. whats great about sieges being less effective is that now terran will use other methods to win. in starcraft one almost every terran player did nothing but go metal. now making tanks is good but they got other options to that will do just as good.

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Finally, terrans were hard to beat in b-net. Their defences were always near impossible to overtake without heavy losses

12. Flesh

Flesh New Member

I agree tanks will be less useful vs Protoss. Zealots are a natural counter to tanks, you always had problems with them. But at least you were sure to take out the Dragoons with your tanks and now you'll have to fight Immortals instead which are a lot harder.

Im assuming terran infantry is still useless against protoss because of the psi storm. So, if zealots go in first then your cobras and vikings cant attack immortals, they have to fight zealots cause zealots are blocking their way to immos. So by the time you're done killing zealots your cobras and vkinigs will also be dead, part from zealots part from friendly fire. So then what is left is your tanks and protoss immortals and then the immortals should win. At least thats how I see it. Maybe Thors will change something here, because for now it doesn't look good for terran.

13. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Place a bunker next to the tank and it should take care of the immortals. ;)

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    bunkers will help, but if the protoss hav any warp rays...bunkers history the tanks still will have trouble living in a protoss raid or full invasion

15. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Hence missle turret's! , and have alot of bunker's with missle turret's around the place alogn with seige tank's behind bunker's! :)

16. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Good defense

Colossus will have fun trying to break that defense

17. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Trying to? , let me rephrase that , the colouses will have fun slaughting the terran's defence's.

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

don't forget zealots can also charge now, thus enable them to close down the distance quickly

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I definitely see a trend of de-emphasizing the importance of the Seige Tank in the Terran gameplay.

This could be a good thing. In SC1 Terran players were forced to use Seige Tanks. You couldn't win without them, even against Zerg. Technically, you could bottle the Zerg up with only M&M, but all he would need to do is tech to either Lurkers or Guardians and you were finished.

Terran has to go mech to win.

The Seige Tank is virtually the Terran's only option at countering a number of units... including:

Reaver
    Static Defenses
    Marines
    Mass units
    Lurker
    etc...

In SC2, we're seeing a shift of the Terran emphasis. They're still going to be reliant on the Seige Tank for versatility in a number of situations, but it will no longer be their only go-to unit. Now emphasis will be more upon the Banshee and ATG superiority. The Terran will finally have a unit that can "bombard" from locations unachievable by the Seige Tank.

Also, the addition of the Thor will completely make up for the need of a Seige Tank if the Terran player chooses to use that option. It's not that it will replace the firepower of the Seige Tank, but will rather give a different strategy and approach.

However, the Terran will still retain their classic "one-shot momentum" features and be a strong mid-game race.

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The colossi is here, prepare for the slaughter!