SHOULD blizzard impliment veterancy for terrans?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Meloku, Aug 14, 2007.

?

Should blizzard impliment some sort of veterancy system for the terrans?

1. Yes, and the upgrades should be deciscive.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but the upgrades should be minute, similar to a weapon or armor upgrade one can research.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, this does not fit the feel of starcraft.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

SHOULD blizzard impliment veterancy for terrans?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Meloku, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Meloku

Meloku New Member

To clarify the poll:
    option 1) you would see considerable upgrades in the unit, such as increased range, different color explosions/ attack, and higher damage and HP similar to command and conquer.
    option 2) the unit would be upgraded, but hardly noticable.

There is no doubt in my mind that blizzard is playing with a veterancy system for the terrans, the question is, should they implement one?

Some say that is goes against the feel of starcraft, I however believe that according to lore it is justified. Here's a quote from the viking page on the blizzard site:
    "Terrans have had difficulty finding pilots who can master both combat modes. Typically viking pilots are killed quickly in their first fight as they struggle to handle this complex machine. If they are talented enough to survive, they will last for hundreds of battles, becoming the ultimate terran aces."

There is no doubt in my mind that a system could be implimented, and I for one believe it would give the terran a very cool and distinct feel. Can blizzard pull it off? Should they pull it off? Which option do you chose and why?

2. Meloku

Meloku New Member

This system would be for the terrans only, lich king. and if you feel it would be too powerful, you might think about option 2.

3. jingwu

jingwu Guest

they could have some sort of upgrade that only apply to units that have X amount of kills

4. Meloku

Meloku New Member

Well, what I'm asking is, should they have a system, just for the sake of having it? Example: a unit gets 5 kills, it gets +1 damage, and that is it. It wouldn't keep getting stronger as you seem to be worrying about.

As far as the upgrade goes, I think it should just come naturally.

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    It could definately be interesting and even could possibly be balanced but it would as much sense for the portoss race to have one as much as the terrans which would really ace out the zerg even though i guess they could compensate for that by giving them even larger swarms. Also if implemented the bonus should be relatively minor but if a unit has killed it should make a semi noticable difference. Also this would be a good way to make abilities that are to poweful for a unit to start out with but still be available to the unit with the unit gains enough experience.

The biggest downside to this sort of thing is it could quickly start to resemble C&C and WC3.

6. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

At the very least every 100 kills will give a unit +1 hp and every 250 kills give the unit +1 dmg. That is the only possible option I can see. If anything, I would say... NONE AT ALL!

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I think not a damage increase, but an increase chance to dodge under cover, and an increased chance to hit on someone under cover.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I voted no, because its too much of an advantage, but it would actually fit terran lore, more kills = better pilot = better skills

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes. something new like this is always welcome. and blizz can balance it out.

its really suited for terran, they are MARINES after all. makes each races more distinct from each other.

10. slugonice

slugonice New Member

Let's try it. The veterancy system might be a blessing in disguise. But i think it should be for aesthetics only / bragging rights THAT YOU KILLED a lotta enemies. No improvements in anything. just simple bragging rights

11. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

nope.. veterancy system will parody Command n conquer battle style... starcraft is starcraft and if they will ever change stuffs,, it will surely be not something like veterancy... ^_^

12. paragon

paragon Guest

ewww no. The only game that does veterancy right is company of heroes.

and upgrades are decisive. unless you want some +10 ZOMG KILL EVERYTHING RRAR UBER SUPER UNIT. no. that would be retarded.

13. DaygoWop

DaygoWop New Member

like zeratul has said, it does kind of fit terrans feel. but it would need alot of testing and balancing. I doubt they will implement this...

14. Darkmer

Darkmer New Member

The ultimate question is asked: Why does killing 5 zerglings attacking your bunker suddenly give you more damage or armor? Does simply killing the enemy make you that much more skillful?

Again, this kinda helps out turtles too whom hang in their base and rack up those kills, making them even better at turtling it up >.>

If they include it, make it like 5 kills = MAYBE +1 attack +1 defense. But to be honest, most units in Starcfraft don't pass 5 kills unless you are like a seigetanks or a capital ship.

It will probally never be used and the effect so minimal it doesn't matter. It could be there for novelty. I just don't want this turning into WC3 though.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thats the reason why heroes are made.

10 kill will result to an increase in rank and so on. +20 hp +4 damage or something. not really that imba, he will still die anyway. plus adds more strategy and tactics. put him up front as a tank or place him at the safely at the back for greater damage output.

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

what's with the people using balance as an argument?
    "omg only terrans gets vet, it's so imba!"

it's only a bunch of numbers and everything can be balanced, it's like saying
    "omg only terran gets siege tanks, imba!"

personally i like the idea, with the right numbers, this idea can be balanced, and it'll further enhance the uniqueness of the races

17. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

so if u have a gun, kill somebody the gun automaticly gets 3times as strong?.... ranking belongs to C&C games, not the starcraft universe

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

so how do you think real life veterans gets better the more they fight? it's like every day job, the more you does it, the better you become. haven't you played any rpg games, do you find leveling up in those game illogical?

nobody is saying kill one unit to get 3 times stronger, it'll probability like kill 5 units to gain 10% damage. this makes sense because the from his experience, the veteran will be more accurate with his weapon and know which spots to shoot deals the most damage

19. Meloku

Meloku New Member

maybe you missed the part of my post where I justified it, but if not, I will give further explination!
    Lets say you're a marine, and you're shooting down zerglings in a battle. You would learn things like, aim for the head. Aim for the legs. This is compensated for doing more damage. You also might learn things like, dodge the claws. Step into the attacks, this would compensate for having more HP.

20. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

If were going by this logic, then marines would move and attack slower if they are severely damaged. I see where you were going with this but all it does is raise more and more complexities that could ruin the fun of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.