Shield Battery

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Aug 20, 2007.

?

Is it a sound idea?

1. Good idea

100.0%
  2. Good idea but only affects units

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The old style shield battery is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have my own better idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. We don't really need the shield battery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Shield Battery

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Aug 20, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I really Hope this unit returns in any form.

Having said that I think the shield battery could be made more useful.

My suggestion would be to have the shield battery produce an aura that boosts shield regeneration rate instead of directly charging the shield's. This would make it easier to work with and make it more useful altogether since you would be able to keep your units attacking while they receive a passive bonus. There might also be the possibility of having this aura boost the shield Regen rate of buildings.

What do you think?

I put this on the Battle.net forums if you want to leave feedback there here is the link
    http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?ForumName=suggestions&ThreadID=196055

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think shield battery isn't really necessary. I don't think anyone used it in multiplayer.

If you really want it back, a passive aura where it would require units to hang around the shield battery instead of an instant recharge would make it even worse than it was in SC1 IMHO.

But Protoss players have done fine all this time without the shield battery, so I don't think it is needed. Also, I would expect Blizzard to be balancing the game based on the Protoss not having it, so the end result would be a Protoss that doesn't need one or OP with one.

3. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Phase-in Shield battery would be cool.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    ???
    Explain what you mean by that

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

Phase-in is a new protoss mechanic where you get build units and place them anywhere on the map where there is pylon power.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Do you mean warp in? I know what that is

I was wondering what he meant by Phase in shield battery.
    Does h mean something that will protect units while they are phasing in or something else.

7. Ych

Ych New Member

I think it is a good idea. But I prefer the shield battery to have the auto-cast ability. It would act just like the moonwells in WC3 that units near it will automatically recharge their shields. That way, more people would actually build them in SC2. Since Blizzard is introducing the autocast repair ability for the SCV, why not do that for the shield batteries also? I would build shield batteries for sure if it was autocastable.

In order to balance it, I suggest maybe upper the price a bit or heal less with its available mana.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think the price is right on. Doesn't it cost 100 now.

Autocast does sound good too

9. Ych

Ych New Member

Yea if I remember correctly, it costs 100 in SC1. I really hope that Blizzard brings back the shield battery because it would further differentiate the races. On top of that, I hope that Blizzard also adds some new mechanics for the Shield battery. I know they can create something cooler then what all of us have thought of so far.

Heck, I'm loving all the new Protoss Mechanics. If the Shield batteries are brought back and improved, it would be a good day to be a Protoss player.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I'm pulling for the ability to recharge building shields, but if that happens it would warrant a cost up page or at least an upgrade to be used so as to avoid making photon(err phase) emplacements from being too OP

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

if the shield battery is to come back it will need some significant improvements, the most important aspect would be improve it's cost effectiveness.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It needs to be smaller one of the problems is it is so huge that you can't get it close enough to the front lines without walling yourself in unless you place less cannons and units there. That rwally hinders its usefullness

13. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Here is my idea for a completely new type of Shield Battery for the Protoss:

It will have the same stats more or less as the Starcraft 1 shield battery and 300 energy. It would also have an ability called Shield Recharge - but here is the big difference. Instead of charging your units' shields individually, it works like a spell. After clicking Recharge, you get an AOE circle about, say 1/4 of Pylon power (or smaller for balance reasons). Any units in the AOE of the spell get their shields fully recharged in about five seconds. The ability would cost 150 energy, so you could only use it twice per Shield Battery. Another limitation is that you could only use it in interconnected Pylon power. So if you have two main bases for instance, the Shield Battery that is in one could not recharge unit shields at the other expansion, because the Pylon power fields are not physically connected.

14. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    you guys say that nobody ever really uses it but i use it all the time, it is actually a really good advantage in a battle when you use lots of archons, considering there mostly shield anyway

15. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    we could add a upgradeable pylon ability that regenerates a soldiers mana once they step under the pylons influence this would not occur with mobile pylons.

16. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

Shield Battery is amazing in Starcraft. It means early game you don't have to worry as much about being rushed because your defense will almost always hold. Mid game it means your bigger support units survive longer. And late game Carriers get a quick recharge before going back into battle. But I would like it like the W3 moonwells as well. Not that it was hard micro it but it would make it quicker for attacks and defense. Warp back, recharge, warp out to a staging point.

17. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    thats a good idea Seradin that would be well recieved with other protoss players

18. b0urne

b0urne New Member

yes. this is a wicked idea. i suggested the original pylon having an MP bar in my thread, but your idea of having the option of upgrading only ground pylons (ie: no option for Phase Prisms) would create more of a balance. put in an MP bar and your set.

now deciding whether to keep the original functionality or implementing BirdofPrey's is debatable. But if you keep the original, don't make the recharge affect buildings. I say this because often I point and click the ground nearby units that need a recharge; i don't want my MP wasted on buildings.

also in reponse the Ych9's auto-cast ability: i think this will be a given if (i mean WHEN) the battery is implemented, just because they are using autocast in terran SCV's AFAIK

blizzard is so lucky. not only do they have intelligent people working for them, they also have us. :)

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I thought about it but that seems like it would be a bit OP since pylons cover the whole base it would give a boost to every unit. The whole concept is you put a shield battery at a defensive position that makes it last longer but if the enemy bypasses it you are still screwed. If pylons recharged shields it wouldn't rweally matter where you got attacked

20. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

For me if ever they will put a shield battery in Starcraft 2, the Protoss become more powerful, so the Terrans dont heve the chance to win zerg also.?