Sensor Tower on Starcraft2.com

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ninerman13, Oct 24, 2007.

Sensor Tower on Starcraft2.com

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ninerman13, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Terran Sensor Tower Official!

[img width=670 height=502]http://www.starcraft2.com/images/screenshots/ss57.jpg[/img]

[img width=670 height=502]http://www.starcraft2.com/images/screenshots/ss56.jpg[/img]​

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/sensortower.xml

So it looks like the Sensor Tower compensates for its amazing detection abilities by being revealed to the enemy. It also appears that it can no longer be upgraded into a Radar Tower, as nothing was mentioned in the description. Nothing was mentioned about enabling Missile Turrets to become detectors either. So the new Sensor Tower seems to detect everything in its radius, including enemies in the fog of war and unrevealed territory. Sweet.

Bonus 800 minerals for a New Thread of Extreme Interest!

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

c00l midweek update

edit: strange it seems to act like a radar tower

3. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

for a minute there i thought the barracks were cloaked

I dont know if u guys notice, but the siege tanks shoot alot faster now

It makes sense to make the sensor tower to have radar tower. In one of the demo, when you build the sensor tower, its range was very limited and IMO i consider it useless. Then have to spend more money just to make it useful. I like this move, but im gonna miss the cool satellite looking upgrade

4. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Yeah I was wondering too 'Did siege tanks always shoot this fast?'

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Yeah tanks can shoot really fast and considering it's its non-siege attack, it looks too powerful. (visually, not damage wise)

About the tower: I like the idea but I think it'd be cooler if the positions of enemy units were updated less often (i.e. make the excalamation marks move less smoothly, like every 2 seconds) because that would show the enemy's position and keep the Terran guessing a little for the exact location of troops at the same time, which would add a little thrill to it (remember the motion tracker from AvP2?).

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

nice new artwork

7. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

@kuvasz

That would make it a radar tower. The reason why there are delay in the motion tracker in AVP2 is that tracker is pulsating some sort of electromagnetic wave in an area. When a electromagnetic wave hits a target that can reflect the wave, the reflected wave is transmitted back in a certain amount of time (depending how fast the electromagnetic wave can travel) to the tracker thus creating a signal. The reason why the tracker must pulsate the electromagnetic wave emission is because if it doesnt, instead of a single dot signal, it would be a long snake like (depending how the target is moving). You can say it indirectly feeling targets

Sensor is a direct feeler

8. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Sweet man, great job finding it! it looks great and they improved the graphics and the texture :thumbup:

9. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Maybe Turrets get detection back? I´m worried that stationary detection will always reveal you. Or the active sensors can be turned on/off?

10. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i say they should get rid of that feature of enemies can detect the sensor tower. Turrets lack detection already, why make the terrans even more vulnerable?

And another thing, how are the zerg suppose to detect the sensor tower?

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

It also depends how the Sensor Tower is revealed to the enemy. If it is just a red dot on the screen, than it's not as big of a deal - since Terran defenses are so good - especially with the new advance detection. In this case, Missile Turrets probably would not need detection back.

On the other hand, if the Sensor Tower is revealed along with the terrain around it (so the enemy can see other units too) than I definitely can see returning the Missile Turret's detection ability. This way Terran players could detect cloaked units early on without revealing themselves.

And as far as the Zerg go, I am sure they can detect the tower with an advanced version of the Overlord's abilities. How, you ask? No clue. We didn't cover Zerg physiology in my intro bio class last semester. :p

12. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Finally a new update. Not much though.

13. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I change my opinion about the enemies should not be able to see the sensor tower. It would be very imbalance if the enemies cannot see it. Cuz if they cant, all you need to do is build a sensor near their base, and you can see what what his base is doing.

14. kuvasz

Hungary
    Heavyarms2050: Is there such a thing as a Radar Tower? Also, what were you trying to say with the lecture on AvP2 motion trackers? lol

15. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

@kuvasz
    Yes radar tower exist. What i was trying to say about the motion tracker is that the reason why the signal is updated every 2 seconds is because the motion tracker is pulsating an electromagnetic wave in an area and it must wait for the electromagnetic wave to reflect back from the target. Here a diagram:

[​IMG]

16. kuvasz

Hungary
    Er... I knew that ;D I was only saying that I'd like it if it worked like that in SC2...

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Great update but you you people PLEASE stop using the pictures on the unit page and go to the screenshot page and find the FULL size pictures there

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    the sensor towers detection radius is seen by the enemy, thats how it works. It looks like a giant red circle to the enemy.

19. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Thanks. That falls into the same category though as the red dot would - no units are revealed, so the pros > cons.

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

probably you can only see it in your line of sight