SCV's repair ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Jun 7, 2008.

SCV's repair ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Jun 7, 2008.

1. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I searched for a thread which talks about the SCV, but no answer for this unit.

I want to talk about the repair ability of the SCV. As we know when we select a SCV we can repair damaged units and structures.

Problem : how to repair group of units? I know you must hold shift right then all the units you want to repair. But most of the time you also select full healed units and structures. So what I do is placing the damaged units in one side, and the healed ones in the other size, so I know where to use my SCVs.

I hate that anymore.

So what I suggest for those who want to repair a lot of units and structures :

1. select the SCV(s)
    2. click on the repair icon
    3. draw a rectangle around the group(s) of units and structures susceptible to be repaired

So normally the SCV(s) will repair the units from the closest ones to the most far ones from the SCV(s), not the most damaged to the less ones.

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    SVCs have auto-repair. You don't need to have a repair selection box for it.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Auto repair? Ew.

What if I'm really low on minerals and I need some SCV shields but I don't want to heal?

Seperate the tags with commas people .-.'

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'm guessing you could turn it off. Or else it would be really retarded like you said.

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

SCVs won't repair units that are at full health, so there's no need to separate them. Selecting healthy units accidentally makes the process slightly less efficient (there's only so many selections the SCV can "remember" due to programming limits*) but it's not a huge deal.

*Those limits will be higher in StarCraft II, of course.

6. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Auto repair ? what's this ? How to use it ? .....

what I want is that the SCV go to the damaged units I select.

If they can auto repair the damaged units, so how to do ? Does that mean that the SCVs automaticall go to repair damaged nits even if you didn't give them order to repair them ? Does that exist ? Never seen that ...

7. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    the auto-repair works like many spells in WarCraft3, wich were Auto-casting.

If the SCVs are mining i don't think they will stop mining and come from ur base to the enemy base you are attacking to repair your damaged units. I'm sure the auto-repair can be turned off (if auto-repair makes it to final version) and i'm also sure SCVs got a Auto-Repair range in wich, if they are IDLE, they will repair a damaged unit if it's one there.

It will be exactly like medic's ability to heal in SC1, only diff that it will "heal" mechanical units, not organic, and it will use minerals, not mana/energy! I guess this is how Auto-Repair works ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

now I am playing to Starcraft Brood War. Can you, please, tell me how to give the automatic repair ability to the SCVs ?

I want the SCVs to repair ranges of damaged units without ordering them to do that.

9. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Is it confirmed that Auto-repair will work like spells in WC3? I was expecting something more like the Medic, healing any damaged unit it notices, but being able to turn it on/off would be nice.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I heard it works like the medic's auto-repair. But no idea if it can be turned on and off, even though it should be.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You can't do that in Broodwar. It should stay like that in Sc2 also as it would be real annoying for the SCV to break formation or get in my way during intense micro sessions.

12. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

I'm sure they have thought about the whole "SCV Wall" scenario, and if the auto repair makes it to the final version, they will have the ability to turn it off.

13. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    If the ability makes it to final vers, i'm sure u could be able to turn it off, because SCV repair is not his primary role in the game, while medic's heal is medic's primary role on the battlefield..

14. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

it would be imba for terran to have automated repair units along with their massive metal men outthere... do you consider infantry as mechanical ones nowadays?? lol.. which made me wonder what was the medic doing anyway??

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In my opinion they should have a selectable Auto-Repair. It wouldn't run up and Repair every damaged, reparable unit in the vicinity, but so that when you order them to repair a Bunker or something, and they get it back to 100% health, they won't just stop everything and let the enemy destroy it. Instead, once they get it back to 100%, if it gets damaged again, they'll start Repairing it again.

However, if they just had an ordinary Auto-Repair, like the Medic's Auto-Heal, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The only annoying thing would be when they start running off to Repair lower priority targets, like Vikings or something, instead of staying on the Thor, Battlecruiser or Bunker that they were 'assigned' to.

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

having auto repair is indeed lorewise legal and acceptable but it should be adjusted to an energy costing skill if repairing units and resource costing with structures... Only in that terms will i agree on auto repair

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's plausible, but you wouldn't want it to end up as Terran basically being able to heal all their units. The Medic covers most of them, so I still feel there would be a slightly different system for ships and vehicles though. Having a slower rate of healing and costing minerals is the best way to go about that in my opinion. If the actual Repair ability had to be changed, with an Auto-Repair function for instance, I'd much rather it have a focused Auto-Repair than anything else, because it was so frustrating to ordering your SCV to repair a Bunker, only to have him heal it up to full health after the first attack and stop repairing. It would also help to sort them all out just before an attack, before you've even started taking any damage, so that your focus can be returned to your troops.

18. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Auto-repair seems to be a good solution for us. In the menu we should choose between :
    1. healing the closest unit from the SCV
    2. healing the most damaged unit near the SCV
    3. healing the selected unit(s) for the SCV. I mean here that you assign your unit to the SCV

It would be great to see the ARMS of the SCV morphing into repair laser guns once they start repairing the damaged units and structures. Now the SCV have two sorst of arms when recolting resources. When now they will repair they will get a third sort of 'hand" for the repair mode.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the arms that the SCV has now. A drill and a clamp, what's wrong with that? It sure beats the fusion cutter and tiny little claw that the StarCraft1 SCV had and makes them look much more industrial.

20. SmoothBore

SmoothBore New Member

What? How you gonna be dissin' the fusion cutter. Old SCV's had way more dexterity. Fusion cutter can attack things, cut minerals, and at lower intensities, weld metal. Plus the small hand thing lets you grab more types of objects.

What can a clamp and a drill do? Nothing, but clamp and drill something. How do you repair a tank with a clamp and a drill? " Well sure I'll git 'er fixed up, just gotta get the old clamp, and drill a big old hole through that sucker...".

And no, I don't care to debate this point any further.