SC2 Patching

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by AmagicalFishy, Jul 22, 2010.

SC2 Patching

1. AmagicalFishy

AmagicalFishy New Member

Hey, guys.

I've built a program that automatically updates SC2, assuming you have the patch files for 1 - 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17.

I would like to pick up my copy and patch it w/o having to download them again. Do you know if, come the 27th, these patches will be the same—or will Blizz. require a special retail patch that prevents a person from using these same patch files?

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    So you're going to use the beta patch files on the retail release?

I think that's probably unnecessary. The retail release will have all the beta patches and will be "vanilla." Also I think it would be dangerous to try to apply beta patches to a retail release.

3. Amduscias

Amduscias New Member

Cologne, Germany
    Like Joneagle said, it wouldn't be necessery since the retail is at patch 15/16 (assuming that they stopped developement in the beginning of July for the DVDs to be pressed). Also, i can guarantee you that the patch files will not be compatible with the retail. There'll be a new patch like v1.1 you got to download right when the game comes out, which includes everything necessery.

4. asdf

asdf New Member

blizz also doesn't allow patching to an earlier patch, IIRC. each patch comes with a check to make sure you're not applying an older patch to a more updated game.

you'd need some kind of hack around it to force it to work. not sure why you'd want to though, unless there's some kind of problem with older replays.

5. AmagicalFishy

AmagicalFishy New Member

Ah, alright.

I wasn't even thinking of when they decided to actually press the game DVDs—for some reason, I had the thought in my mind that all the updates during beta would be implimented via patch to the retail release . . .

. . . but that would defeat the purpose of a beta, wouldn't it? My bad, haha.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The DVDs are probably being burned as we speak. They aren't sitting in a warehouse with a build from a month ago. They aren't burned until the last possible moment.

7. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Fishy, you may have gotten that idea because it has been said there will be a patch on day1 of release. It's not gonna update the retail with beta patches though. It's the stuff Blizz is working on right now after phase 2.

8. Amduscias

Amduscias New Member

Cologne, Germany
    They ARE already ready. Imagine, they gonna publish the game WORLDWIDE at the same day. So they need to ship them to stores, internet dealers etc. in time so they can sell them right when the day comes. For example amazon: They ship the DVDs on Monday, 26th to costumers who have preordered. Therefore, they need to have the DVDs on Saturday, 24th, to get the packages ready without any delay. Even if Blizzard is pressing (DVDs/CDs are not burned) the DVDs in some EU-Factory (maybe France, since Blizz-EU-HQs are in Paris) they need to at least plan in 2 days for shipping to the dealers, mean they need to have the DVDs ready on Thuesday, 22nd. They surely started earlier in production, so they are at least producing since the middle of last week (about the 14th). So, the retail will be without the latest patch. Furthermore, they need to ship the Master-Version to the factorys even earlier. This may even not have implemented the patch before......

There will definatly be a patch on release......

9. lux

lux New Member

They better be ready lol

10. DREAD

DREAD New Member

Las Vegas
    Hell blizz is going to be patching this game at least once a week after initial release.... so we have plenty of patches to look forward to ... i think they have had 2 already after just a week of release