SC2: 512mb or 1gb GPU?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by fordinski, Jan 27, 2009.

SC2: 512mb or 1gb GPU?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by fordinski, Jan 27, 2009.

1. fordinski

fordinski New Member

very soon im going to purchase computer components and build a gaming computer. the catch is, im on a budget, and ive got a question.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150337

im going to get a 650 watt power supply, 4 gigs 800mhz ram, phenom 9950 black edition processor, as well as the video card in the link. i have a 22 inch monitor that supports 1680 x 1050 resolution.

my question is should i shell out a little extra cash for a video card with 1gb of video memory to play starcraft 2 at 1680 x 1050? or should 512mb be enough? i know starcraft 2 does not have insane textures like crysis or other high end games, but the amount of units that typical starcraft matches have scare me, and im wondering if a 1gb video card will me worth the extra 50 bucks because of the extra memory bandwidth it offers? this is essentially why they offer 1gb versions of lower end graphics cards so people can play at higher resolutions with less slow down. any help would be appreciated.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

If the option exists, personally I'd go for the 1 gig. Sure, SC might be able to run sweet on 512, but that's not the only game out there. I say if you've got the dough, go bigger and better.

3. fordinski

fordinski New Member

thanks for the feedback, but i imagine the answer lies in constructing additional pylons. i need the extra pylon bandwith to handle a higher resolution.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I'd go for the 1GB model. These days it's not that much more than 512MB and more framebugffer memory means more/better textures and will benifit all of your games, as well as image and video editing

5. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Sc2 doesn't look all that demanding, That being said, Im pretty sure any video card released in the last 3 years would play it fine..

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    *checks release date of his 7300GT*

****. But all the parts in my system are old so even if my GPU could handle it it wouldn't be enough.

7. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Its not only the memory that matters, its more the processing power. My AMD Radeon HD 4850 can definitely handle it, and its only 512Mb. Crysis runs fine on Normal, and High, but sometimes lags on Max.

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I can run most things on max, idk what my card is though. Hold on and I'll get it

It's a 512.

How many cores is your processor?

9. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada

Made in 2005. Crysis actually lags on high though, but its my processor. Or Windows 7 compatibility.

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I meant fordinski

>.>

11. fordinski

fordinski New Member

as stated in my first post i would be paring it up with a phenom 9950 black edition. 2.6ghz quad core 125w.

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, you should be fine.

You've got similar specs to my system, and I can run max on most games even with all my extraneous programs.