RUMOR: NetEase Claims StarCraft Online License

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Imagine., Feb 1, 2008.

RUMOR: NetEase Claims StarCraft Online License

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Imagine., Feb 1, 2008.

1. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

2. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Please no, i don't want to see another year wasted on a MMO.

MMO games only generate funds... The game play is usually really boring..

3. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Why do you guys think its an MMO? The name Starcraft Online makes me think of whatever new online setting is going to support SC2, or whatever part of battle.net is going to support SC2.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think Starcraft Online if it exists would just be SC2 stripped down to MP only (no campaign or offline skirmish) and be able to be bought and downloaded online for cheaper than th game $15-$20 as opposed to $50 or so for the full gae)

5. Zerat

Zerat New Member

SC as an MMO ?
    Nice idea, but when I think of warcraft I think it could kill the game, They gave us WoW and stoped building Warcraft rts type of game, unless they will make a WC4 based on the Wrath of the LitchKing, but that could be borring.
    Creating a MMO based on a RTS will stop any continuation of the game as a RTS becouse they will focus on the MMO.
    And think about the "evolution" of characters .. Terrans and protoss are ok, but what about the Zerg ?! You start as a larva, later evolve in to a zergling and that's it.. how many skills could a zergling/hydra/ultra have ?
    So like BirdofPray wrote .. it could be SC2 with MP only.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Be carful with your terms though. MMO means "Massiveley Multiplayer Online" Its just a prefix and while I am sure your comments are based on the idea of SC being an MMORPG there are oher posibilities. The two things that have been throwm around the most are an MMO Shooter and and MMO RTS. Those would work quite well (the former would work a bit better) and would be rather unique since there are only a handful of MMOFPS andto my knowledged no MMORTS.

Also the name is prey

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Starcraft could work as an MMO in Savage style. One person as commander building base, managing workers, giving orders etc. and others as units. The problem with evolution would be solved since you don't play as one unit all the time, just change when new ones are researched and you have money. (In Savage players earn their own money for fighting to buy better units/items etc. but they can also ask commander to give them money from team's resources)

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First off, I don't see why this has to be an MMORPG, but that's not to say that it won't be.
    You probably won't be able to play as Zerg if this is an MMORPG, just like how you can't play as the Scourge in World of WarCraft. However if you could, you wouldn't have to actually evolve from a larvae, you'd just start as a Hydralisk or whatever, just like how in World of WarCraft, you don't actually start as a baby. I don't see why it's impossible to give Zerglings, Hydralisks and Ultralisks enough abilities to be playable. The Zerglings could have Rogue-like abilities, Hydralisks could have Hunter/Mage-like abilities and the Ultralisk could have Warrior-like abilities. What's wrong with that?

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    MMO Shooter as BirdofPrey, couldnt that be StarCraft: Ghost???

10. SD-Count

SD-Count New Member

QFT

Even if they were to make SC something else, I don't want to see it being spearheaded by any other company than Blizzard. Customer service makes for good MMOs, and from my experience, CS from every company except 3 are next to non-existent.

11. IO

IO New Member

If starcraft is to become an MMO, then blizzard must turn it into an MMO unlike any other ever seen, new concepts that were considered to risky to be put in these types of games before would have to be put in, if not then it will just be another insane money making machine that's not worth half the 60 dollars it costs.

In other words, i would only buy a SC MMO if they decide to do something really unique with it (like mixing up many different genres into one, or something...)

12. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    The problem is, what genres would you have to mix to have something not done before?

13. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Sadly, this is probably just the name Starcraft original will take on in CHINA. This probably isn't actually interesting news unless you live in China. Sorry to rain on the parade, this is nothing.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No. Ghost as supposed to be a regugular third person shooter with th ability to do multiplayer. It would work like all the other shooters where you oin a everand start fighting

an MMO shooter has everyone in the same world and not limited to 16 player severs on a predefined map

The MMO part is the key

15. AddictedGhost

AddictedGhost New Member

I really hope and think they would like to develop a over sea connection. Not stuck to Europe, or America or Asia. This would be great. "Connecting to Universal battle net!" Thats what I hope. And it probably to support online games, going to beable to watch them 2 mins after or something! Online replays! GREAT GOING BLIZZARD! I knew something good would come out of WoW, WoW generates alot of minerals xD

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Are you talking about a battle.net vesion of EA's Battlecast system for C&C3?

17. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

i wouldnt mind a mmofps/rts hybrid.
    for example One player establishes the base, collects resources and builds the units.
    and other players on that persons team control the units. In which case, i really wanna fly a dropship full of marines accross a map now,

18. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I think someone said something to that extent already
    >.>
    <.<

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. i like it. i think blizzard is trying to make starcraft bigger, after the released of sc2 tehy will start making a starcraft online coz they want starcraft to be as big as warcraft. what more better time to release a starcraft online than right after starcraft 2 is released.

i vote for starcraft online the graphics would be superb than world warcraft.

i wan tto be tha marine inside a drop pod. 8)

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A lot of you seem to think "OMG same company, same genre, it will turn out like WoW, which I don't like." but you could not be more wrong. SC Online would be as different to WoW as Starcraft is different to Warcraft III.