Return of the Sunken!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Apr 16, 2008.

Return of the Sunken!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    In the current build, the Sunken Colonies and Spore Colonies are back!

From batch 35;

"The Dev team has been working hard to find the best defense mechanic that works for the Zerg. The latest builds have brought back Sunken and Spore Colonies, with a new twist. Sunken and Spore Colonies can now uproot and crawl to a more advantageous position. Incidentally, Protoss Phase Cannons no longer have the ability to change positions.

Giving the Zerg mobile defensive structures feels a lot more right as this ability opens up many more aggressive strategies in both Zerg mirrors as well as combined with Overlords generating creep to push these defenses up towards the front lines. Furthermore, there definitely is something about watching defenses crawling around that just seems very Zerg-like. Its worth noting that Zerg defenses while in mobile form have fewer hit points and are more vulnerable to attack. "

Karune later said on Bnet that the Queen still constructs all defenses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's your thoughts about this?

Do you like the return of the Sunken/Spore, or did you like the Clutch more?

Do you like the uproot ability, or do you feel that it belongs to the Phase Cannon?

Should the Queen or Drones contruct the Colonies?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    So give us phase cannons back!

I like sunkens and I like the idea of them crawling, but having them back at the cost of protoss' defence structure doesn't sound right. If they're also made by drones now it's a huge step back despite the addition of crawling.

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i think both ideas of the cannons and suken and spores moving. TO me the sukens and spores moving around seems more real tho. I mean if u look at the suken in SC that thing looks like a flower that can just walk away ya know. The only question i got is who builds the sunkens and spores now.

I think the protoss cannon should gain movement from an upgrade of some sort. I could understand why they took it away cause cannons seem a bit over powered if you can just move the same cannons closer and closer with out having to build a new one. At least with zerg the sukens and spores attack different things, a cannon can attack anything and detect so it beats a sunken by a long shot here.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    And that's not the case with the new Colonies? XD

The real reason is obviously because it would be lame to have both Zerg and Protoss Defenses reposition themselves in the very same way.

What worries me though is that Terran Bunkers, Turrets and Sensor Towers can be salvaged and moved THAT way (Along with our mobile Siege Tanks). A lot of defenses will be repositionable.

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

gasmaskguy u have to think about it this way. The protoss only have to make a cannon to cover land and air.
    The zerg have to make a creep colony then a spore(for ait) or sunken(for ground) if u make it to air and quickly take out the overlord or attack all sunkens the plan fails.... Lets not forget range...

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I have nothing against about the new sunken, but what about the Queen? Will the queen even be usefull now, is she even in? I thought she would be the new key defense for the Zerg... Im a bit unhappy now....

7. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

dude we will have to wait and see what has happened to this lady... I didnt dislick her defence but i dont really wanna see her go and they didnt say she got axed so you should take it thats shes not gone.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Please use ","... Nearly unreadable. What Im just saying is, how can she be of use without the "new" defend buildings (the shrieker etc.).

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Maybe you guys should reread the opening post you might notice something...

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Thank you, but he just edited that didn't he?
    So the queen will construct the sunkens + spores! I like that, a good "half-way" solution.

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Its been there for about 40 minutes, but I don't blame you you for not rereading the first post. Just remember after Q&As Kaunre has a tendency to release a little bit more info on battle.net. So information like this may get edited with updates.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, I didnt read the whole post (I readed the batch, so I thought that + what we should answer was enought).
    Great change!!! TY LordKerwyn!

13. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Queen still makes defences! YES!!!

Now I have to go edit my queen thread since the defence structures have now changed.

If she makes spores as well, does that mean the shreikers are axed as well?

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I am glad that Protoss have lost the Phase Cannons. They don't need movable cannons if they have units which teleport and can react very fast to in-base trouble. A few Zealots and maybe an Immortal or two are well enough to hold down the base along with Photon Cannons.
    Why would the strongest race in Sc2 become really mobile, their balance to being ownage 1:1 is not being the fastest or most mobile and being expensive. From when you can move a GtAll structure anywhere and it has shields along with strong units around it just isn't balanced well.
    Makes more sense for the Zerg to have movable defensive structures because 1) they are both specialized to hit ground or air and 2) they are produced by another unit which is expensive. I think if you make a few of these and your Queen dies it would be extremly convenient to move the structures to a better position until you get your Queen back. This stops gameplay from being centered around the Queen since you can still defend when she is absent by moving the structures to a better position.

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Phase cannons have the same damage and hitpoint of photon cannons.
    Remember how quickly those die?

I liked the swarm clutches better. Not only were they cheap and small but they seemed to fit the Zerg mass units mentality.
    Also zerg are generally more unit based anyway with less infrastructure.

I Liked the idea of the phase cannon. Protoss defenses despite their ability to do everything were a tad expensive and ended up getting owned anyway. I think they need the improvement to justify the cost. its not like it was powerful when phased out anyway.

In don't think the ability to move sunkens fits the Zerg. Sunkens were already a decent defensive structure and Zerg are more oriented to using units to defend anyway. I think the Protoss defenses need the improvement much more than the Zerg defenses

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    To save time I'll just post from another thread since its relevant to yur post, BoP.

I have an idea for the Phase Cannons, allow them to channel shield points to any other cannon. Everything is explained for its self as you can imagine the Pros and Cons, a few being, they channel 50% to the Cannons on the frontline then fast units own the cannons with less shields, the pro of that is the fact you can protect specific cannons against certain attacks, for example if the cannon is getting sieged, supply it with shields but at the risk of weaker cannons behind the frontline.

17. Ablitterator

Ablitterator New Member

To save time I'll just post from another thread since its relevant to your post, Psionicz.

I quite like that idea Psionicz +1 to that idea. In theory you could have a Phase cannon that can not die if you channeled enough shield to it. Plus the shields auto regenerate allowing for the chance to do it over and over.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That would make cannons too powerful.

19. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I had to quote this because I couldn't remember the questions...

So, I think Blizzard made the right decision because now the Zerg aren't vulnerable early in the game and don't have to rely on the Queen as the only thing able to defend.

I liked the return of the Sunken Colony and Spore Colony because well, it's that warm feeling like welcoming a friend to your home who you haven't seen in a few years. Something familiar and not totally new is good.

I like the uproot ability because the Zerg having creeping and crawling buildings fits the type of ability that the Zerg should have. The problem with the ability is that now the Phase Cannons have nothing that makes them unique.

I believe Drones should construct the Creep Colony and the evolve it. Queens being able to build them makes the Queen kind of a superunit because it can change the game.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    But any unit can change the game. Also please note they said an equivilent to the sunkun colonies were brought back, not the exact form. I'd guess they are smaller and slightly weaker since they can move.