Resource gathering systems

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

Resource gathering systems

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

I think that since blizzard is trying their best into makeing all 3 species uniq , the resource gathering sys should be changed to make them even more uniq. I think bouth protoss and zerg way of gathering should be changed. I have 3 ideeas:
    - first protoss minerals gathering - the probe can no longer gather minerals, but instead the protoss get a new unit - the worker - witch is another robotic drone but bigger and can gather from 3 mineral deposits at once. The speed of gathering is increased but to counter that you get less resoures. Also it no longer needs to return to the nexus and acts as a resource silo as well but only works in a psy field - that would make the protoss more uniq and make their mineral gathering uniq.

- second is protoss vespan gathering - the assimilator can hold up to 4 probes inside and gains with each probe a sort of furnace like additions on its sides to show how many probes are inside. The gathering speed and amount is to be changed for balancing issues.

- third - zerg mineral gathering - each drone attaches itself to a mineral deposit and forms a crystalid - a small chamber in witch it consumes the mineral deposit without returning to the hatchery - but the crystalid send a connector to the hatchery for mineral return. the zerg would have to build their hatchery but the drones are protected in a tight carapace structure.

For the zerg vespan i'm still thinking of something.

The sketches show what i mean.

2. IO

IO New Member

:powerup: Interesting idea, it would make the races more diverse, and i can't really think of any downsides to it right now.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i have the perfect idea for zerg gas gathering - make the extractor gather gas on its own, it is a living structure after all, so the zerg wouldn't require drones to gather gas. and the precious drones can be used for another task.

obviously the extractor would cost more than before.

4. Anubis_theDark

Cool ideea, with gathring speed modifications it would work perfectly.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like the zerg ideas but the Protoss and zerg ideas look too similar. also needing two worker types is generaly annoying.

Heres an idea because the 'toss are the boom faction they only require on nexux and all expansions can have a cheaper building that can act as a resource gather site but not build probes. The probes take the minerals to a "resource node" where it is warped to a nexus. This would allow you to expand more cheaply and would also help when you geyser is a ways from the nexus

6. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Anubis_theDark, cool Artwork nice job :)

7. Anubis_theDark

Heres an idea because the 'toss are the boom faction they only require on nexux and all expansions can have a cheaper building that can act as a resource gather site but not build probes. The probes take the minerals to a "resource node" where it is warped to a nexus. This would allow you to expand more cheaply and would also help when you geyser is a ways from the nexus

yeah bit that would make no uniqness. another structure but the same gathering method. Bouth protoss and zerg require uniqness and i don't think that the way i imagined them would make them the same. Just because you add a resource silo but your probes keep mining ain't uniq. That is what i'm trying to do - make each gathering way uniq.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The way they are alike in your suggestion is because Zerg saty at the field and minerals are deposited directly into your account no trip same thing with the worker you suggested for the 'toss.

9. Anubis_theDark

Well the zerg crystalid needs a hatchery nearby for connection and basicly the minerals are tranfered via conectors to the hatchery while the protss worker only need a pylon field. The nexus in not necessry, i draw it just for the show, but it is not needed - only a pylon - and the worker mines from 3-4 (balanceing issues) minerals at once practicaly at higher rate but for less amount (again amounts/speeds are to be decided for balancing).

10. markus

markus New Member

Sounds like the way wisps gather resources in wc3. THe idea is ok... could be developed further. Perhaps you could 'cut' the thing that connects the frones to the hatcheries. Or perhaps you could 'gorow' the tube so that it can connect to any hatchery even if it's really far away. Ofcourse, it should take a while to reach there and if the path get's cut, the drones need to grow the tenticle thing again.

You should submit this to the competition unit design

11. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I'm okay with the current system, while it would be interesting if every race had it's unique way of gathering resources I really don't see anything wrong with the current one. It would also need to be VERY cleverly done in order to not upset the balance (worker raids, base defence), for example, as a zerg you could just drop 6 banelings in the middle of a terran's crystal field and kill everything that's black, as opposed to the terran, that would first have to destroy the crystalid and then get to the juicy bugs. While the resource gathering system is kind of dull at the moment, the game focuses more on the "war aspect" and I don't really see the need for a change.

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I like the SCV-s and the probes now, cause the games won't depend on how you gather the minerals.. Your ideas are interesting, but I don't think they use the same time to gather... It would need balancing.
    So back to my opinion, I would be happy with the old stuff

13. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Yea the way they mine the minerals are so cool
    SCVs drill the minerals
    Probes collect the minerals just like in SC but the minerals looks so cool especially the yellow minerals lol

14. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

somehow, these mining methods just dont feel right

15. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

Some people play Warcraft a little to much and not enough Starcraft.

16. SD-Count

SD-Count New Member

Two things:

1. Your idea: I see no reason to complicate macro more from your ideas, although if a great idea came up I would certainly support it. Your ideas, although unique, they seem to be just shallow ways to put make up on mineral gathering. The protoss and zerg ideas both is straight out of WC3, and also, I think the assimilator idea is horrible. In Blizzard games we already almost never have to guard resources. The resource points are 'safe' from most attacks as if you attack a side base with full force you risk getting blasted in your main base, and if you go side base with a strike force, you risk getting killed by full force. Most maps have many safe points, but with the new terrains and such I don't know how this is going to play out. If SC2 makes resource points more king of the hill it's actually worth it to guard a resource point, I see a point in your new ideas as the person would have to build a base there anyways, rather than just put an assimilator everywhere and get rich off gas.

2. Your picture: Don't like it nearly as much as last time. When you do full flat enviroment you always want a constant VP, at least per mini enviroment.

Although I can see macro changes, I do not agree to your specific ones.

17. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

don't get me wrong,your ideas are nice,but this is just too warcraft-like for my liking.not much about the Zergs way of collecting minerals,but the new assimilator literally screams "Undeads from Warcraft 3"...

18. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    I agree with everyone who said this is to warcraftish and not starcraftish. Good ideas but they really do not work for mineral procesing by increasing mineral production but limmiting the ammount you get. That is.....well......uhh....hmm....how do I say this ... nvm you already know.

19. Nuclear Launch

Nuclear Launch New Member

I think it would be cool if the zerg extractor had a cord attatched to the hatchery as well. enemys could aim for the cord so that the player would have to wait for it to regrow to get back at collecting gas

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

great idea.

why does workers mining mechanics are teh same for the 3 races ? it should NOT. and that is the MISTAKE in starcraft 1. SC2 is NEW. so change how mineral and gas gathering for each race!

im sick and tired hearing complaints and comparing warcaft and starcraft. warcraft UI and race gathering resources style> starcraft 1 UI and race gathering resources style.

you say zerg, protoss and terran are completely different. well warcraft races are too, and the way they harvest is DIFFERENT TOO. whats bad about it? sc1 - 1997 or 98 blizz have NOT thought about it. warcraft 3- 2003 blizz have though about it (new style of resource gathering to MAKE EACH RACES MORE DIFFERENT FROM each other).

there.

and i think applying it to sc2 is a PLUS more or less. anyway im still ok with it if they wont change it =p