Reputation and Thank Yous: The proper way to use them

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by BirdofPrey, May 25, 2008.

Reputation and Thank Yous: The proper way to use them

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Now that we have a reputation system back I felt it would be a good time to give a briefing on how to use it.

In the previous iteration of the forums people gave out pointless powerups for pointless things. This abuse of the system by giving several powerups for a single piece of art or funny joke rendered the system meaningless. With powerups given for frivolous purposes any powerups given for good posts become overwhelmed by the frivolous powerups and the system becomes useless in determining the person's true contributions and demeanor.

To prevent something like that from happening this time around I urge all of you to give reputation increases only for somone who is actually helping out and contributing to the community. If somone makes a well thought out post please give a rep increase and/or thank. It is OK to give a powerup to an artist if their art contributes to the forums as well as occasional powerups for good personality but just remember not to overdo it.

In addition Please don't exchange rep where by you powerup somone in exchange for them powering you up and don't do neg wars either. If somone lowers your rep read the comment and try and fix what you did wrong; don't give negative rep to that person. if you feel it was in error just contact a moderator.

The same thing goes for the thanking system. If somone makes a post that contributes to the forums and is well thought out and written give them a thank to show your appreciation. Remember though to only use it one good posts and not waste it on just another funny joke or because somone said something nice to you.

A note to the moderators:
    I would hope that the moderators keep on the lookout for abuse to the system and take appropriate actions if they see any blatant abuse of the system. Last time it was left alone for the most part leading to holiday/birthday powerup parties.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
    Itsmyship likes this.
  2. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    go BoP, i agree.
    i don;t want a thousand power ups for beign a girl xD
    and thx for the artist bit =P

3. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Good post and all (rated), but why should we have two systems for the same thing?
    I suggest that we use one of them (thanks maybe?) for all those "pointless things" like good jokes or art. Of course still no thanking because someone thanked you (it even sounds stupid), no thanking for basically everything, multiple thanks for the same thing etc. but the lighter things that don't contribute much for forum as a whole, while still mean something to one or few people.
    There is no point in having two separate systems if they're going to be used in the same way.

4. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    *nods*
    it seems redundant, but Mee, I like your idea. It still seems strange, maybe we'll see a difference in the two in an upcoming way, just relax and let things roll. Even if they're used in the same way but for different things, I think it's a good change of pace for the forums. It gives us something to figure out while waiting for the shop, does it not?

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It dos kindof seem redundant and I already pointed that out to the admi, but until he says anything just don't go overboard.

Me I would use the thanks system for if somone made a sig for me or spent the time sifting through the notes from Blizzard to figure out the state of SC2 while rep would be used for regular good posts

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Great post, BoP except for one tiny detail.

We CHOSE not to get involved in moderating power ups because we wanted the system to be a tool of the community and for its purpose it worked rather well. The problem, in the end, was a lack of discipline and respect for the system which was only perpetuated by the members.

We have discussed a number of options including resetting power levels periodically and having depreciating values over time, but again and again the same point has come up: this is a tool for the community to express its opinions and is not another extension of the Mod responsibilities.

7. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    *claps* yay Jon. Resseting it would suck, because what would have been the point to getting the power ups. When ther eis somethign running smoothyl, we alwyas have people abuse it, sadly. It's kinda the way the world works. But hopefully most people will do what this was intended to be for ^_^

8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    200 minerals on the system collapsing/losing purpose in less than 4 months. Jon, faith is a nice thing, but be more rational.

9. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Is their a way to subtract power? I didn't see any button to subtract power.

10. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Yes there is click the button that would add rep and then change it to disapprove.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Reputation is the green button at the top right of the post next to the report button and the thank you button is at the bottom right where the quote button is

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    When you give a reputation point you get this message:
    ... may you be lucky to "get" the same point back (or something like that). Am I the only that it sounds a bit like giving PO´s for PO´s.
    (I know the idea behind the message isnt that, but it sound a bit like that).

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes that does sound a bit odd

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well I just put that because when I complained before about people having power wars and such the response I got was something to the effect of power levels being meaningless so why bother which is exactly the attitude that led to it becoming that way.

Anyway, I'm not asking the mods to actively police the logs since you have better things to do; what I am asking you to do is be on the lookout. If you are in a thread and you see a major exchange of powerups try to stop it before it gets out of hand and if someone comes to you who believes someone is abusing the system at least spend a few minutes to look into it.

Keeping the system working is a community matter and mods are a part of the community.

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well that's entirely fair and I agree totally :)

Edit:
    I hate these smilies so much

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Me too, they dont fit into this layout/theme/world.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Seeing as we now get minerals for reputation I felt like bumping this for benefit of the new users

19. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Rep up's and thanks

Hey guys, I just wanted to remind you, to not give rep up's or thanks for gifts this season, we had a huge influx of them last year. They don't really mean anything if you just hand them out. You can still thank peoples posts, and you can still give them a rep up for good things, but don't hand them out like you got them in a bag.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2008
  20. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    But it was fun :D