Replacements for Firebats

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zak Frost, Jul 25, 2008.

Replacements for Firebats

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zak Frost, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Zak Frost

Zak Frost New Member

Florida
    I hate the Firebat and the Reaper(I recently competed the original Terran campaign and used Firbats a total of 1 time, and they give you some of them, free, 3 times. And the Reaper's story just keeps contradicting itself. Why would a worst of the worst prisoner only have 2 handguns? They probably had worse weapons than that in the prison they were in. And don't even get me started on the whole Mercenary Haven thing.), but Terran needs a good melee/close range infantry unit, so I thought that the community should come up with an entirely new idea for one. So let's throw some ideas around.

Mine: Higher health than a marine(I was thinking about 75), armored and for a weapon: duel wield upgraded chainsaws(1-2 range, 7-15 damage((It would hit stuff with both at the same time, and possibly do almost constant damage)) and would be great against zergings and siege-tanks in siege mode.), it would fit Terran terrifically: It's make-shift, it's fast and crazy, it's based off current human technology. Also it would just be fun to have a unit that has chainsaws.
    But I really want to hear your crazy ideas, too. As well as any constructive criticism... or non-constructive "that would suck"s. Because, I want to have a good Terran close range infantry unit in starcraft 2.

2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I hate the firebat for Starcraft 2, but the reaper is awesome, sorry. He is harrassing the enemy

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    They're not simple handguns, they're P-45 Scythe Gauss Pistols. VS light armored units, a pair of those do more damage than a C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle (the Marine standard armament).

Yeah I agree that the Merc Haven is pretty weird. I hope they redesign it into something completely different. Blizzard said somewhere though that they are pretty unsure about the structure theme and wether they should keep it (I am not 100% sure about this though).

They don't have to have one. It would make Terran more unique not to have a melee unit. Terran is about range and firepower. Only reason I can see is so that Dark Swarm can be properly countered, but I think that the Jackal could get the bonus of doing full damage to units under DS instead.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Because handguns are light, and weight is a crucial factor when it comes to jump-packing.

As for your chainsaw idea, the military doesn't use soldies with chainsaws because they're not practical. Firearms are much lighter and since they're cheap, they're much more cost-effective, on top of being a lot more effective overall.

Not having melee units (beside SCVs) makes Terran distinct, not out of place.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. Zak Frost

Zak Frost New Member

Florida
    What I am saying about the handguns is that a guy like a reaper(prisoner or mercenary version) doesn't care about functionality or practicality, he wants to destroy things... lot of things. Meaning the the game sprite they have designed doesn't fit the character they have designed. I want to know why a crazy, bottom-rung, killer of killers guy has the patience and metal capacity to use a jetpack for jumping, learn how to arm timebombs on the go(while getting shot at, no less) and have someone explain to them why they can't use a giant thing that blows up everything, instead they have to use 2 handguns. They have just made everyone think that it is a replacement for the Firebat, which it is not, and screwed up the storyline, I don't really hate the unit(as long as it costs less or the same as a marine) Just some of the stuff around it, I suggest they give that storyline to the marauders(if they end up keeping them). Change the name of the reaper and make it some kind of scientist guy, it fits better with the actual abilities of the unit. And I just want a melee/close range infantry unit because without it there are only makeshift counters to siege-tanks and other large, long range units... Okay just siege-tanks. Maybe I just suck, but without a good close range unit I can't figure out a way to kill those stupid siege-tanks while playing Terran before they decimate my entire base(wraiths can't shoot ground units for crap, you don't get battlecruisers until too late, I hate having hit for hit battles with siege-tanks and you have to micromanage marines so much to get them close enough so they can't get shot. Of course, there will be new units in SC2, but who knows if the same stuff will happen again.).

And if you just don't like the chainsaw idea, I just thought another close range unit:
    some/a Future-y automatic Shotgun(s). That would also be fun to use.

6. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Marauders are actually supposed to be the Firebat replacements.

As far as Reapers go, you are correct about the convicts' feelings but you are forgetting something. Being trained to be a Reaper is their PUNISHMENT. They are made to do what they do. So it doesn't matter what a Reaper would personally prefer. In my opinion, jump-packs and hand-guns = thumbs up. They are designed be to raiders, not to be in the thick of combat.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Zak Frost. In TvT, Banshees will most likely pwn Siege Tanks. Also, with a little micro, you can land Vikings right next to Siege Tanks.

8. Zak Frost

Zak Frost New Member

Florida
    No, life in prison is their punishment, this is their one chance at freedom. And, no it's not about what they want, it's what they are good at, which is not small weapons and complicated technology that requires a second grade edu-ma-cation. They got in prison for being rash and violent, so the generals should give them weapons that fit that persona, e.i. rocket launcher, chainsaw, shotgun or just enhancements for fist-fighting(last one not recommended).

And you're right about the marauders, but what tier are they? Because the current model has what? 150 health? That doesn't sound like a early unit. But I just checked the current tech-tree and all you need is a barracks and a tech lab, so... I think that is a great replacement for the firebat, if not a little overpowered. Chainsaws are still cool though.

9. Baal

Baal New Member

In the Woods...
    But aren't all Terran criminals "resocialized" before being brought forth into their armies? This way it wouldn't matter what would fit individual or group personas since they're being re-educated anwyays.

10. Zak Frost

Zak Frost New Member

Florida
    No, the reapers were immune to such resocializing techniques, that's why they were given a chance to win their freedom by surviving 2 years on the job. None of them have succeeded yet, of course.

11. kuvasz

Hungary
    It's the correctional facility that draws the rules and not the criminals. The army needed a quick raiding unit so they gave out jump-packs and pistols, regardless of what the inmates wanted or were good at. Even if forced to practice, man learns.

12. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    but thats stupid, you don't conscript someone with experience in rifle shooting and then make them lay mines...

13. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Well Overmind then they could resoc specific guys then.

But yeah, Reapers are awesome brutal psychos.

14. kuvasz

Hungary
    Prisoners nowadays are made to do chores and work at construction sites even if they don't have experience in that kind of work. Why would anyone care if a convict doesn't like or have experience in a certain activity? :wacko:

15. DarkSonicDX

DarkSonicDX New Member

Heres wat i thought.I think the Firebats got transform into the Jackal vehicle.(Ignored the tranform word)

16. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Yes that's what happened to the firebat. But with no close up range unit. It will be harder to protect your ranged guys. In the old starcraft you could have firebats, then marines, then seige tanks. Great defence for zerglings, or zealots.

17. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    All Terrans are ranged (cover your ears SCVs) because if they don't have enough manpower to stop the enemy from getting that close, they might not have enough men to pull out a victory.

18. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

That's true about half the time. You may not have segie tanks in range untill the zerglings are attacking the marines.

19. Gforce

Gforce New Member

ussualy the tanks are bombarding the lings before they even get close to the 'rines, other wise, whats the point of artillary?

20. Ych

Ych New Member

Well, we have the Marauders to slow down incoming enemies. So I don't think the Terrans need a melee unit to help tank. Infact, without any melee units, it makes the Terran more unique compared to the other 2 races.